Fly Fishing Forum banner

Cool article

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Bjorn 
#1 ·
I found this article yesterday and thought it was both well written and a good, boiled down summary of saltwater fly fishing/bonefishing.

http://tiny.cc/ZNpeC

(this link isn't to my blog, or to anyone that I know... I hope this passes the sniff test about links allowed, if not, please let me know).

Bjorn

#4 ·
Thank you for the link. I read it right away and was very impressed. For one thing, the guy can write. It is rare indeed to have something written these days in something other than publishing venues, that doesn't pretty much butcher the English language. I always wear my English teacher's hat when reading and have to say that this one was almost completely flawless in spelling, grammar, and syntax. So immediately, he has my deep respect. I also agree with virtually everything he wrote. There were a few exceptions. I don't think taking most fly reels and soaking them in freshwater overnight is a good idea. I know it's a disaster with some reels and will void the warranty. I wouldn't do it at all unless I confirmed with the manufacturer that it is OK. Most of us do nothing more than rinse a reel down with freshwater when returning each day and then do a more thorough job of cleaning when we return home. Even then I won't soak a reel overnight, but I'll get in there and clean it thoroughly. Secondly, I do not recommend scrunching low before casting to a fish. The temptation to do so is certainly there, and I still absent-mindedly do it on occasion. However, most of us cannot cast nearly as well in that position and our casting stroke tends to be too high on the backcast and right down at the water on the forecast when scrunched over. Now, all bets are off if a fish is spotted twenty feet from the boat when it comes out of "nowhere." However, at that point the cast doesn't need to be long anyway so the scrunching over doesn't really effect much. Finally, I don't agree with his observations on fluorocarbon. Just like not all nylon mono is the same, neither is FC. And that's been covered fairly thoroughly on this board in the past. There are FC materials I would not use for bonefishing primarily because they were designed more for trout or some other type of fishing. They are too limp, not abrasion resistant enough, and won't turn over a weighted bonefish fly effectively. However, there are FC materials that are stiff enough and some of the best are more abrasion resistant than most nylons. So rather than just saying don't use FC, he probably should have said find a FC material that works best for you. I use a different FC material for bonefishing than I do for stripers/albies, and a different one yet for my shock tippets for tarpon. The advantages of FC are real so it is worth your time and effort to find the good ones for your types of fishing. Though this post makes it seem as if I'm being very critical of his article, these points cover only about 10% of the information provided, and the rest is right on target.

#6 ·
Agreed

I found it just a joy to read... that's why I wanted to share it... I think it was written about 7 years ago (2002?), so some of the FC advances may have taken place within that time... maybe...

Speaking of good writing, I've also enjoyed re-reading Dick Brown's book on bonefishing. Some of it is very poetic (and I mean that in a good way).

B-

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.