Winston rod repair cost! - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-14-2010, 06:50 PM

Winston rod repair cost!

Sent one of my Winston rods in for repair one of the ceramic shooting guides fell out. It was covered under warranty and I got a bill for 0 dollars but they charged me 50 dollars for shipping. When I shipped it to them via UPS with a 600 dollar value for insurance it cost me only 19 dollars. What is the deal here are they using unusually high shipping charge to pay for some of the warranty work? I would not have minded paying some of the cost for repair even with the warranty but I'm wondering if they are playing sleaze ball and not being honest about the warranty coverage. Do other rod companies do this also? Winston used to be such a wonderful company before they were bought out years ago but now I don't think so. Should I call them and find out the deal with the shipping cost?
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2010, 09:29 PM

hi oc,

i've had similar costs from sage and loomis. while i can't imagine that it cost $50 to ship there are a few points to consider. first, most of the warranties do not necessarily actually cover everything, but the practice in the industry has been to do just that. fact is, the so called ''unconditional" warranty is killing these high quality rod companies to the point that their survival is in jeopardy. knowing that, i guess i don't mind so much.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:41 PM

Sounds like forget the warrenty and just DIY.

-- Eric
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2010, 05:05 AM
In moderation

Most rod manufacturers have a charge for rod repairs.
it is usually about $30.
This can be called transport or handling or whatever.
I do not think this is excessive.

Pete
Old 02-15-2010, 10:13 AM

Thanks guys for the info, I'll except the expensive delivery cost as is. I wish though they would be honest and just charge me the 30 extra dollars for whatever reason. The repair in labor and parts must cost far more than 30 bucks.
Time to go fishing
Old 02-15-2010, 10:28 AM

Re: Orvis

Orvis charges $25. I've sent three rods back for repairs over the past 4 years. Two for broken tip tops and one broke at the butt and the rest of the rod was lost in fast moving water. They replaced the last one with a new Helios. Twice they replaced the grips and always include new ferrule wax kit. Orvis rocks and I've sent a letter thanking them for outstanding service.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:36 AM

The only rod company I know of that does not charge for repair is Scott and that is as of last year. I have no doubt that part of the charges are to cover underfunded warranty accruals.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:45 PM
resigned

I think it's time the high end rod companies let us insure our fly rods in the form of an extended warranty for breakage and charge a more reasonable figure off the shelf. Stay in business and let another business take care of the warranties. I'm not sure if this makes any sense but it sure seems like a smart alternative. Someone with insurance actuarial knowledge can figure out the cost much the way they do for cars,boats, homes and people.

Sage Xi3..........$300.00

Warranty for breakage from an outside insurance firm............$150.00 one shot to cover X amount of years.

Rod manufacturer covers rod only for defects.

Phil
Old 02-17-2010, 12:38 PM

I have sent a couple of Winston rods back for repair under warranty and not been charged anything. Both times Mike in the repair dept asked me to pick out some merchandise hat, shirt etc, and sent me them no charge to cover my initial shipping costs. Now both of these rods were relatively new but I wonder why they would charge you and not me. Who knows!
Tim
Old 02-17-2010, 01:23 PM

Phil,

You may be on to something. The bottom line is no one is going to pay $600-700 a rod for an item that is so fragile and used so rigorously unless repairs are covered. We all know that it's not if you break your rod it's when.

I sent two rods to Sage this summer and they charged $20. They did not double the shipping charge for the two rods.... so in their case it seems like the money is allocated to shipping.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:49 PM

Maybe I'm old fashion and if I break something I'd rather pay for repair than have the quality of the product go down. I think the rod companies got themselves into this mess by giving the warranties. Does anyone know which rod company started it? I don't believe my Burkheimers have a warranty I never asked just payed big money for a product that goes beyond my newer Winstons and T&T's and don't mind saving for one a little longer. I wish there were more companies like Burkheimer around the country so fly fishers love great gear could fish a truely wonderful rod and see the difference. This means far more to me to have a fly rod of pure beauty and as close to perfection as I can get than having a warranty. This is not an ad for that company but their concept of staying really small seems to work very well.
Fly fishing is far more than hooking fish at my age it's about the whole deal.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:44 AM

Orvis was first, though theirs was just a 25 year warranty. In effect, it was lifetime. Sage and others followed suit the following year. Interesting to note the comments about people not being willing to buy such a fragile instrument without this coverage. Well, the top line fly rods were nearly as expensive in REAL dollars twenty years ago and there was no such warranty. Rods like those from Kerry Burkheimer are even more expensive and carry no such "unlimited warranty." Cane rods have always been quite expensive, at least the top line ones, and they've never had such warranties. The industry trade magazines are full of articles and opinions that acknowledge that the warranties are killing these businesses. Supposedly, St. Croix was going to be the first to drop them some three or four years ago. I think by announcing it well ahead of the intended implementation they were hoping that other companies would jump on board and that would solve the problem. When no one else (that I know of) decided to join them I'm sure that literally forced St. Croix to re-think it. It's a shame, as getting rid of them would be a big boost to this industry. There would be an initial period of time where things would slow down, but it wouldn't last long. Problem is, right now many of them are so close to being finished that even that short downturn could be enough to do them in. It really needed to happen a couple of years ago when almost all of these companies were a lot healthier.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:31 PM

Just got my Winston back in only two weeks time. They did a very nice job in repairing the rod and all is well.

This thread and the thread on warranty in World Wide have been very informative. It's amazing what a delicate flower the big end of the fly fishing industry has become.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:12 AM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyG
Orvis charges $25. I've sent three rods back for repairs over the past 4 years. Two for broken tip tops and one broke at the butt and the rest of the rod was lost in fast moving water. They replaced the last one with a new Helios. Twice they replaced the grips and always include new ferrule wax kit. Orvis rocks and I've sent a letter thanking them for outstanding service.
I agree 100%, but I've never paid for a repair! I've gotten two brand new Superfine rods in the last few years to replace broken ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gseries69
The only rod company I know of that does not charge for repair is Scott and that is as of last year. I have no doubt that part of the charges are to cover underfunded warranty accruals.
See above, Orvis doesn't charge me a dime. Maybe it's because I own so many of their rods......
Old 03-25-2010, 01:31 PM

Actually no charge for repair from Orvis

The $25 charge was for shipping which I'm nore than happy to pay. I know the shipping costs are much lower than $25 but who cares.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.