Most expensive trip? - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2010, 04:28 PM

Most expensive trip?

What is the most expensive fly fishing trip anyone has ever heard about? Let us say a one week to ten day trip that anyone with the money can sign up for, (not me). What was included for the price and what was not. I'm clueless on the subject but there has to be some trips out there for that worldwide top half a percent wage earners and the really old money crew. Any links to the trip please post.
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2010, 11:34 AM
In moderation

Hi OC

There are a number of different factors that can make up the cost of a fishing trip.

1. Cost of getting there.

2. Cost of accomodation and food.

3. Cost of fishing. (2 &3 are often included in a package.)

4. Cost of gear purchased for the trip.

5. Cost of gear lost or stolen during the trip.

Where do you want to start?

Pete
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2010, 02:34 PM

Hi Pete, I'm just curious what a really expensive trip for one goes for. I'm sure it is very exotic, maybe some flats on the Indian Ocean, Salmon in Scotland, S. America. Lets say with out air fare but with lodging,guide and transportation once there. I could not afford it for sure but someday I was thinking of salmon in Scotland if they would except me to fish a famous river for a week. I know that would be expensive but I bet there are some even more real outrages trips out there. Not asking anyone what they have paid just what they maybe have found on the web or have heard about.
Thanks
OC
Old 01-13-2010, 03:15 PM

Check out Fly Water Travel's Nomads of the Sea live aboard Chilean adventure. $26,507

Last edited by FLGator; 01-27-2010 at 10:40 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:57 PM
Middle Aged Member

Someone's getting restless...

Seems like chasing those toothy critters with stripes in Africa might be an exotic trip that'll run you up a tab, or chewed on by a croc, or swallowed whole by a hippo.

Pete Vicar and Bill Kestler (wrke) get around, they must have ideas.

Or you could just go nuts, spend several 100K buying and prepping a boat and go island hoping for a year or...

Last edited by FredA; 01-15-2010 at 11:39 AM.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:57 PM

Try booking an Icelandic salmon fishing trip for a week.

-- Eric
Old 01-14-2010, 12:11 PM
In moderation

I have not booked a week in Iceland but I go there every year now for a few days. The fishing is expensive and has become even more expensive since they changed from US$ prices to Euro prices. 6 days fishing on the top rivers at prime time cost approx $9,000.

Prices for salmon fishing in Russia get up to $12-15,000 for a week.

Strangely enough the really expensive fishing in Scotland is very difficult to come by. It is like joining a very exclusive club and the only way in is with dead man's shoes.

The exotic locations like the Seychelles cost up to $7,00 for a week.

Cuba is now becoming ridiculously expensive some weeks going for over $6,000 that's 3 times what I paid the first time I went there.

There are a couple of exclusive places in the Bahamas that cost upwards of $1,500 per day.

If you look at some of the outfitters web sites you can get a better idea.
The one that shows most prices is the Frontiers site.

I have not been to all these places as I think that they can be a total rip off.

I don't mind paying for good fishing and good accommodation but some of these operators are taking the piss.

Pete
Old 01-14-2010, 03:27 PM
resigned

Limited Time Offer!

Save up to $11,500 per person! Patagonia Cruise.

<link>

Phil

edit by juro
Old 01-15-2010, 11:16 AM

Location: Many. From NE salt, Russia, Canadian A Salmon, NW Steelhead, Bahamas, Keys. Live in Upstate NY
Well, because of the economy, the price for one week prime time on the Kharlovka and East Litza (on the Atlantic Salmon Reserve . . . Kola peninsula) actually went DOWN $1M for 2010. $21,900 (not including the private charter from Stockholm to Murmansk (another $1400 for the flight and hotel in Stockholm). You're responsible, of course, to get yourself to Stockholm. Fee was $22,900 in 2009. All told, a week prime time (counting tips, Visa, etc from the US is probably somewhere north of $26M.

These rivers (Kharlovka, East Litza [my favorite], Rynda and Zolotaya all from "source to the sea") are part of 2 million acres managed by Peter Power as part of his Atlantic Salmon Reserve.

