Pray for a break!! - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-21-2009, 09:56 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Pray for a break!!

Reports of 20+ foot waves hitting the coast bring a lot of potential for a through-way from the atlantic into the soundside refuge waters, creating a revival of the 'good ol days'. Who knows what will happen but...

http://www.necn.com/keyword/capecod

(edited per updates of weakening)
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum

Last edited by juro; 08-21-2009 at 10:22 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2009, 11:07 AM

Juro.....Garry and I talked aboutthat yesterday....a new break, that stayed open would definetly be prayers answered. There's a nice low spot almost directly in front of the look out bench at Morris....deep water both sides....if it happens I think that is where it will occur.

Ron
Old 08-22-2009, 04:26 AM

Lets hope this is the case. I have yet to fish this year save a short few hours in the head waters of the Hudson river this summer. My arm is improving and I think if I can get it together I may make a sortie down to the cape. Strictly for metal health reasons
I am going to go out Bass fishing Sunday for several hours. We will see how things hold up with my hand gripping strength.
Old 08-22-2009, 07:23 AM
President of CAC

Iplan on heading to the light house later today and early tommorrow morning to have a look. May take at walk on the high ground around the corner but with binocs I maybe able to see all I need from the lookout and the look out at the refuge.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:15 AM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
John, keep us posted on your observations. With the spring tides this weekend and the projected wave heights, something is going to fill in or open up on Nauset/South Beach. Keep safe. See you at the end of the month.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:39 AM

Lots of mid-sized blues at the lighthouse on the ebb, good fun on the fly with a bite tippet and the blackened filet for dinner was primo last night. Off to dig some clams... and maybe pick up a good fluke on the south side flood tide (fingers crossed).

The washline was barely 50 yards from the steps at lighthouse beach this am, so I suspect the big moon tide + shift to east wind + storm waves will at least wash over at the previous "guzzle" location and hopefully a whole lot more.

Maybe a new mecca, changes at big girl, as well as serious bowlage on the outer beaches for awhile and lots of tinker macs are around this summer in the Chatham area.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:48 AM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Juro, after tomorrow's high tide, since you have a license, take a bucket, walk the beaches, and you should have all the scallops you need. Get there before the gulls.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:55 AM

HAHA - yeah except they're illegal to keep until November. Oysters next month though
Old 08-22-2009, 04:21 PM

Stopped at Outermost Harbor about 1:30 PM to check on my boat and one of thier captains told me that the surf was washing over at one of thier regular landing spots and possibly a few other spots. There was heavy fog so I couldn't see any thing from the marina but the surf sounded very loud.

Tried to get a parking spot at the light house but gave up due to the traffic jam. Looked too foggy to see more than a couple of hundred feet anyway.

Then we tried Nauset beach but the parking lot was closed because the surf was running right up to the dunes. Again it was too foggy to see the water from the entrance gate. Will try Naust beach again later.

Dan
Old 08-22-2009, 05:25 PM
President of CAC

Ditto at Cahoons Hollow. My sons and friends went today to hang out at the Beachcomber and they were not allowed on the beach and said the fog was so thick they could see nothing even being that close, high on the bluff. I will head out early tomorrow morn to the refuge and avoid the lighthouse.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:43 AM

CNN, WBZ, etc were camped out at the parking let sending live feed via satellite. Bonehead drivers were doing 10-pt turns in opposite directions blocking passage.

I went out to dig a few quahogs to make some stuffers and the surf sound was tremendous although I couldn't see anything through the fog. I'm going to walk down this afternoon - clearing expected later. Tuesday is supposed to be fantastic so I'll walk down SB with a camera and flyrod and post any interesting pics.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:25 AM

Checked the outer beach out from the overlook at the Refuge and could see at least two wash overs but no sign of any break. But it was still hazey so couldn't tell for sure on the distant one.

Also managed to snag a parking spot at the lighthouse at about 9 AM and although it was still hazey it looks like there was some changes to the bar at the outer end of the inlet.

Parking at the lighthouse was a zoo. Cars were backed up in both directions.

Dan
Old 08-23-2009, 10:59 AM
Middle Aged Member

Storm was pretty much a fizzle here in Dennis. Sun is breaking out and I'm thinking maybe I'll go to work from here in the am rather than an early escape. Took a ride down to Chatham with company late afternoon yesterday. What a zoo at the light. From the refuge the surf sounded pretty awesome.

My guess is it will take a longer duration event ot a direct hit to have a permanent impact along SB.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:11 PM
resigned

Fourteen footers yesterday along the South County beaches. All parking areas mobbed with surfer watchers. Fishing and catching is picking up nicely here.

Phil
Old 08-23-2009, 03:49 PM

Walked a few miles down to see the washovers, but no sign of breaks. Not even sure if the washovers will 'guzzle' on subsequent tides but one can only hope.

Epic scenery though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.