cape cod striper blues - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-15-2009, 09:34 PM
*** FORUM SPONSOR ***

Location: Western New York Steelhead, Bahamas Bonefish, Wild Western Trout
cape cod striper blues

Made my first trip to fish for stripers in Cape Cod. Having never fished for them and having wanted to for many years, I was excited to go. I flew to Boston and caught the cape air shuttle to Hyannis. My friend and CCO trip host Dan Pangaldi and his friend Jeff Mcmahon picked me up in Hyannis and we traveled to our inn located in West Harwich. I am jealous of all you guys that get to fish there often--it's a magical place for sure, and I only scratched the surface.

We fished out of Provincetown three days because the bite was hot and the stripers large. The first day was the best fishing day for numbers and size. I caught two 17 lb fish and several between 10-16 lbs on sand eel imitations. Basically olive and white clousers, heavily weighted. This is tough fishing-full sinking lines and strong fish brought up from the deep. The amount of sand eels off of the area around Race Roint was staggering. Diving birds everywhere and plenty of busting stripers and blue fish. We also got into a hot topwater bite 2 evenings—it’s pretty awesome to see 10-20 lb fish busting a gurgler!

Out of P-town we also saw a school of bluefin tuna busting bait but they were moving too fast for us. Plus we did not have the gear needed for 100+ lb tuna. We also saw 2 huge 20+ foot basking sharks at close range-very cool. Plenty of
birds and a few seals there too.

The last two days we spent fishing the flats in Monomoy and Barnstable. Unfortunately the weather did not cooperate and we had heavy clouds and some rain which made sight fishing tough. Still we caught fish on the flats and I saw the potential of Momomoy for incredible flats fishing. When the sun did pop out briefly one day, the flats lit up like those in the Bahamas--with beautiful colors and hard packed sand. With sunny weather we would have seen so many more fish. It's a beautiful area with great wading opportunities and plenty of fish. One evening we were sight fishing the flats at 6pm under heavy clouds! We set up on the outside of a creek channel to intercept the fish coming out on a falling tide. We could barely make out the schools coming at us but were able to land a couple in the failing light. And best of all no one was around.

What a great trip! Great fishing, great seafood dinners and time spent sipping cold ones with good friends talking about fishing.
God does not deduct from man's alloted time the hours spent fishing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2009, 09:49 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Hey great report and next time make sure we hook up when you're in town!

That release shot is arguably the best photo of a bright spring deep-water striper I have ever seen. Very nice pic.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 06-16-2009, 08:56 AM

Nice report . I like the underwater shot. You have got the fishery dialed in .
FishHawk.

Last edited by FishHawk; 06-16-2009 at 11:01 AM.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:14 AM
In moderation

Nice report and pics Vince!!

I first went to the Cape a couple of years ago and it has now become a regular thing for me.

I go back on Saturday.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:18 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Many new arrivals since you were here last Pete; bait thick enough to darken the flats and big smart fat fish raiding them coupled with the best possible tides - hope for mild winds and bright skies.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 06-17-2009, 07:37 PM
*** FORUM SPONSOR ***

Location: Western New York Steelhead, Bahamas Bonefish, Wild Western Trout
Thanks guys!

I will call you next time I am on the cape Juro.

have a great summer out there.
God does not deduct from man's alloted time the hours spent fishing.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:11 AM
Squire animal

Well done Vince, P-Town sounded great and I can't believe that I've still not managed to fish up there yet after spending more than 40 days on the Cape over the past five years!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.