First time I went (2002), I was part of a team ostensibly "exploring" above first waterfall on the Kharlovka (the camp had primarily fished just up to first waterfall . . . 8km above the Barents Sea). We fished the K all the way above third waterfall (40km?). Not only do fish go over all those falls, the BIG fish go over those falls. We also fished the Rynda, Zolotaya and my favorite the East Litza. I didn't catch any of the really big fish (my largest was, I think, 27 lbs) but the largest caught by one in our group was a 44 lb fish on a size 10 tube waked in the surface.

I think my flights to Murmansk from NY was somewhere in the neighborhood of $1500. We spent the night in Helsinki on the way. My fee for the week was $2,500! Somewhere around 30 helicopter flights in that one week. My week was not prime time (week 33).

I went back the following year, cost was $6,500 for the week.

I'd LOVE to be able to afford to go back . . . these are certainly rivers I still dream of. If I only had one salmon river in the world to fish, it would probably be the Litza. It's likely I'll never be able to afford to fish these rivers again.

Of course, all costs have gone up considerably and in response the ASR has offered limited less expensive trips where there's much less use of copters. Most of the time anglers hike to their spots and they stay in tent camps, rather than the regular lodges. These trips are only on a few of the weeks later in the season. So who know, perhaps I'll get back at some time.

Bill
Old 01-15-2010, 11:39 AM
In moderation

Hey Bill
IT's good to hear from you.
How are things?

Pete
Old 01-15-2010, 01:49 PM

Location: Many. From NE salt, Russia, Canadian A Salmon, NW Steelhead, Bahamas, Keys. Live in Upstate NY
Hi Pete,

Things are good . . . overall. But have just had a whole series of house expenses (furnace, water tank, new whole house generator, electric service) some unexpected, so some of my springtime travel might be affected. Was hoping to add salmon fishing in Scotland this spring to coincide with nephew's wedding in London, but that trip might be off. We'll see.

Envious that you're heading to Los Roches, but my trip to the Abacos is still on for April. Warm, sunny flats sure sounds good.

If I don't make the Scotland trip, that would free me up for the spring clave . . . if so, would love to fish with you again. And I'll bring a good bottle of wine.

Then off to the Gaspé in June.

Life is good.

Bill
Old 01-15-2010, 03:04 PM

Bill and Pete, you get a lot of great fishing in around the world and your love for travel, adventure and fly fishing are amazing. Do you still fish your home waters and is it still a good thing for you? Both off you should get to the Tuamotu Island some day if you have the chance. So many flats knee deep with pink sand, fish and diving.

Wow, 15 grand for a fishing trip to Russia, 6300 euro for the Indian Ocean flats and Iceland. As the old saying goes,"wonder if they land your fish for ya too". I think I will fly fish for brown trout in Scotland first before seeing if I could get on a beat salmon fishing.

Thanks to all,Interesting info helps beat a long rainy cold winter. Yes Fred, we want our Mason 44 back we just don't tell anyone.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:34 PM

Salmon fishing has got to be one of the most expensive trips out there. My dream trips of fishing Alaska, New Zealand and Patagonia all seem to pale in comparison. Unfortunately the wife only looks at what it costs bot what it could have cost!

Oh well...some day.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:46 PM

OC, check the figures again . . . over $26,000/week in Russia. Sure, I still fish my home waters, but not as much. I have a pretty good brown trout stream 30-45 min from home, main stem of the Delaware less than 2 hrs away.

Lee, I still fish some affordable Atlantic salmon every fall in Canada, so it's not all expensive. It's possible.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:52 PM

26 k yiks! I wonder how much of that stays with the Russian support people. I bet a lot goes out of country, payoffs to local, regional pols and a few other un named hoods.

Lee, NZ is really cheap right now, I think Air NZ round trip tickets are about $1200. You can camp out everywhere, cheep cabins, rent a little cabin, with public showers and public cooking area for about 10 to 15 US a night. Meet lots of people. Buy a car for 1200 NZ from dealer and he will buy it back for for a few hundred less. Spending a summer month costs less than fishing for a month in Alaska or Montana. Just stay away from the private fishing areas as they can be expensive. Tons of 5 to 8 pound trout in most rivers. Ocean fishing with fly on North Island is wonderful.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.