hooks & reels in carry on luggage - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2009, 05:29 PM

hooks & reels in carry on luggage

Going for tarpon, snook, etc. this week, flying spirit from AC to tampa what is the
rules on hooks & reels w/ line in your carry on?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2009, 01:25 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

It's all in the face you make. If the security personnel is female chat her up no matter how unattractive. If male, talk sports

Seriously, here's what I do - I put enough in my carry on so I am not screwed when I get there if they lose my luggage and check the rest. For some reason when I have a travel rod in a case with reel pocket they just let it thru. Something about the case maybe? So I put a few flies in there too and they didn't look twice at it. Rod, reel, line and flies just in case.

good luck
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 05-05-2009, 05:25 PM

i never have a problem with reel carry ons. on one occasion i accidentally left my fresh water flies in my carry on. they let it go through without any problem. i later learned that for some reason flies are ok for carry on. that said, i always pack my flies in my checked luggage. there is so much discretion given to the inspectors, i don't trust that one of them will prohibit me from bringing them on board in my checked luggage.o
Old 05-05-2009, 06:27 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Tarpon flies in carry-on could be a red flag. Otherwise you should be good to go. If you are going out-of-country, could be an issue returning with reels loaded with backing/line on the return.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:07 AM

Go to the TSA website and search "fishing". Fly reels and flies can be carried on.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:31 AM

Go with Juro's advice. Tim's advice does not take into account that airport security can do whatever they want. There is only one true undeniable undisputable fact when it comes to fly gear and airline carry on.

"SOMETIMES THEY WILL LET IT ON AND SOMETIMES THEY WON'T"

No matter what someone tells you, no matter what you read on the internet, no matter what the TSA says.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:40 AM

Amen to that, Tin Pusher.

Cheers,

Eric
Old 09-04-2009, 05:29 PM
but the scenery's great

Very nice

Juro

Killer advice about the rod/reel/fly combo. I've gotten some moderate hassle about the rod tubes and have been asked once if they are guns. (FYI, don't throw your hands in the air and scream YES!! EVERYONE HIT THE GROUND!!! to try to lighten the mood-not that I did that, but it occured to me). I've been forced to check my rod once and my reels twice (something about a garotte for the line) and luckily, I had plenty of time but if it happened when I was in a hurry, I would be pissed.

Maybe I just look shifty? Might be time to shave the flame-styled sideburns......

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.