MA Saltwater License... - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-20-2009, 11:27 AM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
MA Saltwater License...

Looks like a saltwater license will be required, beginning Jan 1, 2011. Projected cost for residents is $10. No word on the cost for non-residents. Here's a link:

http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pb...0325/-1/NEWS01
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2009, 11:34 AM

Out of state License fee

Sounds like another excuse to bite the bullet Jim and find the Cape house sooner than later
Old 11-20-2009, 03:11 PM

Well here we go . I just hope the money goes to Marine fisheries and not in the general fund. FishHawk
Old 11-20-2009, 06:58 PM

I've read that most of the $ will go to hire people to manage the process................at least a few more people will get jobs. The article I read said that by getting permits, the state/gov will know where people fish...........that should be interesting as I live in Central mass........143 miles from Keith's shuttle......of course, given the global warming issue, maybe in a few years the cow pasture next to me will become the new NM
Another govererment program that wastes time and $!!!! I am sure that with the little $ left over, in 20 yrs they will determine that the commercial dragging is eliminating baitfish...by that time there will only be one striper left for all of us to share.
Hey...look at the bright side....anyone 60 or older has to get a permit, but there is no fee. I knew if I lived long enough there would be some benefit for being an old f _ _ _
Hopefully this new program will be as successful as Amtrak, the U.S. Postal Service, our wars, Social Security, Medicare, and God forbid, a gov run health care system.
OK...you are free to say that I am a synical old F _ _ _ ........but it has been a while since I have ever seen any good done by our lovely politicians. Actually, at the moment, I can't remember anything good....but then again, it might be demetia.
This kind of reminds me of an article I recently read where the state of california is spending multiple millions of dollars to try and discover where to find a source of water. It astounds me that with 3,000miles of coastline on the Pacific...no one has looked west and thought.....desalinization. Maybe if I write they will give me $5 for the idea.
My apologies in advance for my negative response. I need to fish and get in a better mood. I am suffering from SWS (Striper Withdrawl Syndrome) as you can tell

Ron
Old 11-21-2009, 10:18 AM
Squire animal

I wonder what they'll charge ex colonials!?

$10 doesn't seem much and if all it's going to do is give a paper pusher/license checker a job, what's the point?
Hey-ho, it seems you've got similar problems to us over here on the other side of the pond - mainly lip service from politicians wanting to be seen to be doing something (look good) without actually ruffling any feathers within the commercial sector.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:07 AM

Stevo....I forgot to mention in my previous post that the newspaper article on the saltwater permit requirement also mentioned that income generated would not allow to hire additional staff to actually enforce the need for a permit. They presently have significant cuts in personnel and don't even have enough staff to monitor fresh wader licensures.
If no one is there to enforce the need for a permit...it serves no purpose.
The permit is cheap, but I would be willing to pay triple if it actually paid for research to improve the fishery. My problem is not the permit, it is that the permit just pays for the permitting process and is non enforceable.
re your question on your cost.............they probably have not even thought about it. If asked, just say that you left your permit at home You can borrow mine.
Somehow I can't imagine the state to pay $20 for a shuttle ride to NM to see if I have a $10 permit.
Old 11-22-2009, 12:53 AM
President of CAC

"The state license fees would go toward the Marine Recreational Fisheries Development Fund to support programs for improved public access points with better lighting and dock facilities; stepped-up conservation efforts; stock improvements; and better data collection about recreational fishing." According to the paper. Absent a dislike about fees and taxes as a gut reaction,,,,projected $10 is no big deal to me. IF it goes for that stuff. I did not see in the article that there was any discussion between residence and non residence.... unless that has not been worked out yet. Is there any difference in that for freshwater? My recollection is that there is...but the "seashore" maybe treated differently than landlocked freshwater.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:35 AM

I am all for it. Any policy that proves the amount of money spent on recreational fishing in this state is a good thing. Any policy that helps fund enforcement (almost non-existent at the moment) will be good too. It will be interesting to see how MA will interact with our neighboring states. CT is already charging an arm and a leg for non-residents. Since most fishermen I know fish MA, RI, CT and NY salt over the course of a season, it would be nice to see some cooperation between the states instead of turning this into a money grab.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:49 AM
Flats Rat

I believe CT will honor reciprocity with neighboring States for the Marine license so Ma should be o.k.

NY is complicated and reciprocity only applies to LI Sound Waters so I guess I won't be fishing the odd days on the Hudson or Jamaica Bay in 2010!

RI is totally screwed currently since their Governor vetoed the State's approval of a $7 resident marine license. The RI Gov. citied a bunch of constitutional arguments/freedoms etc. but in fact he's shafted his constituents and now RI residents will have to pay the $25 federal marine license or risk getting busted by the US Coast Guard (or other enforcement agencies). Plus they will not have any reciprocity with neighboring states. There is a possibility the the veto will get overturned - I hope so!

Various expletives spring to mind but for now, I'll just state that ,overall, this has not been handled particulary well.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:50 AM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Adrian, I understand that the non-resident saltwater license for Conn. is $60. Is there reciprocity for this license with neighboring states? I think not. If I decide to have non-resident licenses for MA, RI & Ct, we are probably talking real money. In the scheme of things, I wouldn't have a problem with costly non-resident licenses if the funds went to support the resource.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:26 PM
Flats Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimS
Adrian, I understand that the non-resident saltwater license for Conn. is $60. Is there reciprocity for this license with neighboring states? I think not. If I decide to have non-resident licenses for MA, RI & Ct, we are probably talking real money. In the scheme of things, I wouldn't have a problem with costly non-resident licenses if the funds went to support the resource.
Jim

You raise an important point that I had overlooked. Folks coming to the Northeast to fish from outside of the 'reciprocity area' could face some hefty fees. Not sure what the plans are for shorter period licenses? Daily, weekly, monthly etc.? And how easy/accessible these would be? That might make it a bit more bearable...

One unexpected consequence of this could be fewer anglers visiting and a significant hit on State's revenues.

Here's the latest from CT DEP Website

http://www.ct.gov/Dep/cwp/view.asp?a...epNav_GID=1630
Old 11-24-2009, 01:30 PM
Fly chucker

It was my understanding that the original purpose of requiring a marine liscence was to better track the number of salt water anglers. If there isn't reciprocity with neighboring states, then that goal will be lost.

If I get a liscence for CT, NY, RI, and MA, I will be counted four times....I'm sure that other anglers would get into a similar situation to fish multiple waters. The number of salt water recreational anglers would be grossly overestimated without reciprocity.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:40 PM
Jonesin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dble Haul
If I get a liscence for CT, NY, RI, and MA, I will be counted four times....I'm sure that other anglers would get into a similar situation to fish multiple waters. The number of salt water recreational anglers would be grossly overestimated without reciprocity.
I am not sure but I think a SSN was a required field when I got the CT license for this fall (only $16 for non-res at the time). If thats the case it would be pretty easy to weed out the duplicates in a combined data set.

I agree that this could be a really good thing if managed properly. For me, not a big deal to pay the fees if they are not outrageous but it will be challenging to take a friend out for just a day or two a season that doesn't normally fish saltwater if we fish out of state which is a pretty normal event for me.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:45 PM

Check this out for some help or more confusion:

http://www.countmyfish.noaa.gov/mrip/

Joe
Old 11-25-2009, 05:11 AM

Thumbs down

This is just another excuse to take money out of our pockets. There will be exactly zero funds spent on anything that will help the fisherie. Strip all the bureaucratic bullshit out about the need to track everyone fishing and you got nothing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.