Weekend Report - Elbow - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2009, 08:30 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Weekend Report - Elbow

First pea bunker seen on southside estuaries this weekend. I haven't seen the usual shoals of silversides this year, but it could just be me. Much more of a sand eel year. Lots of baby flounder this year. Shrimp are plentiful as usual. Lots of seaworms as well.

Fish are definitely around, but not a lot of schoolies compared to the typical year as others have mentioned. I originally thought that it was unwarranted concern, but I am beginning to think this is true on the bayside especially. I don't mind a lack of schoolies selfishly speaking but not if it's going to affect upcoming year classes. South side around the refuge still seems to have plenty of schoolies and some nice big blues in close to shore. I haven't been venturing to the west much this season but will as the migration starts.

It's become that time of year when packs of really good fish are tightly locked into their feeding patterns and scorning even the bait guys who have been very successful up until this weekend. A conversation with a sand eel raker went like this:

"anything happening?" (obviously not)

"when I am raking eels and they are eating the ones that fall off, but I put one on a hook and rub it on their snouts and they won't eat it you know they're on to you"

It's amazing how clever a striper can get with a little training! During the vertical sun hours the 'resident' fish get incredibly wary. But it's also the most exciting time cause you can see them plain as day. The best approach for me has been to ignore them after a fair try and find transient hunting fish nearby, or go find a completely different situation elsewhere. I have however found a couple of techniques that led to hook-ups as a result of toughing it out even when the fresh bait guys are getting skunked that I'm glad to have in the quiver for future.

It's also funny how some fish get dialed into the sand eels, and others are feasting in open water on the young of the year herring fry. The two seem to be totally segregated in their actions, but the herring eaters still crush a deep eel so I know they are not entirely picky just using a different bait-coraling method hunting in packs to round up the fast moving herring.

I'm glad for clams, they are a lot worse and getting away BTW - not sure if you heard this but the softshell clam is practically non-existent on the cape this year! Scary.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum

Last edited by juro; 08-11-2009 at 08:43 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.