I have not been around much..... - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-17-2009, 09:45 AM

I have not been around much.....

.......However I have been thinking of fishing if that counts. I have been busy with work as the repair business is pretty steady right now. How long it stays that way is anyone's guess. My wife lost her job of twenty years & things have been tight here so no extra curricular trips to the Coast or Cape have been made. Wifey landed a new job a few weeks back & we are getting back on course thankfully. I also have some trouble with my right arm( casting arm) and I am going to the doctor Monday to see about that as well.

I cannot hold onto things all that well & fingers are numb. My right arm also hurts from my elbows to my hand.
Maybe Tendinitis, carpel tunnel or something else all together, I am not sure at all. Last year I had to have both elbows drained due to Brucitis (sp?) So I am taking it real easy as far as swinging hammers & fly rods. I have not cast a line yet this year. But pending on what the Doctor says I may or may not be in Chatham fishing in two weeks. I Still plan on coming down if I can with Camera and Bottle of Scotch if I cannot fish.

I am off to Kansas for a antique tractor meet this week and will be gone over the Holiday weekend. (thank God for cheep air fair, I love Southwest!).

Hopefully I will see you all at the spring clave. It is still the 30-31st right?
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2009, 10:38 AM
PhlyPhishing Physician

Warren- sounds like either carpal tunnel or ulnar ("funny bone") tunnel sydrome, or a combo of both. Hope you recover in time for the clave- I'll be in touch!
Flydoc
Old 05-17-2009, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flydoc
Warren- sounds like either carpal tunnel or ulnar ("funny bone") tunnel sydrome, or a combo of both. Hope you recover in time for the clave- I'll be in touch!
Flydoc

I dunno what I got Doc, but I figure ifin I treat it with Single Malt I can get through the event and then worry about it
Old 05-17-2009, 01:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to highway61
Sounds like carpal tunnel

Hey Warren......I had surgery for carpal tunnel 4 years ago. The symptoms you describe sounds like same ones I had - tingling in the tips of the finger, achy wrist, weak grip, and the pain/tingling radiating up in to the shoulder. If it is, the surgery is a 20 minute procedure. However, it may take several weeks at least for it to heal. I had the surgery done before Christmas so it would not interfere with fishing. However, the wife did not appreciate me being laid up when there was so much to be done.

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2009, 01:29 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Hey Warren, if the injury persists, a 2hander could be a recourse. It could reduce a lot of stress on your right arm.

See you at the clave, and hope they have a solution for you.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:58 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Sorry to hear about the arm Warren... take care of it for the long run buddy one season is nothing in the scope of things.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 05-19-2009, 10:38 AM
mike oliver

Hi Warren got to agree with Juro on this one. I too have not been on the forum much due to some mental health problems. Looks like I am over that now and despearate to get over to the Cape. Trouble is I am stuck May and june because of job (Joke) and hospital appoitments. July and Aug I am told suck so it's early Septemeber for me if at all.

Not sure what the other Brits are doing this year. The irony is the cost of travel is way down at 247 for a return flight from Heathrow to JFK. Trouble is too many of us are out of work or scared of spending any money in case we too get the chop.

Let that arm heal up it will be a great future investment I think. Any chance you can learn to cast LH.

Cheers

Mike
Old 05-19-2009, 01:03 PM
Rupe

Steve and I have just booked our flights Mike - we land on Wednesday 10th June for 7 days. Shame your not about.

The current catch reports are certainly getting the juices flowing - hopefully get in amongst a few of them.

I hope to catch up with you guys in the Squire. I'll make sure I chaperone Steve and keep him in line.

I wonder if he'll get another of those thingys growing on his chin??

(He'll love me for bringing that up again...)
Old 05-19-2009, 02:03 PM
Squire animal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupe
Steve and I have just booked our flights Mike - we land on Wednesday 10th June for 7 days. Shame your not about.

The current catch reports are certainly getting the juices flowing - hopefully get in amongst a few of them.

I hope to catch up with you guys in the Squire. I'll make sure I chaperone Steve and keep him in line.I wonder if he'll get another of those thingys growing on his chin??

(He'll love me for bringing that up again...)

Dude, many have tried... I'm not the Squire Animal for nothing!
Hey Juro, better wear your flats boots out on Saturday night!
Old 05-19-2009, 04:56 PM

Ah to tip a few wee drams with the Brits. Glad you guys are visiting the colonies. FishHawk
Old 05-19-2009, 08:32 PM
Flats Rat

Looking forward to wetting a line and knocking back a few with the lads from the "Old Country".

P.S Warren - sorry to hear about the injury. Dont forget there will be a bunch of us with two handers on the Canal on Friday 29th if you can make it.

Lots of rigs to try out to at least give you a "feel" for the rig. Hope to see you there or at least catch up over the w/e.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:34 AM
mike oliver

Rupe, Thanks for rubbing it in. I have to see an eye specialst on the 11th and 15 th June. I have a shitty business meeting which is just bollocks anyway on the 26th May so that knocks out good spring tides. May and June are out and July and Aug is for the Tourist proper. In short I am stuffed good and proper. Don't know how you and Steve can stand just going for 7 days 14 is hardly enough. You have paid for the flight why not stay longer. Hope you have a great time. will you bump into Tubby Oz.

Mike
Old 05-20-2009, 08:54 AM
Squire animal

7 days is better than not going though, eh Mike?

I could have stayed a while longer but Rupe's dates were specific plus if I stay too long the dreaded 'chin' might reappear!
Old 05-20-2009, 11:37 AM

Thanks for the well wishes guys. My doctor has confirmed it. Carpal Tunnel. Bummer. But such is life. We are going to try stretching & sleeping with a splint for a month to see how that works, and then go from there.

Adrian, I'll see if I can make the Canal Friday night. I will return from my trip in a week and see where I stand then. I have yet to dig out my gear. But I planned on coming down Friday night regardless.

I am looking forward to seeing you all soon.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to highway61
Bummer

Hi Warren,

I just read your post about having carpal tunnel. Believe me, I know what you are going through. It is common medical practice to be conservative and not do surgery right away. In my case, the splint didn't help at all. I finally got fed up and demanded surgery. I am not dispencing medical advice mind you, except to say that a couple of shots of whiskey might help!!! Hope you feel better soon.

Steve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.