Basser is gone. - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-25-2009, 05:58 AM

Basser is gone.

The Passing of JFBasser

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All,

I want you all to know that my father passed away at 1:20 this morning. He fought up until the end which we knew he would do. He came home for a few days to boss us around and get some stuff done and then he finally let go Sunday morning when he decided to come to the emergency room. They put him on morphine around 11 am on Sunday and he slept peacefully with no pain or discomfort until the end. If my father talked to any of you about this, it is exactly what he wanted and that gives us peace. Thank you all for all the support you have given him and my family through this difficult time. The leukemia case that my father had was an extremely tough one to fight and he sure gave it his best shot (and really irritated some nurses in the meantime).

Kim & Family

Sad news , Basser was a colorful angler. The announcement was posted on www. stripersonline.com FishHawk

Last edited by FishHawk; 05-25-2009 at 08:12 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2009, 07:09 AM
fish'n Hobo

A sad day indeed.
Condolences to Friends and Family
Old 05-25-2009, 07:17 AM

I wish to express my condolences to you and your family. I met your father sveral times fishing and enjoyed talking with him. He'll be sorely missed. rel1
Old 05-25-2009, 08:50 AM
Flats Rat

It just won't be the same at the big ditch this Friday.

But every time I cross that bridge, John will be watching ........
Old 05-25-2009, 09:39 AM
In moderation

I am very sorry to hear about that.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:19 AM
6th Year Apprentice

Terrible news Bill.

My thoughts go out to his family and those of you that had the honour of calling John a friend.

I remember sharing a pint or two of Bass with him at the Bearsden lunch in February, so I'll raise a pint of Bass Ale in his honour on Friday Night at the Squire.

RIP John.

Mark.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:38 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Sad news indeed - glad to have shared many a gut-felt laugh with the Basser. Let's dedicate this clave to JF.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 05-25-2009, 02:10 PM
resigned

So Long John

I spoke with John few weeks ago with the intentions of fishing somewhere close to the truck. He said it would be great fun to cast a plug and get one more keeper. He called me to make these plans while I was crossing the Sagamore bridge leaving the Cape. How appropriate! Right over the canal I was! I was so captivated by our conversation that I didn't make the turn for Rt. 24 to Providence and ended up at exit 5 in Plymouth before I realized I was going the wrong way. We made plans to fish together soon but not soon enough.

My favorite recollection of John was watching him land an Albie while on foot during the Boneclave. He laughed as everyone assigned to boats motored by and he said " Where you going? The tuna are right here!" He managed a few more before the tide turned. I was there and watched. I came up empty. He laughed while I was chasing the tuna. "You trying to catch up with them? Good Luck!" John had the best sense of humor of all the fishermen I've gotten to know over the years. Certainly missed but never forgotten. "Phil, is that your rod Capt. Slinger caught that keeper bass with after you handed it to him?" Goodbye John and God bless you for all the memories.

Phil
Old 05-25-2009, 04:11 PM

Damn! One of the truly good guys has left the beach. My condolences to the family, and I second Juro's dedication suggestion.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:24 AM
LBFF Mojo

Wow. Was out fishing tonight and my friend told me the news. A keeper a few casts later and I could not shake the feeling John had something to do about it. I will really miss him and the ditch clave will not be the same without him. A great man.

-sean
Old 05-26-2009, 08:20 AM
Middle Aged Member

Visiting hours will be on Thursday, May 28th, 2009 from 5:00-8:00 PM at Dahlborg-MacNevin Funeral Home, 280 Bedford St., (Rt. 18) Lakeville, MA.

A funeral service will begin at 9:00 am on Friday May 29th in the Dahlborg-MacNevin Funeral Home, 280 Bedford St., (Rt. 18) Lakeville, MA, followed by a 10:00 am mass at St. John Neumann Church, 157 Middleboro Road, East Freetown, MA 02717
Old 05-26-2009, 08:34 AM
Middle Aged Member

Parting Shots…

John was an irascible, opinionated pain in the a$$. He could be funny and at times hilarious.

John was also, quietly, generous and a doer of good deeds.

He was a man of reason, intellectual curiosity and intellectually honest. As such, he could seamlessly modify his opinions without apology.

He was a good friend and will be missed.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:56 AM

My thoughts & prayers go to the family. Sorry to hear about the loss of an East Coast Buddy!
Old 05-27-2009, 05:49 AM
Middle Aged Member

John T. Furze, Jr., 61, passed away Monday, May 25th, 2009 at Brigham & Women’s Hospital in Boston following a fourteen month battle with leukemia.

He was born in Fall River, residing in East Freetown for the last 31 years. He was the husband of Sandra M. (Smith) Furze and the son of the late John T. Furze, Sr. and Sophie M. (Ciepiela) Furze of Fall River, MA.

He was educated at Holy Cross Grammar School and graduated from Durfee High School in Fall River. He earned his BA in Electrical Engineering from UMASS Dartmouth and his Masters Degree in Electrical Engineering from Northeastern University.

He began his employment at Raytheon, in Waltham in 1969. In 1977 John joined the Charles Stark Draper Laboratory in Cambridge, MA. He became disabled in April of 2008, but continued to contribute to a few Draper Laboratory programs on a limited basis. Over his career he had increasing levels of responsibility at Draper Lab. His last position was Senior Program Manager for Navigation & Tracking in the Special Operations Directorate. He recently received the Director’s Award for Special Achievement from the U.S. Government.

John was an avid fisherman of both salt and fresh water and truly enjoyed teaching his grandchildren how to fish. He was a member of the Rod Jockey’s and the Stan Gibbs Cape Cod Canal Fisherman’s Classic.

In addition to his wife and mother, he is survived by his two daughters: Erika M. Vincent and her husband Dave of Lakeville, MA and Kimberly A. Durand and her husband David of Warwick, RI as well as his two grandchildren: Abigail and Ryan Vincent. He also leaves several aunts, cousins, nieces and nephews.

A funeral service will begin at 9:00 am on Friday May 29th in the Dahlborg-MacNevin Funeral Home, 280 Bedford St., (Rt. 18) Lakeville, MA, followed by a 10:00 am mass at St. John Neumann Church, 157 Middleboro Road, East Freetown, MA 02717.

Interment will follow in Sacred Heart Cemetery, New Bedford, MA.

Visiting hours will be on Thursday, May 28th, 2009 from 5:00-8:00 PM.

Memorial gifts may be made to: Dana Farber Cancer Institute, 44 Binney Street, Boston, MA 02115.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:02 PM
Fly chucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredA

John was an irascible, opinionated pain in the a$$. He could be funny and at times hilarious.

John was also, quietly, generous and a doer of good deeds.

He was a man of reason, intellectual curiosity and intellectually honest. As such, he could seamlessly modify his opinions without apology.
I agree on all points, Fred. I regret that I hadn't fished with him for a few years.

Now he is pain free, with an endless cycle of tides to fish. Godspeed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.