Destination suggestion?...romance AND fishing... - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-23-2010, 08:22 PM

Destination suggestion?...romance AND fishing...

Any suggestions where my wife and I could go for a week long vacation south...that I could easily fish from the beach in the mornings? and be back by lunch to hang out with her for rest of the day? I'm an experienced Atlantic salmon and brook trout flyfisher from eastern Canada... but I've never fished the salt. Would like to go sometime in the next month.

Cheers,
Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2010, 06:49 AM
President of CAC

South? Thats a big geographic area for any meaningful details to really help. I suggest that you get a group of such areas, list them and then do a search with key words here. That might work best for you absent some of the guys giving you isolated specific advice. A search might be more productive for you and provide a greater span of Info
Old 03-24-2010, 07:27 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Hi Steve - welcome to the forum.

This is a tricky balance between what she wants, what you want and money. Typically the more money, the happier both will be

Here are a couple of examples where I have enjoyed the arrangement:

Virgin Islands, lagoon tarpon near resort. Often the landlocked lagoons, sometimes on golf courses, are loaded with tarpon. She can sleep in luxury while you walk over at daybreak and get your ass kicked by silver kings. Do a little research - St.Martin, St.Kitts, etc.

Bermuda - gorgeous destination, a broad range of species but it's a little early to go now since it's been such a bad year (cold fronts). The bones are on the west end, Somerset. There are amazing beaches there and the island is a lot of fun. Too cold yet though.

Aruba - very far south so you'll be in good weather even this year. Not a lot of bonefishing opportunity but I have caught several there over a few trips, and explored the island to the Baby Beach area as well as lighthouse and the most popular spot for bones Malmok. This would favor "her" over "his".

Bahamas - offer eye-popping flats fishing and there are resorts that will pamper her to delight. There are many islands to choose from, as they say "no ugly ones" but to please her tastes you should prioritize the quality of the resort and surrounding area since most of the Bahamas offer great fishing. I don't know your/your wife's tastes so it's hard to say which, but start by looking at Grand Bahama, or maybe one of the Sandals resorts on the out islands. Stay away from Exuma (Four Seasons) unless you like getting harassed by the local guides for fishing on your own.

Puerto Rico - The San Juan jet set has great hotels and beaches (Isla Verde, etc) for her and you can walk the beaches in the morning with a fly rod but you probably won't see bones, an occasional tarpon. Mostly other species like cuda, jacks, etc. There is a huge population of tarpon in the San Juan lagoons, but they are so jaded by heavy pressure they were surprised that I actually hooked one on a fly despite acres of rolling tarpon - but it left me wondering about all of the other many lagoons on the island and if they might have populations of untapped tarpon?

I would say you'd do well to prioritize her comfort and enjoy whatever fishing you can sneak in. Otherwise neither will enjoy
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 03-24-2010, 08:49 AM
President of CAC

Juro just provide a great list and I would still suggest that you do a search on those specific locations where other members here will have mention specific lodges and locations with comments on their stay as well as other activities for non fishers. I remember such posts . Juro forgot to mention the Florida Keys, which is a great place to visit specifically Key West , a great town to visit....Good luck and let us know how you made out.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:49 AM

The keys - oh yes! Especially if you are a Jimmy Buffet lookalike like striblue
Old 03-24-2010, 11:02 AM

Also - try pinging Petvicar about Los Roques. Certainly the "his" part will be good, I suspect the "hers" will too.

Also as a Canadian citizen you can find something in Cuba which would fit the bill for both of you, despite the fact that much of Cuba's bonefishing is impacted by netting. I hear other species e.g. tarpon is spectacular.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:07 PM

Belize was perfect for that type of trip. I did it about 5 years ago.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:48 PM

Other possibilities: Marco Island, Sanibel Island & Captiva Island. Both good fishing areas with plenty for the wife to do.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:19 PM
Surfingfireman

I second Belize. I got married there 4 years ago and it was where I was initially became a victim of the bonefish addiction curse.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:54 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
It really depends how much you want to spend...
Old 03-25-2010, 04:07 PM

For now, I would not try southwest FL like Sanibel. I live down here and the fishing is just not there yet. It would be better if you come down in May. By then the tarpon and snook will be back. The water is still to cold. Having said that, Sanibel has incredible beach fishing for snook, sometimes sight, sometimes blind fishing. The wife will have unlimited things to do, shelling, shopping, etc... You could get a guide and tarpon fish as well.
Dan
Old 03-25-2010, 04:14 PM

Wanna trade a tarpon trip for a striper trip? I'm in Chatham, on the elbow of the cape and things will bust wide open in late May / June around here.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:43 AM

Hi,

Despite the warning about guides on Great Exuma, we (four of us) had a most enjoyable time at Hartswell vicinity (can't give direct links because of Forum Rules, but PM me and I'll send the link).

Don't know what the femme expects, but the accomodations are clean, handy to town, and all basic amenities are supplied. Fishing is literally right out the door, with kayak supplied and guides available on request.

I loved the place and have sung its praises far and wide.

Cheers,

Eric
Old 03-26-2010, 12:50 AM

I had a great time also in Belize, where the target species were much more varied than on Great Exuma. Daily we fished for tarpon, snook, bonefish, and a wide variety of snapper-types. Accommodations were more than first rate; the Central American cuisine most friendly, and the lodge run by dedicated professionals. Many tours are available in the area (should you need to look at Mayan ruins and the like. Personally, I'd much rather look at rolling tarpon), and Belize City has many very-safe attractions.

I'd be so hung up on the fishing, I wouldn't care about anything else.

Nevertheless, I strongly recommend it for one and all.

Again, PM me, if you want a direct link.

Petri heil,

Eric
Old 03-28-2010, 07:12 AM

while juro already mentioned grand bahama, i think it should get a closer look.
freeport is a good quality resort area with great places to stay and tons to do for couples. lots of night life,shopping restaurants etc, and it's quite reasonably priced. there is also top notch bonefishing (cuda & shark) within 20 minutes of the resort/tourist area. if you hire a guide they will pick you up at your resort or hotel. there are also plenty of cottages to rent on secluded beaches that are loaded with bonefish and reasonably close to civilization (30+minutes from night life etc). check it out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.