Forum a CLOSED SOCIETY? - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-22-2009, 11:57 AM
President of CAC

Forum a CLOSED SOCIETY?

This is a fact finding post...Will those who beleive we are a "closed Society" please post why they believe this. If possible, please provide "facts" not "feelings". If Feeling are supposrted by facts then it would be helpful. Please be conscious of what is generally accepted as definitions of "closed Society" or Clubs...also take into considerations how friendships are made...... I will start it.. ...If anyone "feels" this is a closed society, tell us why with fact, if not........then...... Get a good Physciarist!!!!!!! (Facts will help.....otherwise if not, you can use this to cry and whine why no one makes you feel good...... we can WORK with facts...we will not be able to help you with your general feelings about life)....... also please feel free to post why you think it is NOT. Btw.....Our membership committee meets tonight and we are voting on several prospects. If voted upon they will naturally need to meet with the board of directiors,,,, I hope there are no dues increases this year and our by-laws will need amendments. We will need to be particularly selective this year as we are hoping that the new prospects only use Orvis equipment are are no taller than 6 feet 5 inches.

Last edited by striblue; 12-22-2009 at 12:21 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2009, 12:25 PM

re: Closed Society

I think I'm a fairly good indicator since I joined slightly less than a year ago. Why did I join? To learn about bonefishing.

Results: Each questions I have posted has been replied to by various members both publicly and through PMs.

That has encouraged me to post regarding the few places I've traveled to and fished in the Bahamas and southern Caribbean.

I also fish for stripers south of Boston. I lurk in those forums and pick up tips.

Forums are a place where to you get what you want if you are willing to participate. If you have a username and password how can it be "closed?"

Happy Holidays,

Marty
Old 12-22-2009, 05:12 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to polareyez
Striblue,

Is it true that the committee is also closing the Monomoy area to left-handed casters?

Merry Christmas

Successfully fighting genius
Recipient of the Silver Horseshoe Crab
Old 12-22-2009, 09:45 PM

I do not post a great deal here because I think that I have a whole lot more to learn about striper fishing and bonefishing before I feel qualified to offer much in the way of comments. Nevertheless, I check here often. In addition, I walked into two Forum gatherings last summer knowing virtually none of you, and felt totally welcomed and included. The Forum is only closed to those who chose to treat it that way. Thanks to Juro and all of you for being so generous with your time and patience with a relative rookie. Merry Christmas, too.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:16 AM

"The Forum is only closed to those who chose to treat it that way."

Couldn't say it better. If conversations occur that you're not part of, how is that any different than everyday life? If people disagree and sometimes get cross-wise, how is that different than everyday life?

From the forum I've learned a lot, made new friends that share the fly fishing bug (and fished with them), gotten help and advice, and never been treated badly.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:27 AM

Smile Closed Society?

This forum seems to be open to anyone with a computer and a connection to the Internet. We welcome lurkers. Once they realize the benefits gained thru the free flow of information and recognize that this resource can solve most problems and answer their questions without too much sarcasm most will sign up and participate.

HO,HO,HO and All http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flyta...cons/icon7.gif
Old 12-24-2009, 01:18 PM

OH BoY!!

I'm in trouble now, I have always referred Monomoy Newbies to this forum to read up and ask questions. I thought it was OK for me to do, since all those who were suggested, came back thanking me for introducing them to such an inviting group of fisherman. "Everyone on there is so helpful"

Sorry for any trouble I caused Mayor, hope you won't hold it against me

Capt Keith
Old 12-24-2009, 01:31 PM

I am guilty of being a part of a Flytalk closed society. Usually I only respond to the people I know personally or have known them here at Flytalk for many years. When new folks introduce themselves rarely do I post a welcome or help them out. There is no good reason for this and it is a terrible way to be seeing that I enjoy this site and have for many many years. Recently someone posted beautiful pictures of trout fishing in western Mass. and I felt really compelled to thank that person as they put a lot of effort into posting the pics. I guess for my new years resolution I will make a lot more effort in welcoming new fishers and thanking folks for sharing their fly tying skills and sharing their pics and stories. I will also take the time to read areas that do not usually interest me like warm water fishing etc. I know that there are many of the long time members who do put the effort in but there are many of us who do not put the effort into Flytalk, we should if we want the site to continue and evolve.
To all members new and old have a great holiday.
Steve Wrye
OC
Old 12-24-2009, 02:30 PM

Been very open for me. There are closed boards out there. This isn't one of them.

I've asked plenty of questions and had plenty of replies and PM's. It's been great.
Old 12-25-2009, 02:00 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Is the forum a closed society?

