2009 Clave has came & gone - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2009, 08:06 AM

2009 Clave has came & gone

Many thanks to Juro and Dave for the housing, very nice !! and good housemates...Dave, Pete and Bill.

Maine Boys

Day 1: Weather was sucky...water cold..fish all moved out of the flats. Only one fish was caught

Day 2: Caught a bunch of mid 20s

A 26"

We fished HARD!!! up at 5.00am...coffee & donuts and done at 9.00pm...no lunch

Striper Angels making dreams come true

Dreams do come true...a 28 incher

A 30 incher

A good three days with Al & Tim came to an end...Thanks for a memorable trip!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2009, 09:11 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Thumbs up

You guys are HARDCORE!!! Great to see that it paid off for you.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 06-01-2009, 09:28 AM
Middle Aged Member

Looking at those fish apparently I didn't get the memo.

Thanks to Dave and company for hosting the get together. Only regret is that I didn't just sample the "Three Barrel".
Old 06-01-2009, 10:11 AM
Flats Rat

Same for me Fred - I spent the week-end zigging when I should have been zagging

I'm really sorry I missed the shin-dig Saturday night - its a long story involving female (suspected) kayakers jamming me in on the causeway - but I'm glad everyone had a good time.

I did manage to hook up with the Canal/Spey gang on Friday and I think everyone hooked up which is probably a first for the Friday bash
Old 06-02-2009, 09:32 AM
President of CAC

Nice to see everyone at the dinner and nice to fish with the Brewster flats crew on the flats.... Saw Rooster catch a keeper, but things were slow on the day I went.Thanks JimS and his buddy Bob for the ride and a special thanks to Dave for hosting the dinner and to Petevicars for his hospitality and that Punch Cuban cigar. Great to finally meet Pete and Jim Miller. The venison stew was great as I was able to get just the last bit of it. I forgot who brought that. The joking and memmories of past get togethers was a great time. FishHawk actually fished the next day and the Squire will never be the same according to reports from my sons who were there with a number of clavers. Thats all I am saying to avoid a risk of any law suits.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:45 PM

A great time as usual. Good to see Todd and Jim Miller and tell them about the secret parking spot for the lighthouse. There is one even closer where you guys parked.
Of course we had to have a wee dram at the FishHawk's CAC II Paul Cheever was in good form after that .
Thanks to Pete Vicker for the fine Cuban cigars. A it was good to see Adrian and Sean Ransom at the PM Spey Clave. Sean is a master with the two handed rod as witnessed by all who attended the Spey Day.
Great to see Bob and Jim Simms and talk over strategy.
Guernseybass we didn't get to fish together buy we will soon.
Missed Drew who was under the weather and did not attend the Clave but it was good to see Chris.
Lastely is my buddy Craig who has invented a new fly that has replaced the Deep Eel. It's the Toulene Smoke aka the Brown Stiffy. It entices the bass to take when other flies fail. That's all I'm going to say about this fly.
FishHawk
Old 06-02-2009, 04:52 PM
fish'n Hobo

Was great to put faces to the names I've known for years!
Thanks to all the Cape Cod sharpies (you know who you are) for putting us mountain folk in the right spots!
Craig..... what a super spot! But, I will bring an ATV next time

Pec54... you are right .... ain't no fish in that MUDHOLE! MUMMMMMMM!

Fish Hawk.... I'm going to log that parking spot into the GPS!!! He HE
You know..... I'll trade architectural advice for lodging and good company!!!!! YOU are an Owner!!!!!!!! I'm also a pretty good carpenter!

Juro. .. you're advice was spot on! Thanks mucho!!!!! Thanks for hosting the BBQ.

StriBlue.... nice to meet up finally .... now we gotta fish sometime! (ps. keep your shirt on.... to everyones benefit. )

Todd & the Dudleys.... great time & good company..... when we going again?

All in all...... a great time w/ a great bunch of guys
Old 06-02-2009, 09:48 PM

As usual a great time. Good to see old friends and meet new folks as well. Boy did we get our exercise! It's funny how each year is so different: this year we caught a few, but saw 10 fish for every one we cast to and 50 for every one we caught. I got a side by side lesson in the value of the peddle kayaks when fishing for the fast moving migrators under a bit of chop. I was rarely able to put down the paddle, pick up the rod and cast fast enough. Jotham, 100 feet away, with his peddle kayak and rod in hand had much better success.

Thanks to all that made this another great clave.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:45 AM

This was my second year and although I wasn't able to make it to the BBQ met some great folks at the spey clave. Next year a room in Chatham will be a definite so I can attend the BBQ and the Squire.

Thanks again to Paul and Sean for their help setting up my 2hander and the lessons on the C roll and Dbl spey. I'll be back down again this weekend if anyone would like some company.

Todd, Jim,

That was amazing Sunday morning. Lots of fish but boy were they tough to see in that chop until they were almost on top of us. Having the rod in hand I think was a must under those conditoins and the pedal yaks I think was the advantage needed for sight fishing in that current save an anchored boat.

Hope to meet more of you as the season progresses.

Sorry I missed the Maine crew, Kim, Alan. Hopefully see you in Maine soon.

Joe (Jotham)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.