Acklins Trippers - Packing List? - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-24-2010, 01:39 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Acklins Trippers - Packing List?

What are you packing? I doubt I will even come close to the weight limit.

Here's my list (more later):

clothing:
- 2 pairs patagonia quick dry long pants and nylon web belts
- 2 long sleeve fast-dry flats shirts
- 2 silk weight patagonia long sleeve capilene white shirts
- a few fast-dry underwear
- a few pairs of really good socks
- hat, spare
- face shield
- sunglasses, spare
- lightweight rain jacket
- sungloves, spare
- sandals
- casual shorts

(anything else I will be wearing)

medicine bag:
- sunblock
- small first aid to carry
- basic toiletries (like very basic)
- epi-pen
- vitamins

accessories:
- 2-way radio
- small hand-held GPS
- camera, spare battery, extra SD card, and charger

fishing:
- 7wt H2 T&T 4pc
- 8wt Rplx Sage 5pc
- two Danielssen reels, spools, leaders
- fly box
- BYO tying kit for my own use (sorry not enough to share in one zip loc bag)
- chest pack / bladder
- marlwalkers

other:
- plastic flask
- power bars
- pen, paper for keeping a journal

Maybe a small guitar unless Felton has one... more later
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2010, 07:21 PM

I think that I can deal with Juro's packing list okay. I won't bring a guitar because no one would be happy if I did. Should I bring ear plugs if Juro brings his?

As to a stripping basket, Vince suggests that it is good if casting from rocks or from the shore,but I don't envision doing much of that. Am I missing something? I have stocked up on a few of David's recommended flies and nailed the $109 airfare into Acklins, so I think that I am good to go and to kiss the lovely weather in Maine good bye for a week.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:55 PM

I can propose a few more items to bring:
lip sunblock
compass
whistle ??
gravel guards

GMflyfish
Old 02-24-2010, 09:26 PM
*** FORUM SPONSOR ***

Location: Western New York Steelhead, Bahamas Bonefish, Wild Western Trout
a soft sided cooler for lunches/drinks if there is not one avaiable there.

double check that $109 flight--maybe they only have you for a one way?

passport and a copy just in case

OTHER GEAR
--Pliers for removing hooks/cutting wire
--Flies:
--Various streamers/poppers for barracudas, sharks and jacks.
--hook sharpener
--line cleaner
--nail knot tool (large paperclip)
--nippers
--Fanny pack/chest pack
--Pliers/hemostats
--walkie talkies
--backpack for flats

CLOTHING & ACCESSORIES:
--Passport MANDATORY (and photocopy) & Driverís License
--Credit cards
--Airline tickets
--Alarm clock
--Casual tropical attire for fishing & relaxingClight colored & light weight
--Shorts & long pants for fishingClight colored & light weight
--Rain jacket
--Light pullover; wool or fleece
--Wide brimmed or long-billed hat to protect neck & ears
--Wading shoes or booties
--Socks to prevent blisters when wading
--neoprene socks
--chota sand guards
--Waterproof Sunscreen
--lip balm--at least SPF 25
--sun gloves (optional)
--finger glove-stripping guide
--Polarized glasses (side-shields helpful)
--lens cleaner
--Insect repellent
--Bathing suit & snorkeling gear if desired
--Camera & film & batteries//extra cards too
--Small flashlight
--1st aid kit
--RX drugs
--Cash for tips, alcohol
--dry bag for boat/camera
--notebook & pen
--small binoculars
--zip lock bags & garbage bags
--leatherman tool
--Duct tape
--moisturizing lotion
--tioletries
--Important phone #=s
--soft cooler
God does not deduct from man's alloted time the hours spent fishing.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:57 AM

Bahamas Air has a special........March 1-25 $99 roundtrip plus tax

anywhere they fly.

CC Charlie
Old 02-25-2010, 08:18 AM

I always overdo. This list is for a trip where permit and tarpon were also target fish. I do llike to take more than just a couple of rods. I broke 2 on one trip and I was glad I had the extra rods. This trip I will be taking 3 rods in the 7/8 wt range and 2 reels along with 2 rods in the 9/10 range with 2 reels. If I don't use them thats fine too. You can't buy one down there.

I will pack much lighter on cloths this trip.

Bahamas list. (sent to someone making first trip down)

Carry on as much as you can-reels, rods, cameras, necessary medication, etc.
If your checked bag doesn't make it at least you'll still have the important stuff, which may be difficult or impossible to obtain when you arrive.
We will need to organize our stuff before we go. Split up the rods, reels and flies into different bags incase one bag gets lost we will still have what we need to fish. I try to carryon my primary rods and reels and pack the backups in my checked bag. You CAN NOT carryon flies.(I may try to carryon a box of flies this trip)

If packing rods with checked luggage, try and split them up in different bags, or put one rod in a checked bag, and the others in your checked rod holder. That way if one gets lost, you'll still have something to fish with while you wait for the airlines to get you your stuff.

