Determining strike. - Fly Fishing Forum
Getting Started The only dumb question is the one not asked

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-28-2009, 10:13 AM

Determining strike.

Hello everyone long time no see. Hope you guy´s fishing has been going swell. Mine ok, could be better!!!!!!!
Here´s the situation: fast moving, deep river, lead colored water (no vegetation, desert mountain river, only fishable on winter, rest of year comes down chocolate). Trout hide and feed in the margins, below rocks. I can only fish it with weighted streamers, and a 10 meter sink tip (rocket type).
To avoid the current making my line strecht and rise, I mend the line downstream when the fly passes me down.
Is this correct? however, mending downstream does not keep my line as tight, feeling strikes is not usual (lots of line sank down plus the 10 feet leader), strike indicators of course useless in this situation, and strange line movements are the common thing ´cause of the current. Plus you can´t see the strike, the water is not very clear, unless you get a trout really close to the margin, but they are usually feeding deep, no dry activitiy, only crabs, small catfish and stone flies below rocks.

any ideas guys on how to determine strikes?? I get the feeling I´m losing lots of strikes just because I can´t read them well in this situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2009, 08:02 AM

some ideas

Hi Jero
I have a couple of ideas that may help with your problem. The first is marking your fly line every two or three feet with a bright colored marker. This might allow you to use the line itself as an indicator.

Next is to try using circle hooks for your flies and keeping the material no more then 1 or 1.5 cm beyond the hook bend. The circle hook may work because the water tension on the line will drive the hook home as the fish returns to its holding position. Trout are notorious about hitting the end of the fly which it the reason for keeping the material short.

The final idea is to use a long rod and keep as much line as possible off the water. This also may involve shorter casts and following your fly while holding the parallel to the water at head height.

I hope this helps

Larry aka Shadfreak
Old 09-07-2009, 02:07 PM

thanks

thanks man, great ideas.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.