Saltwater License for CT - its official!!! - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2009, 06:54 AM
Flats Rat

Saltwater License for CT - its official!!!

Begining Monday next week, a saltwater license becomes mandatory in CT. The following message has appeared on a number of other sites.

It has passed both houses and as of this morning it is sitting on the Governors desk awaiting her signature. It takes effect on Monday June 15th, 2009. The fee is $10 for residents and $15 for nonresidents, anglers over 65 get a free lifetime license. It will be reciprocal with bordering states if they agree to honor our licenses.
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2009, 08:06 AM

I know there has been some grumbling about saltwater licenses but overall I think it is a good move and will lend a louder voice to recreational anglers and their conservation concerns.

As it goes, there is no free lunch!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2009, 11:53 AM
resigned

Here's the interesting part. All this in the name of getting an accurate count of the recreational fisherman in the state. Look what I read from a friend. Phil

If the purpose of the saltwater license is to give the feds an accurate count of recreational anglers, then it should be reciprocal with ALL other states.

If it is not, whenever someone buys a non-resident license in say, Massachusetts,as many of us do, they will be counted twice.

The data gathered will still be suspect and will show far more recreational anglers than there actually are.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:16 PM

Well I hope the moneys go into saltwater fisheries and not the general fund like the non-resident freshwater license does. But I think this is just wishful thinking.
FishHawk
Old 06-12-2009, 05:42 AM
Flats Rat

Seems that New York has also voted in favor of this.

The issue with CT is that as Midnight Sunday you will need a license to fish CT maritime waters and yet, at this time, I can't find anywhere to buy one.

The DEP website still says you don't need one!

****** Update *******

Apparently you can get the license from the DEP website! It just doesn't mention it anywhere until you register in the online system - then it gives you the $10 marine license option - I'll check it out when I get back to CT Monday.

Glad I'm fishing the Cape this w/e

Last edited by Adrian; 06-12-2009 at 06:11 AM.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:55 AM
LBFF Mojo

RI is close as well. Looks like it will be $7 for residents and $10 for non. Bill has not passed but the way it is written RI will honor any other states license so CT guys only need to have one license. And it looks like in that case CT will honors ours.

$7 is a small price to pay to enjoy one of the greatest fisheries left in the world. Hopefully getting a good view on the amount of recreational guys fishing we can then apply some pressure to reduce limits as we are killing too many fish.

-sean
Old 06-12-2009, 11:04 AM

Does anyone else find it odd that states are not charging the same amount even though they plan to reciprocate? Especially if you can buy a license on line.
Old 06-12-2009, 05:42 PM
_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gseries69
Does anyone else find it odd that states are not charging the same amount even though they plan to reciprocate? Especially if you can buy a license on line.
It's about as odd as having different size and bag limits from state to state .

I don't care if I have to pay $7 or $10 or $20, as long as I can buy a single license to fish in MA, CT and RI.

Q
Old 06-12-2009, 05:58 PM
resigned

http://www.ct.http://www.chttp://wwh...epNav_GID=1630

I found it and it says the saltwater license is temporarily unavailable. Check back periodically. The Gov. has not officially signed it into law yet but will. Onje can be obtained at the town hall with a simple swipe of your trout license.

Phil
Old 06-13-2009, 08:36 PM
Flats Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonefishmon
http://www.ct.http://www.chttp://wwh...epNav_GID=1630

I found it and it says the saltwater license is temporarily unavailable. Check back periodically. The Gov. has not officially signed it into law yet but will. Onje can be obtained at the town hall with a simple swipe of your trout license.

Phil
Thanks Phil - that's good to know.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.