General Forum Need? - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2009, 09:50 AM
President of CAC

General Forum Need?

I have posted the question on the Moderators forum on whether it would be good to have a new forum for nonfishing matters. A "pull up the stool" type of Forum....I will report back the moderators feelings on this and whether we will or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2009, 04:44 AM
Middle Aged Member

It would certainly reduce the off-topic clutter in the topical forums .

Sorry, couldn't help myself. Not a bad idea but with the activity here it would be like watering down water.

Maybe I've found a new years resolution. Start at least one thread a week.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:54 AM

I agree with Fred. Things wll pick up in the Spring when the fish arrive. FishHawk
Old 12-14-2009, 10:00 AM
President of CAC

Yes, I agree...I was also thinking in the same vain. That is , since the fishing here in the NE is down, as well as elsewhere, an off subject forum might be good. Unfortunatly, as I suspected, only 2 moderators responded so far, but there were several "views" and no responses....Juro will have to decide and it is no big deal.
Old 12-14-2009, 06:56 PM

well, it's as dead as kelsie's $&%# around here so anything may be an improvement. while things may have slowed down on other sites, at least there are signs of life there.

ice fishing for stray cats anyone?
Old 12-14-2009, 10:50 PM
President of CAC

Yes there are signs of life, but if you look you will see that on ReelTime, atleast in the NE forum it seems as though it's the same 20 or 25 posters all though. There is even a request for Articles requested by Cahill... and on Jeff's board it is the same thing... same 20 guys give or take. Jeff's board even has a long thread on "Participation" where some of the older (longer on the board that is) guys came forward out of obscurity to comment. So I was hopeful that , especially in the off season (except for the travelers) a forum might be set up for general nonsense...in a good way....we atleast have a more international flavor and the Steelhead stuff from out west... I have not looked at the regional sections on ReelTime so can not comment. Fly swaps are gone.... no one posts flies anymore and that is not just here... are we all getting tired, perhaps so. I have played golf for 30 years.... and while I was fishing alot I had at times only 4 or 5 rounds a year at my club... this year 70 ( I also have a golfer girlfriend who will learn to cast). I only say this because "intensity" of interest can wane... then come back, and so forth.... it's not the fishing that wanes... it maybe all the talk that does. Just a kneejerk reaction.... a lot of guys are gone... they are alive, but not on the forums..... I can name 20 guys who I know still fish but have lost interest in the internet... in fact I can remember... maybe 10 guys who I "beach walked" with who over the last many years... bought boats ,and are tuna fishing or looking for off shore stripers and.... then sold boats.....so.... for example I would like to take up more shooting, trap and clays.... not hunting. It's too bad... but we are like the stock market..... our stock was once $129 per share... now we are $15..... so we can go up or fold... but nothing we can do here will do it I fear... those that can hang in should.... We we once only about 25 guys when the forum started.... so small numbers will still work....hang in untill outside factors in fishing push us back up. Just an opinion. ...btw...look at the shows, guys are just plain tired and bored about them.... even in the MIDDLE of winter, when it's good to get that shot in the arm... the "high" is not there it appears..... The "high" from fishing still there (I firmly beleive), but not the other stuff....same old talkers and tyers... at one time it did not matter to me because just going was great and we once had our own booth at the shows..... now, I really don't have the energy to crowd around a fly tyer I have seen for 20 years do the same thing...and same "useless" products.. we could really use some young flyfishers starting out.... it might get our juices going again. When I was chairman of men's curling at Winchester Country Club years ago, the sport wained because we could not recruit younger curlers, (even when the Olympics highlighted the sport for the first time), The older guys died, and NO new blood.....gone. But I confess I really don't know how to do that here, or , honestly...if the work is worth the effort. It is a fact that WE ARE NOT a club, so membership here is usually by word of mouth or just happenstance.

Last edited by striblue; 12-14-2009 at 11:10 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:09 AM

This is not intended to come off as a bad mouth for another site but RT has been hijacked by non flyguys for some time and is really a forum for 15-20 guys who seem to live fairly close to each other. Most posts seem to be about the ditch during the season.

I for one would welcome more talk about the state of our atlantic fishery. I know those topics tend to spiral downward but it sure seems there is trouble on the horizon if not already at our doorstep.

You might want to stay away from politics though. Those topices can really get out of hand from my experience.

From what I've seen, sites really benefits from the more experienced anglers posting something about technique or a place they've fished to get the less experienced anglers asking questions and contributing. I would like to hear more about using the two handers for both stripers and steelhead from guys who have been at it a while.

More volunteer events would also be a great addition. I really enjoyed the big brother event last summer. Winter would be a great time to get something going to raise funds for the giveaways. Seems last year there was a struggle to find funds when the event came around. There are some talented guys on this site who could easily raise some money auctioning off a day or two of guiding or casting instruction.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:20 AM
President of CAC

Sounds like a good discussion. I was just thinking of what we have lost... The booth at the shows, the fly tying day at Stoneybrook, The fly swaps, The casting demos after the shows, little interest in the dinners at the shows, a dying of Rip trip participation (an with good reason because of cancellations), the dying of the Bone Clave participation, same with the canal clave... we still have the Spring Clave atleast and occasional demos run by Juro. Not to beat a dead horse, but people are gone... people that come to mind, JeffB, grego, Terry(Lefty), ssully, Nick, Bob Pink, Marvin, Doogue, Dfix, Jeffg, Roop, The Estes brothers, Jim Whelan...to name just a few that come to mind as I type this...But Mark sees what I see on the other boards as well.... The general discussion board COULD be about anything save flamming...but I have not heard from Juro as of yet to get his thoughts. Then again... we can simply do nothing. Maybe we just don't care.... do we?

