Maine folks looking for support - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2010, 02:38 PM

Maine folks looking for support

There's a group of concerned anglers in Maine who would like to change their current regulations back to 1 fish @ 36" and theybelieve they have a chance to do it with some support. The action is directed at restoring the Kennebec River striped bass population which Main DFW has been studying for the past few years. The Kennebec has been showing a growing number of YOY resident stripers and with access to new spawning grounds anglers and DWF believe they could improve the local fishery. As many of you know, Maine anlgers have seen a dramatic drop in catch rates over the past 3-4 years. As a traveling angler I support this measure and the efforts of those who would like to improve thier local fishery. Please take a look and sign the petition if you feel the same.

It would be nice to go back to Maine to chase stripers!

http://www.petitiononline.com/cdrj/petition.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2010, 03:03 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I signed it but would suggest that there be more information put on the site to explain the benefits and impacts of such a decision. For me, it's a no-brainer to let fish grow larger, breed more etc - and I would like to see a interstate regulation put into place because nature does not have any false borders nor should we when we manage resources.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 02-10-2010, 04:02 PM
resigned

My feeling all along has been to allow one striper but the size is in question. How many short fish are caught and released foul hooked to die before that one fish is kept? As crazy as this sounds to many, what would happen if that one fish kept was 25 inches and once it's taken, that person will have to stop fishing. Overall affect? Less fish hooked and released.........less fish dead. I would give up striper fishing for one year if research proves it helpful over the long haul. I think we have a much larger issue with the food chain. Where are the bunker and other food sources for striped bass? What is the primary food source in Maine. I'll bet the lobster will fair well with less bass around. Stripers love lobster when other food sources are less prevalent. What is Brad Burn's assessment? The polls say things have slowed every where.

Phil
Old 02-10-2010, 06:50 PM
Fly chucker

I also signed the petition, but like Juro believe that providing more info would be helpful. I am quite aware of the downward spiral in Maine's striper fishing....my dad complains on a weekly basis during the season, and he is not a casual angler. I have had meager results at best during my visits over the past few years.

I hope that this initiative leads somewhere productive.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:28 AM

Signed. Hope it achieves; Maine's rivers have always had to fight for their lives.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:52 AM

I sent an email to Capt Doug Jowett, the sponsor of the petition, asking him to provide more information.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gseries69
There's a group of concerned anglers in Maine who would like to change their current regulations back to 1 fish @ 36" and theybelieve they have a chance to do it with some support. The action is directed at restoring the Kennebec River striped bass population which Main DFW has been studying for the past few years. The Kennebec has been showing a growing number of YOY resident stripers and with access to new spawning grounds anglers and DWF believe they could improve the local fishery. As many of you know, Maine anlgers have seen a dramatic drop in catch rates over the past 3-4 years. As a traveling angler I support this measure and the efforts of those who would like to improve thier local fishery. Please take a look and sign the petition if you feel the same.

It would be nice to go back to Maine to chase stripers!

http://www.petitiononline.com/cdrj/petition.html
Thanks for putting the petition on your site. Here's more info.

I see the effort for regulation change as a measure to improve the Kennebec River stock and therein lies the problem, there is no meaningful data available on Kennebec River Striped bass populations. Sometimes you just have to use common sense. Science will come someday, but not soon. We can’t be wasting seasons waiting for long over due science. We do need to do something to help. It doesn’t cost DMR anything to impose new regulations. If the Cheesy stock continues to be problematic and the Kennebec stock isn’t improved soon, we won’t have a striped bass fishery left. We need to protect the younger fish that exist in the Kennebec so they can become spawners.It takes years to accomplish these goals and we need to get started. Either 1@36” or simply close down consumptive fishing for striped bass fishing in Maine. Pay now or pay later. That’s where I’m coming from. For those who fished 15 and 20 years ago, you can remember the great May, striped bass fishing we had, not just in the Kennebec, but up and down the Maine coast. Those fish weren’t Chessy and Hudson fish, they were still up their own natal river or just beginning migrations during early, mid and late May.Those fish we used to get in May had to be Kennebec River fish returning to enter the river, move up the river and spawn. After that, in June, the migratory fish from the Chessy and Hundson would begin to enter our fishery, It was wonderful. We don’t even know what the potential of the Kennebec River is since the Augusta dam was taken out, never mind the other open waters above Augusta. We have a special opportunity with the Kennebec River – it may be our salvation. Just look at the most recent young of the year index charts from the Chessy. The large 1993, 1996, 2001 and 2003 classes (see chart below) are getting old and will not be our breeders to the future. Since 2003 there hasn’t been a strong year class. We need to protect the smaller fish so they will be our breeders in a few years – there aren’t many of them. Commercial types can count, they know after these four year classes are gone, it’s going to be slim pickings for them. That’s why they want increased quota now before regulations won’t let them rape those year classes of fish. I fully understand all the arguments about “what Maine does is meaningless”. I really don’t like that attitude – that’s simply saying I quit. Some thought that the commercial Rollover couldn’t be defeated, but it was. Terry Stockwell from Maine’s DMR did yeoman’s work getting that accomplished. Hard work can pay big dividends.

Chart won't transfer to this format - It's on ASMFC web site.

Most recent, strong Striped Bass Year Classes sustaining the population are noted below. These strong year classes are all getting old and there aren’t any strong year classes behind them. So, Where Are The of SPAWNERS coming from? Answer – slot size fish that we have been killing for to many years.

By studying the below numbers, you can see where all those monster fish caught in 2008 and 2007 came from.

ASMFC’s Maximum Sustainable Yield system will allow cleaning these large classes out in a short, few years.

The warning signals are in the numbers and the anecdotal reports from the entire Atlantic Coast noting a sharp decline in the fishery for the past 5 years.

Yes, there are fish to be caught, but our current regulations have been in place for too many years. We are killing our future spawners and stock
by using the out of date slot system.

Below chart is out of sorts - hope you can figure it out. I can't seem to format it correctly for this site. Basically it shows the 4 best spawn years going back to 1993 which are the classes everyone is counting on. They are all getting old and there aren't any big year classes coming up.

YOY Index Mix size spawn year # Years Spawned

(potential)

Year Class 1993 24” to 25” 1997 1

Now 17 yrs old 26” to 28” 1988 2

29” to 30” 1999 3

31” to 32” 2000 4

32” to 34” 2001 5

35” to 36” 2002 6

1996 24” to 25” 2001 1

Now 14 yrs old 26” to 28” 2002 2

29” to 30” 2003 3

31” to 32” 2004 4

32” to 34” 2005 5

35” to 36” 2006 6

2001 24” to 25” 2006 1

Now 9 yrs old 26” to 28” 2007 2

29” to 30” 2008 3

31” to 32” 2009 4

32” to 34” 2010 5

35” to 36” 2011 6

2003 24” to 25” 2008 1

Now 7 yrs old 26” to 28” 2009 2

29” to 30” 2010 3

31” to 32” 2011 4

32” to 34” 2012 5

35” to 36” 2013 6
Old 02-11-2010, 09:43 AM
6th Year Apprentice

I signed too - but why wait until 2013 to introduce the new measure ?

You may also want to put the petition on the SOL Maine forum
Old 02-11-2010, 11:05 AM
resigned

Thanks for the details Doug. Signed.

Phil
Old 02-11-2010, 12:09 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
If Maine passes this resolution, it could well set an example for the rest of the states under the umbrella of ASMFC. Thank you Doug for taking the initiative. I think most striper fishermen on this board are concerned about the future of our fishery.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:29 PM
President of CAC

Signed also
Old 02-11-2010, 08:49 PM

Signed!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.