Fall is ON!- North Shoah - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-29-2009, 08:23 AM

Fall is ON!- North Shoah

Hey Guys,

Played hooky yesterday with one Grego. Impending storm, cooler air temps, and morning high tide were all culminating in what looked like a winner. We were greeted with one of the best fishing days on my life. In a north shore bay the feed was on at 6:30 as we arrived late to coincide with the turn to the dropping tide. 4" herring were on the buffet menu. The fish were ALL over 24" most 26-27". This year the schoolies are at sub-legal size on the North Shore absolutely. We were catching for 3-4 hours in pop up blitzes. By 10 am the bite was slowing. We were about 2 miles out from the river mouth so we headed in for breakfast after hours of drag sizzling action. As we got into the inner harbor there was a 2-3 acre blitz of mixed blues and stripers and about 10 boats on them. We took up position and caught for another 2 hours! Soon we were almost out of gas. So we called it and headed into the diner for breakfast/lunch.
Sitting in the diner we cooked up a plan to return. A quick call to the wives and we picked up some gas and 2 stroke oil and drove the shore to look and see if it was still going off. It was and all the boats had gone. The blitzes continued through the low tide!
We relaunched and motored up to a cove where it was wall to wall fish and maybe 1 other boat. Our arms were tired but we caught for another solid 2 hours. All of these fish had to go on the reel and took plenty of drag sizzling runs.
We had a couple over 26 and I took home a 10 lb blue. While fighting this blue Grego hooked up with doubles. We were drifting towards a sailboat, I had to fir up the motor and get us out of there. Amazing hilarious snafus all day. At one point our lines got crossed and then we both hooked up. What a mess. Lots of fun and good laughs. With the cold water temps, we may see an early fall this year. Last year in this same area there was no fall run at all. All in all ~9 hours of drag burning, barbless, released unharmed fishing.

Last edited by Lefty; 08-30-2009 at 08:55 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2009, 11:53 AM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Great report and certainly good news! Interesting that you are seeing sub-legal bass on the North Shore. The same was true in May and June on the Cape; however, most reports indicate the schoolies are absent this year. Hope for future years that what You and I observed is not an abnormality.
Old 08-29-2009, 01:40 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Sounds like a great day Terry! One to remember for sure. I know just how you're going to grill that blue too

Jim, I've been finding plenty of small fish in the mix in some areas, but other spots where they are usually prevalent have been almost entirely 18-20# class and up all summer. I originally thought it was nothing but after several weeks I have to agree that at least some populations seem to be missing the 'farm team'.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 08-30-2009, 08:55 AM

Yup, Juro, that's exactly how I grilled it! (We picked up 7 lobsters to go with it...Danvers Seafood $4.99/lb for chicks,$5.99/lb for 1 1/4-1 1/2s).

As for size slots etc., it was either 2 years ago or 3, all we caught up here was 15-18" micros. Zillions of these guys. I am thinking these are the same fish?? What's the growth rate per year? Seems about right. I am always concerned about the stocks crashing. Especially after ZERO fall run last year.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:59 AM

BTW,

Most of these fish were covered with sea lice. They definitely came in for the bait buffet. That suggest that they are either in migration of living offshore. ??
Old 08-31-2009, 01:34 PM

Talking

I was one sore puppy on Saturday. For running in gunning, the bow of Terry's 14' Tin Boat is not the most desirable place to be (or maybe I'm just getting too old for 9+ hours of this?)

What put this in the all time top ten list is the SIZE & DURATION of the surface feed. I cannot recall every being on acre+ surface biltzes for that many hours!

The observation on the negative side is that this did feel A LOT like September 28th fishing NOT August 28th fishing.

However I did see a post on another board about non-stop Shore Action in Southern Maine with fish in the 40-48" class. Maybe the best IS Yet to Come??
Old 08-31-2009, 01:48 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

That sounds like a king's feast! Add some steamers or seared scallops and a cold one and it would be close to seafood heaven!

GregO I hope you're right about that!
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 09-01-2009, 06:30 PM

I'm so happy I checked in and saw this post.
I haven't fished saltwater all season and last Friday at work the weather was absolutely killin me! Felt like a tied up bird dog smelling grouse on the breeze.
Was hoping somebody was out there to confirm what my fish sense was telling me.
Thanks for giving my first [vicarious] blitz of the season.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.