Saturday report - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2009, 05:19 PM

Send a message via AIM to highway61
Saturday report

I took my 16' Sea Nymph, aka "the aluminum can" out of stage harbor on saturday. When I arrived at the ramp, I realized I had my 5 wt. sage XP, not the 9wt. xi2. Damn!! I also had a spinning rod, so I thought would have to use that instead. I was out on the water and anchored up on a sand bar by 6:30. Instead of going with the spinning rod I put my riptide on the XP. I was amazed that the XP could cast a 9 wt. line. I knew I wasn't going to win any long distance casting prize but I didn't need to. I cast into the fly out 40' or so and let the moving water do the rest.

As it turned out the 5 wt ended up being a good choice becasue I spent most of the morning catching small bluefish, not many over 20". It was non-stop action. The problem was keeping up with them. They kept moving back and forth pushing bait 50' off the refuge shore. Looking down in 8' of water I could see hundreds of them. They were feeding on clouds of sand eels. It was blast! By noon I had caught more than 30.

While in the midst of this blitz, I watched 3 large birds which I believe were juvenile eagles, swooping down, snagging the blues. Could that be right? Do eagles nest on the cape? I am no birder but they weren't ospreys and they didn't look like hawks. It was definitely a "Wild Kingdom" moment. All in all, a great day on the water!

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2009, 08:19 PM
2hand canal ,conventional

ospreys

Those most likely ospreys, blues on a fly rod are a blast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2009, 04:43 AM
Middle Aged Member

Saw you pass by while on the refuge Sunday am.

On a walk down South Beach in late december a couple of years ago OC and Tracy ID'd several bald eagles hanging out in one of the crossovers. They were a hundred yards away and I'd never identify them but being from the pnw OC sees them regularly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.