What is your prediction for 2010? - Fly Fishing Forum
Classic Atlantic Salmon No pursuit rivals salmon rivers, flies & legacy

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-25-2009, 12:16 PM

What is your prediction for 2010?

Hi Gents (and ladies),

You all must be too busy reading statistics and deciding if and where you will test the winter drawing reservation systems. (less than one week away). It has been way too quite on this board, there must be some Optimistic/ scientific folks out there that will say Spawning was GOOD in 2003 (7 years ago) so there will be Good returns despite the overall decline in grilse counts this past season. ANY INPUT?
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2009, 02:20 PM

Hi Again,

I Thought is was very Quiet out there. I guess that SILENT is more like it. NOBODY OUT OF 86 VIEWS HAS ANYTHING TO SAY?? NO PREDICTIONS??

I Guess the rivers are going to be pretty empty because no one will fish in 2010 so there will be lots of room to cast and picking zones will be a breeze instead of a challenge.

There must be somebody out there with some input! Even a short story about 2009 would suffice, this board is dead!
Old 10-28-2009, 03:07 PM

The small runs of grilse in my favorite salmon rivers this year has me worried about the prospects for 2 year at sea salmon next year, but it's not going to stop me from making a trip to Gaspe, Quebec in June and to the Miramichi in September. There are always a few 3 year fish and repeat spawners plus grilse. The mid summer trip is the one in question. I usually do this one at the last minute when the fishing conditions look promicing. If they don't look half decent, I don't go.

Good luck in the preseason draws!

Earle Fletcher
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2009, 05:48 PM

Thanks Earle,

I appreciate that you have the courtesy to provide some honest input. Good luck to you also.

I am not a biologist and do not claim to know the ins and outs of salmon returns. I have read that we are expecting a decrease in 2-Sea winter fish due to low grilse runs in 2009. I have only read this in the general sense. Is there a model or a historical trend that can be referenced that can prove that trend? Has anyone got a statistical example? A comparison from one year to another?

Is there a reason to exercise more stringent Catch and Release Policies as described by Salar 36? OR to wait until a mid season count or to achieve a satisfactory escapement before allowing a harvest? I am only thinking about the future here.. any input??

Does anyone predict a banner year for Grilse? Based on good returns and spawning escapement in 2003??

My questions are directed towards educating myself and obviously lean towards conservational ideals.

Thanks for reading
Old 10-29-2009, 12:05 PM
Venture

Send a message via ICQ to Venture
It's quite easy to predict that fishing will be tough. It is always tough.

We were supposed to have a banner year this year because of the prior year's grilse runs yet we were sabotaged by the near drought conditions.

Hopefully conditions will be better this year. Couldn"t really be worse.

One thing for sure. The Metropole Hotel is up for sale.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:45 PM

"Has anyone got a statistical example? A comparison from one year to another? "

I did the exercice to see with the Matane statistics if we have a significant relationship between the number of grilse a year and the number of MSW the year after.

With the last 24 years data, we have a ratio of .982 (so when 1000 grilse came a year, in average, 982 salmon came the year after). For the last 24 years, this ratio has been lower than .75 only 2 times, and higher than 1,25 only 2 times. Based ont last 24 years stats and less than 800 grilses in 2009, we can reasonably expect that the Matane will have between 570 and 950 MSW, with an average of 736 salmon...

BUT...I did the same exercice, based in the last 10 years. The average is significantly lower, at .84. And the highest level was, .94, the lowest at .67. With these number, the new interval of confident (I am not sure that term is right in english) would be between 535 and 750, with an average of 672. The conservation level is established at 625 (too low IMHO)...The date of revision on the Matane is August 15th, at this date, we can easily expect that at least 150 MSW will have been caught and killed...

The Matane has probably the most critical situation in Gaspe, on other rivers, the run of grilse was lower than 2008, but not that much than Matane compared with the long term average (keep in mind that 2008 was one of the highest run of grilse since long time, so not a good benchmark). But the current indicator provide the information that if the current regulation is not change on this river, we may see the worst spawn of the last 30 years in 2010. I just hope that we can be more proactive than that...

