Stanley - Fly Fishing Forum
Classic Atlantic Salmon No pursuit rivals salmon rivers, flies & legacy

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-17-2009, 05:18 PM
Venture

Send a message via ICQ to Venture
Stanley

Just had as great a ride back up route 299 to my place in St Rene. Had some great fishing out of New Richmond. Caught some very nice fish.

But the highlight of this little excursion was meeting the man himself, Stanley Bogden, while he casted to a rising salmon on the Grand Cascapedia. We hit it off right away. I learned of his life, his business, his branding, his customers, and his love for salmon. At 90 years young, his persona was that of a young man or even perhaps a child, such joi de vivre.

Surprisingly we have many common friends who he speaks very fondly of. He also introduced me to his best friend who fishes with him everywhere. They are going from the GC to the Alta, and then to Scotland where he said with a chuckle, "Prince Charles fishes there!" With the same chuckle, he commented that his friend who was fishing with him was out a cool 100 million over his life time because of all the places he takes Stanley for free......the little guy from New Hampshire. I told Stan that his friend gets more than his moneys worth.

There is always something that you can learn form such and interesting, honest and most of all humble guy man of his age. It was an absolute pleasure spending some time with such a man. The greatest aspect of his reels are that they made him who he is. What a great guy. Here's to Stanley, an Amercan Dream.
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2009, 01:44 AM

good morning,

i met him 2 years ago at the grand C, he is great. he signt me his book and i was listening his storys.
i can understand you.

chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2009, 02:03 PM

Mr. Bogdan

Stanley Bogdan is a very dear friend who fishes with us every year. It is during his stay with us that you met up with him on the river. He is such a gentleman and a gentle soul. All the guides and the girls at the lodge cater to Stanley and they all dote on him.

I hope that you had the opportunity to watch him cast; it is breathtaking. It is literally poetry in motion. He casts with an old Fenwick and of course a Bogdan reel.

The next time you run into him, ask him about his namesake.....my Jack Russell Terrier that some of his buddies named after him, "Stanley"! He pretends that he is offended that the "vicious" dog is named after him, but we all know that he secretly is delighted.

I consider it an honor that Stanley fishes with us several times a year over the past 6 - 7 seasons. Actually, the biggest fish he has ever caught on the Grand Cascapedia was with my son Quentin at Alder Island. The picture is featured in Stanley's book and he actually keeps a copy of the picture in his wallet, which he will whip out a moment's notice and delight you with his story on how he caught the fish!

We love him to death!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.