Make sure your checked luggage is easily identifiable-put unique stickers on them, or tie a bandana or colored string onto a handle. This way you can spot your bag right away, and this will also discourage theft of your bag. I tie a colorful belt around mine.

BONEFISH TACKLE
*9’ rods from 7 to 9 weight for bone fish ***4piece travel rods best
10wt for Permit and small tarpon
9wt is the best if you have only one rod and will be fishing for bonefish, permit and small tarpon
(I will bring 1-8wt, 1-8/9wt, 2-10wt and 1-12wt........*** advise you get a 9wt or 8wt, I found a deal on a another 10wt so we will have a backup at 10wt. If you would rather get an 8wt that will be covered. The 8 is probably better strictly for bonefish)

*Corrosion resistant reels with high quality drag and loaded wf/floating saltwater taper fly line w/ 150+ yards of #20 backing more backing is prefered especially if fishing for permit. I like 200yds(I will bring 2-8wt, 1-9/10wt, 1-10wt and 1-12wt... one of the 8wts is strictly a back up reel....*** advise you get a 9wt or 8wt)

*extra line & backing
(I try to have one extra line for each reel and a spool of backing. May also cary a intermediate sinking line in that reel wt.***You will need 1 high quality bonefish line, 9wt, and a back up line)

*Tapered 8-15lb leaders from 9’ to 12’; 8-15lb tippet material
8 to 10 lb leaders for bonefish, 12 to 17 for permit. Leaders for tarpon need to have a shock tippet.
***If it is mainly a bonefishing trip I will have two leaders for each day fishing. I prefer floracarbon leaders and tippets.

OTHER SPECIES (barracuda, jacks, tarpon, sharks)
*9’-10’ rods in 10-12wt
*Corrosion resistant reel loaded w/ floating weight forward saltwater taper fly line w/ 200+yds of #30 backing
*Tapered 15-20lb leaders; 15-20lb tippet material; 40-100 lb shock tippet material
*wire leader material

*Spinning Tackle: (I have 2 spinning travel rods and reels we can take. Also some lures, jigs and tube lures for baracuda. They are not too heavy for bones and one handled the 25# cuda I caught.)

OTHER GEAR
*Pliers for removing hooks/cutting wire(***Need to get a good pair that will not rust in salt water)
*Flies: shrimp, gotchas(tan and pink), crazy charlies, mini puffs, bonefish clousers, bonefish specials, epoxy shrimp,. Bring differently weighted flies for different depth situations.
*Various streamers/poppers for barracudas, sharks and jacks (I have these also)

*hook sharpener (I have)
*line cleaner(I have)
*nippers
*knife and knive shapener
*multi tool or swiss army knife
*small tape measuer, for measuring fish length and girth to estimate weight. Its a not good for a bonefish to hang him up by his lower jaw.

*Fanny pack/chest pack(***you will need one of these, not too large. I have a larger backpack that I use as a tackle bag but it usually stays on the boat.
*Dry gear bag ( I have a small dry bag for wallets, cameras etc that your stuff should fit in ok. I am also looking for a larger dry bag for the tackle backpack and rain suits. Ezzards boat is not much more than a john boat and has no dry storage. Make sure you bring your padded reel covers.)

CLOTHING & ACCESSORIES
(***you will need most of the items listed below, I will note the ones I have that we should only need one of)
*Passport and photocopy (or certified copy of birth certificate + two pieces of picture id) passport preferred
*Driver’s License
*Credit cards
*Airline tickets
*Alarm clock

*Casual tropical attire for fishing & relaxing
*Shorts & long pants for fishing
(Where we are going you can basically wear the same thing for fishing and relaxing or eating. It seems that our meals will be catered to us. I always end up packing more but this will do.
3 or 4 light weight long sleeve fishing shirts and a couple of shortsleeve light weight shirts, both vented and quick drying. I like the long sleeve for sun protection.
3 or 4 light weight fishing pants. I like the long pants that are convertable. I fish in them long most of the time and you can convert them to shorts to knock around in.
A few t-shirts. I have about 4 pair of wicking underwear. Exficio. They can be washed out at night and worn the next day as can the pants and shirts. I have just taken them all into the shower with me after a day of fishing washed them in the shower, hung them up and fished in them the next day.
You may wont a couple of nicer shirts and a pair of shorts for flights and Nassau.
A cloth belt of some type, canvas or nylon, for wearing when fishing. Leather will get wet and stay wet.
See below for socks)

*Shoes. (I usually just take a pair of boat shoes or sneakers, sandals and the flats boots.)

