HAITI- - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-19-2010, 04:51 PM
*** FORUM SPONSOR ***

HAITI-

A week ago we were sadden to learn of the earthquake in sister country; Haiti. Truly, it is worse than first thought. We thank God for the help of the world, especially the USA and its armed forces. If I'm ever in trouble, the sight of the red, white and blue will be most reasurring!!

Going forward we trust all will pray and give to the relief efforts via our favorite charity.
www.vrbo.com/261406
Forum Sponsor
Acklins! Only Heaven is better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2010, 10:10 AM

My first thought when I heard of the Haiti quake, before getting any details, was the possibility of a tsunami heading for the Bahamas. I have fished Acklins, Crooked and Inagua which is only about 60 miles from Haiti. The thought of a tsunami heading for those low lying islands is frightening. Glad that was not the case. Haiti is really sad.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:18 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

It's great to see the amount of help the world has offered to Haiti in the wake of this horrible disaster and the response of the people. Last night they aired footage of the 'hope' marches Haitians have been doing each night. Very inspiring to see that strength of human character amidst the ruins.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 01-30-2010, 01:44 PM
resigned

The real stories, those not allowed to air on national news, are being told by countless doctors, nurses and the volunteers. I have a friend their that is an orthopedic surgeon.
I received an email with his description of the situation. It was frightening. May God bless all those that are giving their precious time away from family to help these people!

Phil
Old 01-30-2010, 07:10 PM

Yeah. A plug for Doctors Without Borders. Nearly early cent goes toward on-the-ground help.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:27 AM

Totally agree with all that is said above....heroic victims and rescuers!!!

In watching this tragedy unfold from the safety of my living room, my feeling (and I hope I am wrong) is that we haven't seen the worst of it yet. Valiant as it is.... I just don't think that the situation is fixable in the manner multiple countries are doing it now.

With all the $ in the world, it will take at least 10 to 15 yrs to re-build the infrastructure, housing etc..........rainy season is coming, injured people need long term care, desease will most likely become a factor, orphans abound......how will all these people be able to live in tents for even 2 years???? Will doctors be able to stay even that long and even if they do, will it be enough to address the peoples' needs? It would not surprise me that given current conditions, that more will die from the above than from the eartquake.

My sense is that the only logical solution is for 20 to 30 countries to give temp/long term immigration rights/care to the Hatians until their country is rebuilt and liveable. I don't see how what is needed can be created in Haiti short term without further jeopradizing the safety of it's citizens.

Either way...the response will be expensive to participating countries...but if it is costly....at least do it in a way that saves more lifes.

Ron

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.