John Day River? - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-15-2009, 08:42 PM

John Day River?

The John Day River is a river 20 minutes from the Deschutes River going east bound. I look at the maps of Oregon and the John Day looks pretty good on paper. Few roads to get to it, looks like deep canyons everywhere. So my question is are there steelhead in there or is river an irrigation nightmare? Can it be floated which looks like a two or three day float or will I go over the mystery falls or have a deliverence experience? Juro, Eric, anyone help would be helpful in our future plans on boating/ rafting.
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2009, 06:59 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Often over-looked but plenty of privacy and steelhead is what I've always heard about John Day. Used to talk to a guide who did really well on it at the fly shows but can't remember his name at the moment. Floating it is the best way to cover ground but you can drive into the canyon w/ proper vehicle. I'd be up for exploration of it.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2009, 11:30 AM

OC,
PM sent.

Juro,
You might be thinking of Marty Shepard of Little Creek Outfitters.

Take care,
Chris
Old 09-16-2009, 11:39 AM

I've floated the John Day several times from Clarno to Cottonwood. This is a three-day run, at least. Very picturesque trip; like the Deschutes without people.

Steelhead are in after the fall rains start (November) and the fishing continues through the winter. You must wait for the rains in order to float the river, as it pretty much dries up during the summer (too low for driftboats and rafts, anyway...wonderful smallmouth fishing during this time, if you can get to them).

Do not, under any circumstances, attempt to run the falls. The falls are a very narrow, steep cleft in the basalt not too far upstream from where the John Day enters the Columbia. Take out at Cottonwood; shuttles are available.

Cheers,

Eric
Old 09-16-2009, 01:55 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

KNowing Eric, that's his professional river rafter's vernacular for YOU WILL DIE if you do the falls
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 09-26-2009, 12:20 AM

We have always put in at Muleshoe and make a three day trip down to twickenham bridge in mid July fishing for small mouth with poppers on 2wts. Some people float the John Day in the fall fishen for Steelhead and hunting ducks and geese.

Albert
Old 09-26-2009, 02:04 AM

John Day vs Deschutes flows

Today the John Day is flowing at 88 cfs. The Deschutes is over 4,000 cfs. One source of information about visiting the John Day can be found here: http://www.blm.gov/or/resources/recr...nday/index.php

Marty Sheppard is one of several excellent licensed guides on the John Day. Here is the entire list of permitted guides and outfitters on the John Day: http://www.blm.gov/or/resources/recr...outfitters.php

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.