Long Shank Hooks - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Striper (etc) Flies Tricks of the trade

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-16-2010, 10:01 AM
Rupe

Long Shank Hooks

I'm toying with the idea of knocking up some patterns on long shank hooks to (possibly) reduce the bite off's when blue's are in the mix without having to resort to wire.

Any recommendations on a heavy-ish guage pattern? Most of the hooks in my box look too light and I reckon they'll bend out under moderate pressure.

Has anyone else had much success with this approach, or am I being overly optomistic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2010, 11:05 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to polareyez
No, you're not being overly optimistic. It works...Try tying the flies as close to the bend of the hook as possible to increase your chances of not being bit off.

Successfully fighting genius
Recipient of the Silver Horseshoe Crab
Old 02-16-2010, 11:12 AM

long shanks

My favorites:

Mustad S74S (you will not bend these out - even on tuna)
TMC 911
Gami spinnerbait

If you want to get serious with the bluefish, I suggest you get used to working with wire...even if you are already fishing long shanks. Otherwise be prepared to donate a few flies.

PS you can catch stripers on wire.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:21 AM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Rupe, good idea. Here are a couple of long shank hooks - Gamakatsu SP11-3L3H and Mustad 30011. The former is sharp and the latter needs to be sharpened. I assume you plan to tie flies at the hook bend to take advantage of the long shank.

What dates are you planning to fish the Cape?
Old 02-16-2010, 05:05 PM
President of CAC

This is all good info...stripers are head biters and blues are tail biters....as has been suggested... instead of having to change to wire which can be time consumming in the middle of some action...tye some stripers flies at the very end of the shank toward the bend (as has been suggested.....with extra long hooks the shank of the hook can operate as a short wire....not fool proof as long 5 to 10 inch wire but it will work , especially on lip hooking....so tye some flies, exactly like your striper flies except to the hook bend with a big head which will also work on the stripers in the mix
Old 02-16-2010, 09:29 PM

I've had good results with Cockroach flies tied keys style way back on the hook shank. I also have had good results using super braids for tippets when blues are in a shredding mood.
Larry
Old 02-17-2010, 04:27 AM
Rupe

To be honest I'd not thought about the actual positioning of the material on the hook. I was thinking of a decievier type pattern, but tying it forwards so as to conceal as much of the shank as possible - but I'll try both and see how they look.

I know some people have success with wire for stripers, but every time I put it on action seems to dry up. The only exception being when I was on Block a couple of years ago where the blues were very active at night and I was catching stripers at night with wire on, but I guess they wouldn't see it then anyway. I never landed a blue though......

Jim - I'm looking at doing around 9 days either from Wed 9th June if I'm coming solo or from around Friday 19th June if I'm with Slias - though he normally likes to committ to these things about a day before he leaves, so we'll see how we go!

What super braids have you used Larry?
Old 02-18-2010, 05:59 PM

Hi Rupe
I have used both Spiderwire and Fireline. I liked them both except you need to be much more careful with knots and but to tippet connections. I used twenty pound test with each. It has about the same diameter as eight pound mono.
Larry
Old 02-19-2010, 10:08 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I now use the bowline loop on Rio wire which is a nice green and stripers don't seem to care when they're mixed in with the blues.

The key is *action* even with wire.

Here is a pic of the double I use with flouro on the flats (tie a single bowline w/ wire).

and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 02-19-2010, 10:54 AM

Have you thought of tying tube flies . It works. FishHawk
Old 02-19-2010, 04:29 PM
6th Year Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishHawk
Have you thought of tying tube flies . It works. FishHawk
I was going to say the same thing - plastic tube covered by the deceiver pattern with an extra stinger hook on braid .

Google some steelhead tube patterns rupe.

Or you could tye one fly and hitch a second fly to the bend with braid or wire ? The blue takes the back fish first, the striper the opposite.

For braid, try fireline chrystal - I use it for night fishing
Old 02-22-2010, 04:19 AM
mike oliver

Rupe,

I don't quite get this. You may not get bitten off by tying on long shank hooks but by tying near the bend just means your fly will get cropped by the Blues. One fish maybe two and that dressing is going to be well barbered. You will be moving the hook point even further away than in a conventionally dressed fly so you will get tail snapping trimming your dressing well before that toothy mouth envelopes your fly.

It is not always the fish with the fly in it's mouth that bites you off. Often it is one of his mates who wants to mug him for your fly and cuts through the leader. No long shank hook will guard against that. Thats the advantage of wire in that situation. You can buy this knottable wire now which is okish and as others have said Stripers will still strike your flies.

I tried 60 lb mono tippets waste of time they bite through them to. If I can then so can a Blue. LOL.

Hope to see you in the Cape this year.

Mike
Old 02-23-2010, 08:56 AM

With the keys-style ties I think you will miss a lot of bluefish and be going through a lot of flies anyhow (as mentioned above).

If the bass are going to be fussy about a few inches of wire, they will probably not like the exposed hook shank either.

The coated wire is fast and easy to use. The best I have found is Surflon Micro Ultra 26#. Quick surgons knot to the 30# leader + figure-8 knot to the fly and you are in business. If you are going to seriously target Mr. Saltatrix (as I do) a pair of super-sharp pliers is indespensable.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:44 AM

Bowline

Juro.

Do you have a link to instructions on tying the bowline/double bowline please?

Michael.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:13 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Here is the link where I found the knot...

http://www.layhands.com/Knots/Knots_TripleLoops.htm

(non-commercial informational link)

The knot is actually called the "Birmingham Bowline". half hitch forward, then the rabbit comes up the hole and around the tree and back down the hole (twice).

The advantage is it's easy to tie even loops, and you can use multi-loops albeit two is more than enough. I had FANTASTIC results after a full season of testing last year. I sought this out because of several very memorable failures of the single loop knot that everyone uses... on whiplash takes from big fish.

My discovery of it's use as a looped wire knot was a pleasant side benefit.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.