Venture, even if the fishing was bad, the number of MSW in Matane for 2009 was very good...2010 will be worst.
Old 11-14-2009, 07:33 AM

Thanks Salar 36,

That is a nice mathematical analysis. Maybe the grilse runs were low because of the drought? Maybe there will be more two sea-winter fish than we think because they failed to enter the rivers? Maybe the runs of Grilse this year will be large due to good spawning in 2003? Maybe there will be less fishing pressure on the rivers than in previous years due to the economy and predictions of a poor 2010?

Unfortunately, pure speculation on the part of a few of us avid salmon anglers isn't going to result in Action by the various river management systems to institute conservative measures to protect those fish that do return. Things apppear to be status quo, the dollar will be spent, the killing will resume, and the stocks may indeed suffer. When will they realize it is too late?

MAYBE we'll all find out the hard way.

By the way, there isn't any Maybe in my plans to fish and continue to catch and release. That is of course dependent on CHANCE also..

Have a great winter and good luck in your river selections for 2010.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:00 PM

I hope and believe that there'll be an increase in 3 and possibly 4 MSW fish this summer coming. Quebec's North shore didn't get the torential fall rains the past few yrs. so I'll predict the runs should be slightly on the increase again .
Cheers
Brian
Old 12-04-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salar-1
I hope and believe that there'll be an increase in 3 and possibly 4 MSW fish this summer coming. Quebec's North shore didn't get the torential fall rains the past few yrs. so I'll predict the runs should be slightly on the increase again .
Cheers
Brian

Brian

We did have major rainfall in the last years just it didn't make the news like it did on the Penninsula (south shore). Some of those rainfall did affect the rivers, I live in the middle of two of them that have been affected.

Jocelin
Old 12-25-2009, 05:28 PM

2010 - my prediction and why

I believe 2010 will be a great year (compared to previous seasons) for large spring salmon and lots of them

Why?

Because we are experiencing a comparatively harsh winter with lots of snow. I can only think back to season 1978 and 1985 as comparators which were very good indeed.

Not much science - just a gut feeling.

humber123
Old 12-25-2009, 09:00 PM

Humber123

Your snow predictions could be right, but here on the North Shore we have almost no snow and we just expereince some of the warmest days in December with 3 days of rain Dec 21 22 23, Dec 24 was +3 sunny blue skies. On the DEC 21 we had musquitoes flying around the porch.

Rivers are real low compared to the last 3 years .

Jocelin
Old 12-31-2009, 03:46 PM

Manitou

It is still snowing in Edinburgh as I write

This is unprecedented - 2 weeks of snow. I have never seen this before and I am nearly 53!

A Happy and Warm New Year to all on this Forum

humber123
Old 01-05-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humber123
Manitou

It is still snowing in Edinburgh as I write

This is unprecedented - 2 weeks of snow. I have never seen this before and I am nearly 53!

A Happy and Warm New Year to all on this Forum

humber123

Humber123

I guess in your area the snow is packing up, to bad we can't say the same for Quebec North Shore area, since our last exchange we had lots of rain 4 days of the wet stuff with temperatures climbing all the way to +8 celcius, this is not common for this part of Quebec.

This morning it's a tad colder the temperature is hovering under the freezing mark wich created this icy mess

Happy New Year to all of you also

Jocelin
Old 01-10-2010, 01:34 AM

Here is a weather update from Scotland!

Here are some pics of the Forth today

This was the Runway at Edinburgh Airport around 1045 today

and here is apicture of my mum clearing the path at her house

The snow is at least 5 inches deep after settling and pretty crunchy underfoot.

Must say I have never seen so many birds gathered together at the one spot on a river before

The ice was all the way across (70-80 metres or so) and pretty thick in many places

It is going to be a massive flood when it melts

tweedbunnet
Old 01-12-2010, 01:06 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Thanks for the images from the Tweed. I can see how a Spey cast would be the right cast for fishing this river, and hope to do it someday soon. Now go shovel for mum!
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.