Just wanted to share, DIY - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2009, 06:16 PM

Send a message via MSN to arubaman
Just wanted to share, DIY

Good preparations.
Finding a nice place on the internet with not much known about it.
Checking out to make sure it's the good season. Checking once more to see you even got the moon right.
Traveling almost 40 hours to get to the final destination (amsterdam-london-miami-managua-domestic flight and a rough panga ride)
Discovering paradise!
But...
Bad weather, lots of rains (it was supposed to be the dry season ), cold fronts and a howling wind. The water cleared out after 4-5 days and it all seemed to come together, when after one day ofg spotting some fish the weather picked up the cold front modus again and there were not even sergeant majors or damselfish to be seen.
It turned even more crappy, mud came in the water and the whole 2 1/2 weeks had 1 day that showed us the potentials of the area.
Dreams did not came true, but the best rum in the world got discovered.

DIY, you win some, you loose some. But it's never a sure options to have good fishing. My buddies and I had a hard time, but still we won't regret we took our chances. Maybe someday we will find that true jewel. And we won't have to be "trigger"-happy all day.

For the time being... One of the buddies made a small clip of our trip on youtube and I think he did an amazing job. We are dutch folks and there are no subtitles, but still wanted to share. hope you guys enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7FT6i99tfM

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2009, 08:34 PM

looks for for looking so horrible!
Old 09-10-2009, 07:20 AM
Flats Rat

Great stuff!!!
Old 09-10-2009, 08:05 PM
Surfingfireman

That was very cool! Any idea what you had hooked at the 2 minute mark of the video? Looks like the fish wrapped you around some coral and despite a helper trying to untangle the line, the fish appeared to be lost? A big jack maybe?
Old 09-11-2009, 05:49 AM

Send a message via MSN to arubaman
Yeah, we know what it was... A nice and quite big triggerfish. HJ sightcasted on it and it got on, it started running and I was filming and told him to run after it to prevent it from getting stuck. He realised it maybe a bit late or right in time and started running, but the fish made it of the edge of the reef.
There my buddy stood, sunset with a big fish on and probably stuck. Brian took over the camera and my rod and I started descending from the reef edge towards the business end of the flyline. I heard a yell behind me and felt a strip on the line but on the rod end behind me. I looked back and saw a wave that throw HJ on the reef, he lied there and we could laugh about it. Then the pressure dropped of the line and the fish broke himself off...
Still one of the highlights of the trip (can you imagine how the fishing was....)
Old 09-12-2009, 10:19 AM

Looks like you guys had a GREAT adventure! Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:24 PM

Where is Corn Island?

Never mind, I found it. Google is awesome...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.