Culebra Vieques? - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2009, 08:45 PM

Culebra Vieques?

I am looking at a trip somewhere come the Spring for bonefish and a couple of those places I'm looking at are Culebra or Vieques. I have been reading the Vieques Angler blog for a while and it sounds interesting. However, reading some of the reports here it makes both options seem a little weak. Anyone fish either place recently? DIY options? I wrote a NY Times reporter a while back who had written about Vieques and he said there were flats to walk out on and that you could rent a kayak to get to others pretty easily. That sounds good, but I don't want to get there and find out otherwise.

Love some advice.

Bjorn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2009, 11:06 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Bjorn -

I've been to Culebra and found it to be a pleasant island with a few flats to explore and a few large bones on them. Also have seen giant permit and lots of tarpon but you'd want to go during the pilchard runs as opposed to fishing the resident tarpon around the restaurants. The locals net the permit for their fine flesh so it's hit or miss.

I'd go again now that I know where the fish are but I wouldn't recommend it as a bonefish destination for the uninitiated. I plan to go back during the pilchard run for beach tarpon someday, and knowing where the bones are I am sure I can entertain myself there as well as enjoying the fine local food and libations at Mamacitas.

I have not been to Vieques although I spoke to Silas who has been there and is currently visiting Cape Cod from the UK. Sounded like a similar situation, "it ain't the bahamas".
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2009, 11:48 PM

Thanks Juro... that's what I was wanting to know. Looks like it is back to Grand Bahama for me.

Bjorn
Old 09-04-2009, 06:53 AM
In moderation

I agree with Juro.
Culebra is not a real bonefish destination.
I visited Culebra with Juro last year. We caught some fish but they were few and far between. The social life was much better.

I would not go back there specifically to fish there are many other better places.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:39 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I don't know if it's foolish sentiment but I would like to go back to Porta Del Sol (rural west end) where I hooked many tarpon - some of which I could not dream of landing as well as some very nice ones I could. I understand that when the pilchard swarms arrive things go absolutely nuts right on the beaches both there and in Culebra / Vieques and right on into the Virgin Islands. The issue is knowing which island to be on at any given time so I am going to try to find a network of contacts somehow. SW PR is very rural and the fishing largely untapped and boat rentals are cheap as is good food and lodging.

Off the east end Culebra has a certain charm and again now that I know where the fish are given the added bonus of migratory tarpon on the beaches I would go back without hesitation. As Pete points out there is an interesting "carribean Nantucket" vibe and people from all over end up there probably because of it's US status (don't even need a passport) etc.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 10-28-2009, 02:07 PM

I fished Vieques 3 years ago. Great island, good food, pretty inexpensive, but not a lot of DIY fishing. There are some flats you can get too but not many. There few spots that are cool in that you can wade at the entrance to lagoons and fish for smalll resident tarpon in the 10-40lb range. there are a few good fly fishing guides on the island. The bigges issue was the wind. In order to get to some of the flats you need to run in the ocean around the island and it was rough going a few mornings due to the wind. Did hook a few bones, had some great permit shots and hooked one tarpon while wading.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.