Baby flounder - macro image for pattern design - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2009, 02:03 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Baby flounder - macro image for pattern design

Here's another...

and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2009, 02:06 PM
PhlyPhishing Physician

Believe the mayor already has a killer pattern for this one....
Flydoc
Old 08-07-2009, 02:53 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

He first learned of the technique of simulating baby flounder and crabs with flat epoxy poured over feather at a certain presentation in a North Andover flyfishing club's monthly meeting, and brought it to a whole new level that made waves in flyfishing circles bigger than the landing splashes of these patterns.

The only controversy was that since he was sleeping in his chair at the meeting it was questionable whether it was an act of friendly plagiarism (the ultimate praise) or inspiration from a midsummer night's dream
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 08-07-2009, 04:07 PM
Jonesin...

In my experience Skok's Pheasant Flounder or Caolo's adapted merkin are both killer imitations. Skok's lands like a feather on a pillow and sinks like a rock. Caolo's tends to make a slightly bigger splash in larger sizes but sometimes in windier conditions I think that is a good thing. Its also easier to size to match the hatch when they get on the micros and then it does the feather thing. Masahito also has a great version.

Sean
Old 08-11-2009, 01:11 AM

Skok's pheasant works!

Grow large young fluke.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:30 AM
President of CAC

HHHHHMMMM. My recollection is a bit different. I don't remember being at a presentation in north Andover except when I spoke to a group which I recall was the NE saltrodders or similar name and it was on Monomoy. The crab apple was already being used by me before that and the feather pour over which came to me after looking at the pheasant feathers and wanting to stop putting dots on foam or other rubber material with a magic marker. I also saw a feather application on some flies from Veverkas book I think...but not crabs. Finally, The splash factor is not a factor for me anymore than the deep eel clouser head splashes. When Dick Brown took the crab apple to the Bahamas he told me that it was indeed too splashy for Bonefish.....but for me ,not so for stripers. The splash factor is overrated for striper fishing...atleast from my own humble point of view. The first flounder fly I saw that was a great imitation was from the guy who has demonstrated rifle casting big flies at shows...I forget his name for the moment ( I think Mark Sedotti), and it was done with buck tail splayed out in the shape of a flounder .A very prolific tyer . After the Flounder fly that I tied based on the crab apple and using turkey bots as the body which closely resembles the pic above, Gartside and Skok developed their flounder fly. Gartside , from my recollection never had a flounder fly in his fly displays at shows or his books at that time. Eash tyed them using their particular styles. This was after my flounder appeared in "Flyfishing New England". Anyway, That is my recollection and I never plagerized that pattern. I never saw any crab pattern prior to the CA which used epoxy as a coating over feathers and no one ever came forward saying I did. I have only three flies which I like to think are from my thinking. The Crab Apple, The Flounder Around and the Feather Brain bait fish which was published in "Flyfishing In Saltwaters". The crab Apple was published in "Fly Tyer" magazine. Even Bob Popovics stated that the application of the shingle technique was unique for the bait fish. That the story and I am sticking to it and the written history on this is clear from this site and many others
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tffa.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	6922  

Last edited by striblue; 08-13-2009 at 08:55 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.