Alphonse Island Seychelles 2009 - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2009, 01:03 PM
In moderation

Alphonse Island Seychelles 2009

Hi Everyone
I have just got back from my trip.
There weather as on almost every trip this year was not ideal.
If you want I can write a brief report but in the mean time here a few pics.

Pete

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2009, 01:40 PM

You're killin me!
Old 11-11-2009, 01:14 AM
In moderation

Sorry Dave.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:18 AM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Pete, nice! Is that an indo-pacific permit?
Old 11-11-2009, 08:37 AM
In moderation

Well spotted Jim
Old 11-11-2009, 10:04 AM
obsessive/compulsive

Pete, news here is that the Seychelles are not safe as a result of Somali pirates. Apparently not true?

Most everyone would be interested in a trip report.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:21 AM
In moderation

Hi Jim
I go fishing on Alphonse Island. A lot of other trips are live a boards where you actually stay on a boat moored close to the islands that you fish.

Travel to Alphonse is by plane and therefore the is no risk of a pirate encounter.

The Seychelles government has, since the last kidnappings, banned fishing based from live a boards and is discouraging most shipping in the area.

If you do what I did and this is now my sixth trip to Alphonse then you do not need to worry about pirates.

Pete

A trip report will follow.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:38 PM
In moderation

Trip Report

OK Jim you asked for it.

In general I was a little disappointed with this trip.

The weather almost ruined it and staying and fishing in Alphonse Island Resort is not as good as it used to be.

Alphonse island resort was built just over 10 years ago to be a luxury hotel where the guests, amongst other things, can go fly fishing around the island but more interestingly on the next island St. François.
A few years ago the news was that it had been sold to a property developer who was going to change it into a super mega exclusive deluxe etc. resort. That meant that they would demolish the old hotel buildings and build new ones in particularly some exclusive villas that they would try to sell for $8 million each.
Since my last visit a couple of years ago nothing has happened in terms of demolition/construction but it is no longer a hotel but a fishing lodge catering for a maximum of 10 anglers.
As a hotel it supposedly could cater for about 60 guests but I have never seen more than about 25 people staying there at one time.

The net result of this is that they have reduced staff and budgets.
The service has not really deteriorated but the quality of the food has seriously.
However the prices have remained constant.

I arrived on Saturday Oct 31 and was surprised that half of the party of 10 anglers were people from a cancelled live a board trip to St Josephs. If their trip had taken place we would have only have been 5 guests on the Island. However we had a good group and everyone got on with each other very well.

First day’s fishing was on Sunday and was a normal day’s fishing in the St. François lagoon. I caught about 20 bonefish a triggerfish some bluefin trevs and a number of other species. I was fishing with a South African guy and our guide was a cool laidback American who I was very happy with.

The next day we went out with the head guide, a very “enthusiastic” South African.
We fished the St François lagoon again and in the morning caught a few bones and had some shots at permit with no takers. We then walked out to the edge of the reef catching more bones on the way. I also managed to catch a lot of small bluefin trevs.
My partner caught a small GT in the surf but after a while we went in search of other fish. Our guide was getting to me in as much as he was over positive. Everything was fantastic, the best or other superlatives. (Shut the f… up) I hooked a milkfish of about 30lbs later in the day but it came off after about a minute or so. On the last flat of the day I managed another 6 bones in the last half hour.
As were cruised back to Alphonse in the mothership we could see the weather closing in.
I was woken in the middle of the night by howling winds, lashing rain, thunder and lightening. At times the cabin was seriously shaking. I didn’t worry as I had drunk a nightcap of Redbreast Irish Whisky.

Next morning I was woken at the normal time of 5.30 to be told that breakfast would be served at 8.00 and not the normal 6.00. During breakfast we were informed that we would not go to St. François but stay on Alphonse as it was too rough and we could fish on Alphonse if we really wanted. I went back to bed.
A few people went fishing but it was blowing over 40knotts and very little was caught.

That evening over dinner we were informed that the skiffs that were moored at St. François had sunk and that we could only fish around Alphonse that day. The fishing was good but not spectacular and I caught 10 or so bones a few bluefins and had a shot at a medium size GT that ignored my offering.

Thursday the sun was shining so we went to St. François. There was only one skiff in working order so we were to be dropped off from the mothership and then picked up later. The weather was nice so I left my rain jacket on the ship – big mistake.
At about 10.00am it started clouding over and half an hour later the heavens opened.
We were fishing our way out to the reef catching bones with the intention of some GT shots later. During a break in the rain I thought I will take my shirt off to try to dry out but There was no point as it started raining again immediately. I started shivering.
Eventually my guide took pity on me and loaned me his rain jacket. I was soaked but it did provide a little insulation from the wind and I warmed up a little.
At the reef my partner lost his flyline to a GT and I managed to catch the bluefin in the photo. You can see what the weather was like. I was very glad when we started the walk back as I could warm up a little.
When I got back I stood for about half an hour in a hot shower – not bad for the tropics.

Friday, the last day, started with brilliant sunshine which stayed for the whole day. This was more like Seychelles weather. The boat situation was similar to the day before.
I quickly got into the bonefish and lost count of how many I caught. We found a few permit on the flats and I managed to land the fish in the photo. Continued to catch bones and bluefin until the tide went out. We went back to the mothership for lunch as the ferry skiff was quite close. My guide was pretty new and inexperienced (or incompetent) and did not know where to fish so I suggested that we fish around a few coral heads until the tide started pushing. I caught some nice snappers and had one fish on for about 15 mins before it came off. I have no idea what it was but was very strong even on my 10wt. The tide started to push and we had a look at a nearby flat and were pleasantly surprised to see hundreds of tails sticking out of the water. Among the fished that I hooked there was one bonefish that took about 100yards of backing from me and went off the edge of the flat. It stopped and I reeled a bonefish head in. That was the strongest and perhaps biggest bone I had hooked all week.
I also caught a couple of nice tailing blue spangled emperor fish.
And that was it.

Tally for the week:

100+ bonefish up to about 5lbs average about 2-3.
50+ bluefin up to about 10lbs average about 2lbs.
3 GTs all small biggest about 3lbs.
1 trigger.
1 permit about 16lbs.

Blue spangled emperors, yellow lipped emperors, big eye trevs, spiny queen fish, pater bream, garrick, 3 or 4 different sorts of grouper, 3 or 4 different sorts of snapper.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:59 PM
Surfingfireman

Sweet report, sweet fish and sweet trip. Oh the dreaming....
Old 11-11-2009, 03:37 PM
*** FORUM SPONSOR ***

Location: Western New York Steelhead, Bahamas Bonefish, Wild Western Trout
Pete, nice shots--and it sounds like a hell of an adventure. I miss the Seychelles

Always remember there are worse places you could have been.
God does not deduct from man's alloted time the hours spent fishing.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:15 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Pete - loved reading the report! Did you tell the enthusiastic guide to shut the F up before or after the whiskey? Let's definitely hit an island this winter.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 11-12-2009, 07:17 AM
obsessive/compulsive

Thanks for the detailed report Pete.
Old 11-13-2009, 06:54 PM

Very nice Pete. I personally had no worries about pirates abducting you as they never take their own kind…lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.