Feast of the senses - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-21-2009, 09:24 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Feast of the senses

Night fishing has been interesting and productive but sight fishing is a feast for the senses. I'm glad there's both but the more I fish in the dark the more I miss daylit flats. I guess I'm getting set in my ways.

One of several good flats fish from the other day
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2009, 04:52 AM

I agree , nighttime is not for me. It's like fishing in a closet. Yeah, you'll catch bigger fish ,after all stripers are nocturnal . But when the birds are diving, fish are busting and it's a Caribbean type of day on Cape Cod I'll take the day time on the Flats.
FishHawk
Old 07-22-2009, 10:12 AM
2hand canal ,conventional

Thumbs up Enjoy both worlds.

It's tough to beat the sight of a cow on the flats slowly cruising in a serpentine side to side food search in a little over a foot of water on a path that gives you the perfect presentation. There's also the rush of going blind in an area where the big girls are known to visit in the dark, the anticipation of a strike in every cast will keep you on your toes.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:14 PM
LBFF Mojo

I dunno, you only really use one sense during the day. You get to use them all at night.

When I get my boat I guess day will hold some appeal but I like not relying on just your eyes. Makes me feel more alive out there.

-sean
Old 07-23-2009, 04:08 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I agree with Sean's point; I feel like I am fishing more with "spidey" senses at night and notice the nuances of how a fish takes the fly much more without the visuals where I tend to look for the gill flare and set on any tension. I act/react on what I see and don't think about the way they feel while sight fishing, but at night it's like I can feel when they miss.

I had a 'sight' fishing night recently on a FAC flood tide moonlit night when they're leaving wakes along the shoreline. A popper is a blast fished s-l-o-w. You can see their interest by their wakes. Maybe it's the foam but I did notice they miss a lot at night. I had a huge popper on and after a big slurping miss I set the hook on nothing making a pop that was heard in Nantucket I'm sure! Surprised the crap out of me

I've had success on really big bass around fall bunker at night with big patterns, looking forward to that again this October except that it signals the end of the season. My advice to those who aren't maximizing their time on the water... get out there it'll be over before you know it!

Paul hit it on the head, enjoy 'em both. They each have appeal and it's nice of them to be active both day and night.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.