I am off again. - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-13-2010, 10:51 AM
In moderation

I am off again.

The weather over here is really depressive.
We have had snow since just before Christmas. It melted on Christmas eve so no white Christmas and came back again on Boxing day. Since then it has not gone and we are experiencing blow 0 Celsius temperatures constantly.
I decided I could not take it any more so I have booked a trip to Los Roques, leaving Saturday Jan 16, yes in 3 days time.
The temperatures are supposedly 30C+. I have been troubled by bad weather on most of my trips for the past few years. I hope it stays clear this time.
I have a guide booked for the week so if anyone fancies some fishing I'll see you there.

Pete
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2010, 11:14 AM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Pete, wish I knew that you were going to Los Roques. I was just down the road this week, Aruba. While it doesn't have the quantity of Los Roques, the bones are huge, averaging a good 8 pounds. Also, permit, and baby tarpon. Downside, not nearly as picturesque, and the northeast tradewinds are honking this time of year.

Look forward to your trip report. Incidentally, if anyone is interested in flyfishing Aruba, pm me for info.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:57 PM
Surfingfireman

ahh one day, I will get to Los Roques...
Old 01-15-2010, 02:59 PM

Send a message via MSN to arubaman
Pete: bon voyage! I think I just started to envy you , you lucky man!

Jim: any pics and a report would definitely make me forget the snow and cold for a week. Would appreciate that.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:48 PM
*** FORUM SPONSOR ***

Location: Western New York Steelhead, Bahamas Bonefish, Wild Western Trout
Good luck Pete!
rip some lips!
God does not deduct from man's alloted time the hours spent fishing.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:23 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Arubaman, fished with your buddy, Laurenz, at his UDLs one day. Had a couple of large bonefish follows, but no hookup. Permit were on one flat earlier in the week, but not there on the incoming tide, when we were there. Tarpon in the lagoon were pretty consistent until I arrived, and then one rolled, but no hookups. Learned a lot about other locales on Aruba, besides Malmok. Incidentally, that area, had a lot of rolling breakers for several days. Very unusual.

My wife loves it there, so it looks like I'll be there on an annual basis. I'm considered obsessive/compulsive about fishing, but I think Laurenz is a tick above me.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:47 AM

Laurenz is truly passionate about the fishing. I don't have many references, neither does Aruba have much guides. But fishing with him is something I can recommend everybody. He's patient, will work on your casting if your not up to it yet. He knows his places and can teach you a lot about the spotting.

He is honest about the fishing and doesn't mind telling you where to go for DIY, instead of keeping the spots away from you to get you on his trip once more. Permits.... still want to get one from of that reef, I saw one... just like the bones, they are probably a bit more then average. I think the average bone will be about 20-24inch, but the 8 pounds your talking about is a bit exaggerated for average.

10 pounds is realistic though, but it won't be easy. in all those times my personal stands up to 28 inch fork-nose, guess that will be in the 10 pounds range. And this year I had a beauty of 26 inch, took quite some line and I had a blast running deeper and deeper because I feared it would break of on the corals. And yup, that was right in the middle of the rolling breakers. Surf rules, it mirrors the bottom very nice when they come in and looks like the fish are just a bit less spooky those days.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:45 AM

aruba bones

One of my employees is going to Aruba for her honeymoon. Her fiance loves to fish, but he's not a flyfisherman yet. He's never gone for bones either. I told him he should at least go with spinning gear. Who should he contact for a day trip? They are probably going in sept/oct. Anyone with info can PM me if you can't post a specific guide or outfit.
Thanks
Old 01-21-2010, 03:17 PM

My buddy laurenz lives there and just made the move from passionate angler to passionate guide. If you google on an island's name and fly fishing I bet you will get the info you need, that works for most islands.
(hopefully this is not to much commercial)
Old 01-26-2010, 09:20 AM
In moderation

I'm back

I am now back from the best bonefishing destination that I know.

I'll write a report soon.

Pete
Old 03-04-2010, 06:35 AM

Aruba mornings

Going to Aruba on March 6 for just a week. Will be fishing with Laurenz for the 4th time in 5 years. I met him just as he was getting started. He certainly knows his stuff. Arubaman, your info on the internet has been a great help to me over the years. I've never seen a permit in Aruba & would love to tangle with one. My 'best' fish there has been a 19" pound Snook 2 years ago. That was on a 7wt travel rod with a spinning reel taped on down in Savenesta. I had the place to myself. I have to admit I saw a large shadow for a while and was wondered if it was a shark. It never came very close and that was fine with me!

Tight lines
Old 06-03-2010, 10:52 AM
Fly chucker

As luck would have it, my wife and I will be on Aruba the week of June 12-19. I have already set up a wade trip with Laurenz, and he has already shared some DIY spots before we even meet up.

I realize that Aruba is not a flyfishing destination per se, but getting up early each morning and walking the beaches and flats before Anne wakes up will be a nice diversion. I have researched the archives here on the forum, especially info from arubaman, and it is very good.

I will let you know how I did upon my return.

Jim, I'll take you up on your offer for a PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:22 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Cool - my experience is that Aruba fish roam around a lot and if you are where they are buzzing at any given time you're going to hook up - otherwise keep looking. If you're near coral, good luck landing them without a cut-off. There are tarpon in the lagoon near the bridge, I'd go at dawn.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.