*Rain jacket & pants (light shell) for rain &/or rough boat rides (I have 2 packalbe rain suits, Frog Togs, that work well. If you get something let me know so I do not have to pack both)

*Light pullover; wool or fleece (Probably will not need, can wear rain jacket if needed)

*Wide brimmed or long-billed hat to protect neck & ears *** (They make all kinds so find one you like, I have some you can borrow but they do not have the full neck and ear protection like you see with some of the hats. A bandana can also help protect your face from sun and wind. One thing that I would not do without is a hat clip. It has a clip on both ends and one end clips to the hat and the other to the shirt colar. With the wind down there plus the boat moving it has saved my hat after it has flown off many times and guides do not like turning the boat around.)

*Buffs (these things a great for sun protection when you don't want to have to keep applying sunscreen.)

*Wading shoes or flats boots *** (Need a good pair flats boots, booties alone will not do here, most of the fishing we do will be wading, some on sand and some on coral or rock. I like the Patagonia Marlwalkers)

*Socks—to prevent blisters when wading. **** ( I wear two socks inside the flats boots. One is a neoprene bootie as worn by divers and surfers and the other is a thin liner sock worn inside the bootie. You can get the booties from Cabelas or they have them at Gypsy Divers in Raleigh. I do have extra booties depending on the size.)

*Sunscreen/lip balm ****(lots of it and high protection)

*sun gloves *** (I found out the hard way that I needed these. The top of my hands burned on my first trip. Never had that happen before. Also if you have sunscreen on your fingers when tieing a fly on the fish will be able to smell it. I think I have 2 pair but you may want to get some anyway. Fly shops and Cabelas.)

*Polarized glasses w/ side-shields *** (copper or amber lenses are the best. Need a good pair and side screens do help keep out the glare. I always bring a backup pair too. Caccoons makes a fitover that is good as a back up pair for about $40.)

*Insect repellent ***(Will be needed, Deet. Have to be careful with it on the boat when handling fly line. It will gum up the line and make it almost uncastable)

*Bathing suit & snorkeling gear if desired.
*Camera & film & batteries
*Small flashlight
*1st aid kit ***
*RX drugs

*Cash for tips, alcohol, cigars

*notebook & pen
*small binoculars( I have 2 pair)
*zip lock bags & garbage bags ***(wet cloths and such, also the boots will be wet when we leave)
*leatherman tool
*Duct tape
*moisturizing lotion
*tioletries
*Important phone #’s
*Beach towel

*Ear Plugs (Saw these on a guys list and wondered what they were for. He packs a pair for the guy he is rooming with because he snores so bad)

*Stripping Basket. I used a Mangrove Hip Shooter on my last trip and will use it again.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:03 AM

I've never had a problem bringing on a flybox of bonefish flies. I bring one and pack one.

Otherwise the lists looks great and defintiely make everyone excited about the trip. I am pretty good about packing a medical kit that includes things like pepto (good for hangovers and spicy food that I lvoe but doesn't always love me back), antbiotics, strong prescription painkillers (acklins is a long way from decent medical care) and stuff to stop you from going to the bathroom too much and to start you going if you aren't going enough!

Juro, are you prown to allergic reactions or is the epi pen just a precaution? It's a damn good thing to have-especially if your messing around near lion fish.

Lee
Old 02-27-2010, 07:50 AM

One thing that I left off that I would not go without now is a dehydration drink additive. When I walk the flats all day, even when drinking lots of water, I am prone to cramps which can really be a problem for me. The last 2 trips down I used some stuff called gookinaide and had no problems. They have changed the name to vitalyte or hydralyte depending on where you get it. The last i got was at REI.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:25 AM

Thought of a couple other things I want to pack for Acklins - not on the above lists, I believe.
I often take one or two plastic sandwich containers (Rubbermaid or Tupperware type) to carry lunch.
Probably will throw in an insect headnet. Mosquitos may not be a problem, and it likely will not stop the no-see-ums. Also will have some anti-itch salve, for after the bites. They sure do itch.
GMflyfish
Old 03-01-2010, 11:49 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Haha - yeah me too, love that spicy food but not used to it.

I have allergies to bee stings and need to carry the pen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeG
I've never had a problem bringing on a flybox of bonefish flies. I bring one and pack one.

Otherwise the lists looks great and defintiely make everyone excited about the trip. I am pretty good about packing a medical kit that includes things like pepto (good for hangovers and spicy food that I lvoe but doesn't always love me back), antbiotics, strong prescription painkillers (acklins is a long way from decent medical care) and stuff to stop you from going to the bathroom too much and to start you going if you aren't going enough!

Juro, are you prown to allergic reactions or is the epi pen just a precaution? It's a damn good thing to have-especially if your messing around near lion fish.

Lee
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 03-01-2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juro
Haha - yeah me too, love that spicy food but not used to it.

I have allergies to bee stings and need to carry the pen.
I am also allergic to bee stings and that's the only allergy I know of. Been a long time since I have been stung but I carry a epi pen. Had one in my carry on one time, they saw it on the machine and they searched my bag to see what the needle was for.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.