Bonefish next June - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2009, 08:35 AM

Bonefish next June

Hi Guys,

As a 15 year veteran of guiding fly fishers in pursuit of salmo trutta, I have finally bitten the bullet and decided to cross over to the dark side of saltwater fly fishing. At least for a month that is! The old adage of 'you can't knock it until you've tried it' has been ringing in my ears for years and its time to see what's what.

The plan is to jump a flight from the start of winter down under and head north to the USA.Then samba on down into the warm water world of bones, permit etc. I will spend all of June and possibly some of July stumbling around with my travel rods and flytying gear; looking for budget (and occasionally not so cheap) fishing options. I am not interested in tarpon or blue water fishing. I really want to give flats fishing a crack and see if I can have some success and more importantly, learn a lot/have fun!!

After the salt fix is over in early to mid-July, I will take off to Montana to more familiar surrounds; where I will be able to find and catch fish blindfolded while completing my tax return !! Cocky when it comes to spotted fish.......but this salt stuff is a big learning curve for me......

Anyway, I have been searching and collating info for about two weeks and only just found this site (which I will thoroughly sift through); but it has seemed that nearly all of the fishing has/is being locked away by industrious tour organisers and guides. I am finding little nuggets of info here though.

I was hoping that some of you will take pity on me and help give me a prod in the right direction. Everyone keeps saying hurricane season (June-July) so Los Roques looks like one of the options. I will have the funds to be able to engage a guide here and there; but definitely wish to avoid the lodge experience. Four to six weeks of chasing bones/permit from roughly June 1 to July 1 -15.

Feel free to PM me if you are willing to help. For what its worth I am more than willing to reciprocate for those wishing to fish in Australia or NZ. Any ideas? Not expecting any secrets, nevertheless I am happy to keep locations to myself should that be part of the bargain.

Anyone want to join in on a leg of the trip? *G*

Sign: Cancer (Merkin style)
Likes: long walks on sandy flats with a beautiful 7weight........candlelit fly tying sessions for one.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2009, 07:38 PM
*** FORUM SPONSOR ***

Location: Western New York Steelhead, Bahamas Bonefish, Wild Western Trout
Sounds like a great trip is in store!

The Bahamas at that time is an option. That is not realistically during their hurricane season, though it is hot and humid there.

The hurricanes usually hit the bahamas September thru November to the best of my knowledge.

Lots of options in the bahamas--Acklins, ELeuthera, GB, Abacos, Long Island, Andros. You could go to several or get to know one really well.

Most of my knowledge and exoperience with DIY centers around Acklins and Eleuthera. Both very cool places.

send me an e-mail if you'd like to discuss further.

vtobia@aol.com
God does not deduct from man's alloted time the hours spent fishing.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:50 PM
Surfingfireman

I can't really offer you much advice but I can offer a whole lot of JEALOUSY!!!

Los Roques is a dream destination for me. I actually do have some info on affordable accommodations there. PM me if you are interested.

Your "profile" was just rubbing salt in the wound, because you might as well be describing me, only difference being I use 6 and 9 weights...
Old 09-11-2009, 06:05 AM

thanks fellas

Thanks for the info guys. PMs and emails sent...;-)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.