Marlborough & Somerset Fly Shows - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-13-2009, 03:52 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Marlborough & Somerset Fly Shows

The Marlborough Show, Jan 15,16 & 17 has some pretty high level fly types presenting - Ray Stachelek, Rich Murphy, Alan Caolo, Dick Brown, etc.

Somerset, Jan 22, 23 & 24 has not announced the celebrities attending, but its rumored that Lefty Kreh will be there. Bob Popovics is there every year and very approachable for fly/fishing questions.

Anyone going to either show? I plan to attend Somerset to breakup the winter doldrums. There is always a seminar or flytying technique that are takeaways from the show. And there are some bargains from the vendors at the show. Just get there early.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2009, 04:56 AM

I don't go to these shows because they're the same every year. The one that I attend that is much better is the Bear's Den Show which is in Feb. Scott puts on a great show. FishHawk
Old 12-14-2009, 05:57 AM
Middle Aged Member

Bear's den show is in the nieghborhood and Scott and crew do a great job.

It's been 4 or 5 years since I marked the Marlboro or defunct Wilmington shows on my calender. Got to be the same old same old. I would only go when basser talked me into it (damn, I miss that guy).

I may or may not go to Marlboro, it'll be a show day decision.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:21 AM

I may go to Bears Den to pick up tying stuff. I am bored with the same group of so-called experts unless there is a presentation about something local.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:31 AM

Location: Many. From NE salt, Russia, Canadian A Salmon, NW Steelhead, Bahamas, Keys. Live in Upstate NY
I'll probably be at Somerset on Friday.
Bill
Old 12-14-2009, 02:42 PM
President of CAC

I am with Fishhawk, BigDave and FredA on this one. Same old stuff. The seminars maybe ok for beginners, but I don't need for someone to show me the Striper techniques (might be a good place to catch a nap)....or watching the same fly tyers tying the same stuff. I also have all the gear I will need for three lifetimes...Misc. Fish prints and lithos and books...got em...Absent going to see old friends (which I may go to the Bears den for that)... There is really nothing new...no new tying, perhaps a new material...but as we all know there are only so many ways to tye a fly...Besides, the real fun was when this Forum had our own booth...or should I say...meeting place
Old 12-16-2009, 10:41 AM
PhlyPhishing Physician

I'll go to Bear's Den show if it's on again this year and if I'm not on duty that weekend. Haven't been to Marlboro in some time. Used to go to the Saltwater Edge show in Newport, but they stopped doing shows last year.
Flydoc
Old 12-16-2009, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimS
Somerset, Jan 22, 23 & 24 has not announced the celebrities attending, but its rumored that Lefty Kreh will be there. Bob Popovics is there every year and very approachable for fly/fishing questions.
Lefty is supposed to be at the TFO booth but Bob Popovics has not been at this show for the last few years. Yes, you might run into him walking around the show but you won't see him tying his "fleyes" at this show.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:17 PM

i pretty much agree that the bear's den show is far and away the best of the bunch. and in these tough times it's a good idea to support the local businesses that are there for us all year long and not just at "show time"
Old 12-16-2009, 06:20 PM

I plan to do the Bear's Den. Marlborough will only be on if a bunch of the guys up here need a road trip excuse.
Old 12-25-2009, 07:41 PM

It is really pathetic that northern New England can't support one decent flyfishing show. The Bear's Den sounds like a good choice from what is left, but boy is it a drive from central Maine. Now that I also have a house in Florida, I think I am going lo time my trips south to a good Florida show. I really would like to try some Beulah rods for stripers so my Miser rod can go south.
Joe
Old 12-26-2009, 11:01 AM

Joe...FYI...I have a Beulah 10/11wt....like it a lot.......probably not an everyday striper rod but it has a lot of flexibility: easy to cast and casts well.......in my opinion, it is really a 10wt with a short 11wt butt section; .......great for punching out line in strong wind...great for sight casting, but would not want to blind cast all day with it....good boat rod....powerful enough for much larger fish.
Best line match seems to be an 11wt intermediate line and a 10wt fast sink....that's the set up I have and am very pleased with the performance.
Hope this was helpful to you.
Ron
Old 12-26-2009, 12:39 PM

Thanks for the info Ron. I really hope Juro can have a bunch of Beulahs for demoing and trying sometime this summer. And I am trying to talk one of the local flyshops into carrying them too.
Joe
Old 12-27-2009, 06:46 AM
6th Year Apprentice

I will probably go to marlboro - for some trout feathers.

Does anyone have confirmation that there is a Bearsden show this year ? - I don't see anything on his site or on the net when googling

mark
Old 12-27-2009, 07:44 AM

2010 Bear's Den Show

The Bear's Den site does indicates that the 12th annual show is scheduled for Feb. 20, 2010 at the Holiday Inn in Taunton. Thats the same place they held it last two years.

There are no details concerning the show yet. But I'm sure it will be good and I'm looking forward to attending (weather permitting).

Dan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.