No.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 12-27-2009, 09:18 AM

closed-no way. but generally intolerant to oposing views, i think so. i remember posts say from miller brown which had legit complaints and was recieved with derision. i've seen this quite a bit over the years when non "insiders" have critica l comments. while questions from newbies and other non contoversial issues are met with genuine friendliness, there seems to be little tolerance for criticism or differences of opinion.

for what it's worth, it seems to me that the much bigger issue is where is the forum going? it seems like a rudderless ship with no direction for anything other than various group get togethers or where people can ask questions about fly fishing and get some good info. i find nothing wrong with that, but if the powers that be want to be a force in flyfishing, then it needs real commitment. lip service is not enough. it means real work that will attract interest-like regular and updated articles-not the stuff that's been here for years-real travel up dates and deals, news about the industry etc. that all takes lot of time, money, and commitment-all of which has been in short supply for years.

odviously what we've been doing for the past few years is not working. while it may be
true that other boards are also suffering as is the industry, the numerous other boards that i check in on are not nearly as moribound as we are here.

i think that asking for donations and dues is ok, but the question is-to what end? and if that end is something more than what we are now(a decent chat board among friends) , then what is the plan and who is doing what to implement it?
Old 12-27-2009, 01:06 PM
President of CAC

Well, Going forward is what you are speaking about which is what we hope. I will have to comment on one thing and that is the intolerance to opposing views which I do not see at all. I do see intolerance to opposing views cloaked with baiting... there is a very big difference. We can take MB for example. You need only go back to read what others have responded to such baiting and not just myself...some comments from newbees as well.... and sometimes Derision is met with Derision. From a personal point of view and I hazard to say from many others as well....legitamate points of view may not always be legitament points of view and have other motives, if you know what I mean.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:48 PM

General Forum - Closed Society

I have followed the threads on headlined topics with some interest. I am not an active contributor or questioneer, as the 190+ posts indicate but I am a very active 'lurker'.
In my opinion there probably should be a hard look at some of the topics, with the thought that maybe they could be combined or eliminated . Do I think a "General Forum"/"Liars Bench" or whatever would increase postings, maybe but not a lot. Would it give someplace to direct the "hi-jacking subject" to and allow original post to remain on subject, probably. I guess the only way to find out would be to try.

Someplace in the headline posts the question of "Where is this forum headed" got raised.
One forum cannot be all things to all people but my take on this one is it is really something I can be comfortable with, just as it stands. If this forum needs a direction to head in, what is it? I have yet to read any specific recommendations. If your criticism cannot be constructive and offer solutions, don't criticize!

Is this a closed society? This was perfectly answered with the comment "It is closed only if the observer sees it that way'. Even as a 'non charter member' I have never felt discomfort in posting. I will, however, offer a piece of advice to some of the "old timers".
When a question is posted by someone and that subject has been covered in many previous posts, before the posters registering, there is no reason to respond "Here we go again", "Re-opening that can of worms","Not again" or some such comment,or worse, "Didn't you use "search" before you posted?" These types of responses do make the original poster feel unwelcome. Guide the poster to search and give them a subject to search for, not everyone is sure how the search function works, instead of making snide remarks.

I am off my soap-box.

Tight Lines to all, and to all, Happy New Year.

Pete Readel
Old 12-27-2009, 08:20 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Don't worry about it. If you enjoy hanging out here it's yours to do so as it has been for a decade. If not, well go hang at a less moribound site or better yet - go fishing.

It's just a flyfishing discussion area not a business venture, for sharing information and is responsible for countless friendships, many that will last a lifetime. That's good enough for me at the moment, in fact much better than good.

I encourage anyone who would like to drive a site in some specific direction to build one and run it for some number of years. There's a change you'd be satisfied with an outcome as a forum for friendships, entertainment and information sharing, or perhaps not but one things for sure - you will be in control of your site's destiny whatever one wishes that to be.

For now, the forum is here 'as is' for those who enjoy it, and it's potential is really bound only by what participants bring to it in that sense.

- Juro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbrowncom
closed-no way. but generally intolerant to oposing views, i think so. i remember posts say from miller brown which had legit complaints and was recieved with derision. i've seen this quite a bit over the years when non "insiders" have critica l comments. while questions from newbies and other non contoversial issues are met with genuine friendliness, there seems to be little tolerance for criticism or differences of opinion.

for what it's worth, it seems to me that the much bigger issue is where is the forum going? it seems like a rudderless ship with no direction for anything other than various group get togethers or where people can ask questions about fly fishing and get some good info. i find nothing wrong with that, but if the powers that be want to be a force in flyfishing, then it needs real commitment. lip service is not enough. it means real work that will attract interest-like regular and updated articles-not the stuff that's been here for years-real travel up dates and deals, news about the industry etc. that all takes lot of time, money, and commitment-all of which has been in short supply for years.

odviously what we've been doing for the past few years is not working. while it may be
true that other boards are also suffering as is the industry, the numerous other boards that i check in on are not nearly as moribound as we are here.

i think that asking for donations and dues is ok, but the question is-to what end? and if that end is something more than what we are now(a decent chat board among friends) , then what is the plan and who is doing what to implement it?
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 12-27-2009, 08:40 PM
President of CAC

Juro, I have no problem with what you say......I only raised it because someone raised the "closed Society"... and then continued to post that in Threads with a pattern of these comments stuck in post that were on other subjects...so I started a thread ONLY for that question.......and knew there was another motive> we could still used a "general or BS Forum" which you seemed to agree with...I raise the UK or Canadian as another suggestion. The Closed Society comments...over and over...ticked me off.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.