Mighty MO - Fly Fishing Forum
Great Lakes Steelhead & Salmon Amazing "Inland ocean" fisheries

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-18-2009, 08:01 AM

Mighty MO

Returned from a trip to Michigan fishing the Muskegon with Capt Kevin Feenstra and Capt Matt Zudweg. I can't say enough about these guides. Great fun to fish with. We drove the first leg from VT to Buffalo and fished the big water. Loaded with lakers and a few small steel. Nice weather brought a lot of anglers out. Took a couple of big lakers and steelhead to 6 or 7 pounds. Quick burger and a couple of pints and it was off to Newaygo MI. About a 9 hour drive. Passport expired in Aug so we took the PA, Ohio route. Fished the next two days swinging large Feenstra flies on the spey rod. 550 skagit, 12-14' T-14, short leaders. Used many of the casts I learned from the spey clave on the Cape this spring from memebers on this forum, so a big thanks is in order. Everyone landed a few beautiful chrome fresh steelhead on the swing. Looking forward to going back next year and staying a couple of extra days to give the Manistee a try. Would love to hear about some other rivers to try in GLs, PNW, or BC. I've been doing some research on the lower Skeena near Terrace BC.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2009, 07:39 AM

I'm heading there tonight for ten days of steelhead fishing. Kevin's a good friend of mine and just a terrific guy and guide. He married a wonderful young lady this summer so now his life should just about be complete. There are a ton of Michigan and Wisconsin rivers to fish in addition to the Mo, but I like the Mo the best, by far. Check out the Manistee and the Pere Marquette, both also in western Michigan. There are so many different rivers in the PNW that it would take a book, or several of them for that matter, to clue you in. The North Umpqua, Deschutes, and Sandy will get you started in Oregon. The Olympic Peninsula rivers in Washington might be a good place to look for winter runs. The Clearwater and Snake are both fishing well this fall. British Columbia has a ton of good rivers. Perhaps Juro will pipe in here as he used to live in that area and certainly knows far more than I do about those rivers. Glad you had a great trip!
Old 11-20-2009, 06:22 PM

I just returned from fishing Elk Creek in PA, and The Conneaut and Grand in OH. I wish I'd discovered this 10 yrs ago. Our rivers were very low, but on Elk Creek there were so many steelhead it didn't matter much. I went as a swinger, but returned as a bobber.
Old 11-21-2009, 06:35 PM
thread killer

Gseries, glad you enjoyed the neighborhood. Kevin is in a league of his own, good call there. These rivers have alot to offer and are always best after the Salmon madness is over [latter October] Once firearms Deer season starts 11/15 there are even less folks fishing. In my humble opinion.. as good as it gets [here] We were blessed with some large precip spikes, really helped kickstart things.

The weather can bite you though. I've seen full blown winter start in single digits of November multiple times. Go to bed with typical late fall evening and wake up to snowmobile traffic on the county road & total area school closings Solid winter until late March.. This fall has been very generous so far though!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.