My Grand Bahama Trip - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-22-2010, 11:05 AM

My Grand Bahama Trip

I posted up my trip report on another message board and did blog posts each day, but for those of you not on either of those, I wanted to share my GBI experience.

Personal records/firsts:
First bone on a fly I tied (pink winged, pearl bodies gotcha, #4).
Most bones caught in a day (this was a low hurdle).
Biggest school I've ever cast to (about 150 bones).
First cuda of any size.
First trip with Captain Perry out of McLeans Town.

I figure I had 50-60 legit shots at bones on my own. I converted very, very few, however. I was moving in the right direction... lengthening the leader, leading further, changing flies, staking out cruising routes and escape routes, but the end of the trip caught up with me before I got my A game going (I probably finished on my C game, which makes me academically eligible, but no where near the Honor Roll).

I got blown off the flats one day with a wind 20-25 and waves on the South facing flats.

It was a good trip, my one guided day saved the fishing, I learned a lot, had fun, got frustrated, didn't openly cry, had some firsts.

I didn't explore as much as I would have liked or probably should have, but I found flats, found fish and have more mental ammunition for my next trip, whenever/wherever that ends up being.

Thanks to all the people that gave me advice and suggestions in the run-up to this trip. Very much appreciate it.

Bjorn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2010, 03:27 PM

Great report Bjorn!!
I am taking 3 trips to the Bahamas this year, a Bahamas cruise (3 days) in Feb., Andros in April and Grand Bahama for Christmas. We are renting a house on the beach near Freetown. I was not going to get a guide but it sounds like Captain Perry did a pretty good job. Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated.

Dan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2010, 05:06 PM

I would totally go out with Captain Perry again. The best fishing in GBI happens in the places you can't drive to... I think that's fair to say. The flats I found that I could access were places with very wise fish, PhD (or at least some course work beyond their BA) fish.

Captain Perry was very good. He knew where the fish were, even on a tough day with lots of clouds and wind. Other boats were running around trying to find sun and fish... Perry knew where to go in those conditions... we didn't run, we fished.

B-
Old 01-24-2010, 06:50 PM

I will definately book him for a day or two. Thanks again.

Another question for anyone. I am new to this forum and was wondering how one posts a picture. I caught a tarpon 2 weeks ago in the Keys and my girlfriend took a great picture of it airborn. I tried attaching it and it would not accept it no matter how much I compressed it.

Dan
Old 01-25-2010, 12:03 PM

I think I had used the url option for posting a picture on here... less control over the size of the pic, but I got it to work, as I recall.

B-
Old 01-25-2010, 12:23 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

There is a byte size limit and a pixel size limit, but if it's not too huge sent it by email to:

flyfishingforum.webmaster@gmail.com

and I will process it for you.

Also at the top of the page there is a link to a free image resizer from Microsoft for XP users if that works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingtide
I will definately book him for a day or two. Thanks again.

Another question for anyone. I am new to this forum and was wondering how one posts a picture. I caught a tarpon 2 weeks ago in the Keys and my girlfriend took a great picture of it airborn. I tried attaching it and it would not accept it no matter how much I compressed it.

Dan
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 01-26-2010, 10:16 AM
In moderation

There are a number of threads around for posting photos. Do a search.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.