How about least expensive? - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-24-2010, 05:15 PM

How about least expensive?

How about telling us of the places that don't put a huge dent in the pocket book? In particular with guided flats fishing. In the Carribean I have seen guide rates from $800 per day in the Turks&Caicos to $250 in Mexico to $175 in Belize.

Now $250 to $175 is more in my range. Anyone else out there know of any reasonably priced guiding?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2010, 03:58 PM

Most of the guides around Deadman's Caye in long island were reasonable...something around $200 per day.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:05 AM

I was thinking of starting a similar thread. Useful information.

The last place I stayed at came in at about $370/day all inclusive (lodging, food, guides). I thought the fishing mediocre, but we were on the cusp of a hurricane and the tides were wrong. Nevertheless, it was certainly worth what I paid, and I can afford only one exotic trip per year (and, in this economic climate, I count myself fortunate to do even that).

The most cost effective fishing is DIY with someone who has years of experience in the area and for the species you want to fish for.

No brainer, huh?

Cheers,

Eric
Old 01-26-2010, 09:14 AM
In moderation

The cheapest is when you stay at a friends house who is a guide.
You catch your dinner every night and your host has a great wine cellar.

Maybe even a nice daughter.

Dream on.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:17 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

And Cuban cigars. I would imagine you'd want a good smoke after all that dining, drink and debauchery
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 02-02-2010, 01:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to teflon_jones Send a message via Yahoo to teflon_jones
The cheapest guide you can hire is yourself. Read up on where you're going and how to catch the species you're after. Watch TV shows on the subject. If you've got a DVR, set it up to automatically record anything with the name of the species like "bonefish" in it. Search the internet. There's lots of information available on just about anywhere and any species in the world.

There's no substitute for experience, and when you don't have a guide to rely on, you'll learn much faster. It's also more rewarding to catch the fish by yourself with no help. Ask around on sites like this for locations to go and keep them to yourself if somebody is willing to share.

For reference, my trip to Acklins in a couple of weeks is running me $1500 for 7 days including lodging, 3 meals a day, use of kayaks and bikes, and a ride to and from the airport. I'm not getting a guide because the only thing that would get me over my own knowledge is a boat to see a little better from. But boats will spook fish sooner than careful wading, so you can get closer and catch more fish wading anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevicar
The cheapest is when you stay at a friends house who is a guide.
You catch your dinner every night and your host has a great wine cellar.

Maybe even a nice daughter.

Dream on.
I'm dreaming.....
Old 02-03-2010, 02:13 PM

The fishing I do on Acklins works out to about $400 per day including guide, meals, etc. If I go DIY the price is right there at 1,500 as well. The two benefits to a guide that I see are their eyes and access to areas you can't reach without a boat. Having said that, by far the most rewarding fish I've ever caught were on my own.

I did a few days on Exuma years ago and I see the daily guide rate is up to $380 and that doesn't include any meals, lodging, etc.

Eleuthera as a DIY spot was basically $80 a day for a car and everything after that depended on how nice and how fancy you wanted to make the trip. You have a lot of flexibility to make that as expensive or inexpensive as you like. It's an excellent option if you're combining family and fishing. Vince has got something going on Eleuthera as well-that would be a good resource.

Last edited by LeeG; 02-09-2010 at 12:02 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.