Last edited by striblue; 12-15-2009 at 09:51 AM.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:11 AM

All have good ideas on getting more interest here. I know nothing about face book but could we somehow link with that site? It would bring a lot of people our way. How about a section with posts on where to go to see fishing vids. I never go to you tube to watch fishing vids but if flytalk had a section I just might watch them. Still like my idea of a Liars Den section where one could tell fishing related lies and get marked on a good lie, bad lie or no lie by members. That could bring in some really interesting fishing stories. We all love a good yarn and really good true fishing stories.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:13 AM

like everyone else here, i agree that the forum needs to do make changes-particularly in this era of diminishing interest in our sport. however, my perspective is a bit different. perhaps before we rush headlong into trying to do new things, maybe we should first take a frank look at what the forum is or has become, and then take a fresh look at what we would like it to be- particularly in light of current realities- and then lets discuss how to get there.

it seems to me that, like many internet boards, the forum has evolved into a chat board between a handful of regular friends and a few more infrequent participants, primarily involved in cape cod striper striper fishing, northwest steelhead fishing, and bahamas bonefishing, with an ocaisional get together. i would have to say, more as an observation than a criticism, that while the forum has the feeling of community , that feeling often has an insular side to it.

i for 1 have little problem with where i believe we are-a successful chat board where we have met and made new friends over the years-and what's wrong with that?. but, the question is: is this where the forum want to be- a chat board and little more. if the answer is yes, the the next questions are how do we make it a better chat board/community between the few of us and how do we revamp the forum to be consistent with the acceptance of the reality of what the forum is.

if the answer is that we want to be something more than just a chat board/commuinty then the questions are what, how do we get ther(because we are not there yet, and who is willing to commit the time to lead the charge, and who is wiling to do what in order to get there. make no mistake about it, it will take sustained leadership, time and money.

wherever things go, an honest assessment of where we are is the first step.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:29 PM
Fly chucker

That's an excellent observation.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:16 PM
President of CAC

Neal's assesment and observations, in my opinion, are spot on. My problem with each of the options is ...How do we make it more than a chat board? If we want to go that way what is to be done. If the option is to improve on the current "chat" format...what is it that we need to do? It seems to me that we have the 'Numbers" for the current chat format, and, in fact, probably need to do nothing more more since the numbers and "insular" group is already present. So the challenge is to go with the option to expand....it seems to me that that is what we would want...speaking only of my opinion. But I have no idea how to do that especially with the current reality of reduced participation on the forum and other forums. Interesting is the fact that if we can expand.... and end up making friends with new guys... will we not always be considered "insular"? Won't the new guys end up at some point meeting up and fishing with others on the forum? Won't many end up on first name basis? Won't the events that we have which we alway keep open... attract new members to join in? Haven't we said this over and over? Juro, JimS and I always keep the rip trips to anyone who is registered? Are we suppose to write our threads differently to sound "more" friendly. Don't we feel that we can "argue" points with those who we know on the forum.? Finally, won't there always be guys who will feel that we are insular.... I can only say that having been involved with the forum since the beginning I have a difficult time trying to figure out why we could ever be considered insular....looking at the record of friendships formed here. Is it because we simply 'know" each other that we are insular to others? So as we expand , if we can... will we not always be considered insular... just a larger insular group than before? I am stumped. Particularly when the only guy I knew before the forum that was ever on the board was Juro...I met everyone else from the years on the forum...many of us became friends...this is NATURAL.....so, There will be some who always feels that because of these friendships...WE are Insular....I simply don't get it. What do these people think..that we will always address ourselves as STRANGERS. ALL ARE WELCOME HERE......what else do we need to do..show up at their doorway with a welcome kit? I am simply expanding on Neal's points. I need to really understand why people would feel this way. Sometimes it's the persons own hangups about it. which we really can do nothing about it...But to simply feel that we are insuler SIMPLY because we know each on first name bais can not be OUR problem.

Last edited by striblue; 12-16-2009 at 04:51 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:36 PM
President of CAC

The responses from the Moderators... those that replied have all been positive.... One suggestion I will make is to Change the name of the "Getting Started" forum to "Getting Started- New flyfishers Welcome"... also we need to fill the moderator vacancies... for example we NEED a moderator for the "New Member Profile".... someone to watch it and answer new profiles... We should also Have a "Forum Activites" forum.... where any event in the individual forums can be listed... We do have references on the Home page but maybe in the forums themselves. Finally I must emphasis that we NEED a general BS forum. This is a start.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:00 PM

I certainly agree

Also, I respectfully disagree with Pete that Forums (Foria?) are passe. Even in the age of Twitter and Facebook, people still need to read, communicate and broadcast with the great outside world, even though it be constrained, as TFF is, by a specific interest. If we get a general "What's on your mind" basket created, who knows what three-pointers our lurking readership will put up.

I love to fish. I have steelhead swimming by my front yard. Haven't caught any. Yet. Went to Belize; talked about that. What else have I got to say? Pretty much takes care of my posting potential.

We could all start new threads: e.g., What do you think of Sharkskin lines, but, what the hey. I don't want to troll and I suspect none of the moderators do, either.

So, wherever Juro is on this, let's start a what-the-TTF calls a "Chit Chat Forum." We could call it "Cracker Barrel" (but that might restrict it to our rural correspondents from Georgia) or "Free For All" or "Spooled" or whatever. I think it would be a transfusion of vital bodily fluids to something we're all fighting to keep off life support.

I'll start with "What happens when Dick Cheney and Sarah Palin take over the Executive Office in 2012?"

Juro, where are you?

Cheers.

Eric
Old 12-16-2009, 11:47 PM
President of CAC

Thanks Eric... I can not suggest anymore....I can not argue my point anymore..nothing can be done without Juro... and we have made our case..... so I will quote Eric..."Juro, where are you?"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.