Vince's Acklins Adventure - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-22-2010, 01:08 PM
*** FORUM SPONSOR ***

Location: Western New York Steelhead, Bahamas Bonefish, Wild Western Trout
Vince's Acklins Adventure

Working on the report. Here are a few photos. Great trip! Unfortunately we did not get to meet up with Juro's group, but I did see them speeding past us racing to some flats trying not to waste too much valuable sunshine!

God does not deduct from man's alloted time the hours spent fishing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2010, 01:37 PM

Nice pics Vince. Headed down for two weeks , Acklins and L.I. Is there anything new with Bahamian TSA re: fly lines on way thru Nassau?

Thanks..........CC Charlie
Old 03-22-2010, 02:39 PM
In moderation

Hey Vince

That 4th pic looks like a blue spangled emperor fish. If so what is it doing in atlantic waters?

Pete
Old 03-22-2010, 04:28 PM
*** FORUM SPONSOR ***

Pete, that's a mutton snapper. Common in the Bahamas--and great tasting.

Charlie, no problems whatsoever bringing reels with line on them thru security in Nassau. They are trying to streamline the process.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:24 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Great pics as usual Vince!

Nice cuda! I hooked and battled a 5 footer on the flats the last day on a fly (7wt!) and I will NEVER pass by another chance to do that again as long as there are no bones or permit around to spook. Hit like a tarpon, ran like a bone, porpoised. I ended up losing it after a good battle but frankly I was almost thankful to not have to deal with the teeth.

Also Bob mentioned that you donated a Cattaraugus trip and he was the lucky winner. Hope to see some nice photos from that as well.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 03-23-2010, 07:07 AM
*** FORUM SPONSOR ***

Thanks Juro!

I did get to meet LeeG from this forum, who was staying up north. I believe he is still there fishing, snorkeling and catching lobsters for dinner!
Old 03-23-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc charlie
Headed down for two weeks , Acklins and L.I. Is there anything new with Bahamian TSA re: fly lines on way thru Nassau?

Thanks..........CC Charlie

Due to luggage lost on prior trips, my FIL and I carried on everything and had no problem. I asked TSA if ok in NYC and they said yes, and then from Nassau to Acklins I carried on (15) flies, boots, 4 reels and 2 rods. Everyone had a rod tube on the plane. Security in Nassau was insane. There was a 3 hr wait on the Sat I tried to return. The line went all the way outside to the New terminal being constructed. It split in two and then there were 2 x-ray machines. Then there was another search and a pat down search. Then random searches at the gate.
Give yourself lots of time, but traveling with (fly)fishing equipment had never been easier for me. Good luck and enjoy. Two guys who were at AIL didnt get their luggage till monday (arrived sat).
Old 03-23-2010, 02:40 PM

Thanks...WW

I'm a former east ender, got tired of stumbling over rocks in the middle of the night. Much easier fishing up here on the cape. Hey does.? Johnny Kronuch still have the shop in Montauk?

CC Charlie
Old 03-26-2010, 03:28 PM
*** FORUM SPONSOR ***

Monday thru Friday was spent exploring the central and southern portions of Acklins. Tom Lew and Mark were great exploring partners.

The weather was good and we explored some of the many nooks and crannies of Acklins. The bonefishing was a bit slower than normal but we still had some good flurries of activity.

Some of the highlights of the first part of my stay include catching a nice mutton snapper on the fly, which became dinner at club Rolex; Tom landing some nice jacks on the oceanside; Mark being surprised by

the vicious strike of a nice barracuda that he eventually landed; Lew and the huge jack he hooked which then proceeded to bust him off; snorkeling in a big blue hole; grouper fingers, cracked conch, cold kaliks and karaoke at Club Rolex! Hanging out with the locals at Club Rolex a few evenings

Our stay at Ivels B & B was wonderful. We had the bonefish suite which was privately situated in the back but still close enough to see the sunsets over the water out front. Ivels is a very nice B & B even by American standards. It was super comfortable and they have a reverse osmosis system which supplies

unlimited pure fresh water. They are also ideally situated to explore either the north or south ends of Acklins. There were flamingoes out in front of Ivels and we caught bonefish within walking distance of

the lodge. Well be back.

On Saturday I met Bill, Mike, Steve, Hans and Jim at the airport for our week staying up north at Chesters HIghway Inn Bonefish Lodge. The weather this week turned out to be even better and all days were mostly sunny except the first day, which was overcast.

Bill and Mike Hanlon fished with guide Elvis Collie for the week while Jim, Hans, Steve and myself explored on our own. We caught bones, barracuda, jacks, snapper, sharks, grouper and conch. I had shots at two different permit during the week. Bill and Mike did very well fishing with Elvis. They caught many bones, some big cudas, as well as assorted jacks and snapper. They also had several good shots at permit though none were landed. One afternoon we saw a school of bones feeding on the surface in 5' of water. Their heads were coming out of the water! Another day Hans hooked and lost a big cuda that put on a great aerial show for us. It finally cut him off after a brief fight. Jim lost a big cuda that hit his streamer so viciously it cut thru his wire leader attached to his fly!

It was a great week at Chesters and the Chisholms showed us good old Bahamian hospitality.

We explored remote creeks and bays where you could catch your own conch for dinner.

We saw ospreys, sea turtles, spotted eagle rays, manta rays, an octopus, many sharks, kestrels, herons, egrets, oystercatchers and many flamingoes. Mike snorkeled two evenings and even explored a cave with Jim

It was a true nature lovers adventure. We fished hard and ate well both weeks.

Two great groups of guys that I would go anywhere with. Everyone appreciated the beauty that Acklins offered and enjoyed hunting fish as much as catching them.

see the school of bones??

Last edited by Vince; 03-28-2010 at 01:24 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.