Grand Bahamas Bonefish Report - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-14-2009, 09:20 PM

Grand Bahamas Bonefish Report

Hello Board,
I finally had my chance on the bow at the beginning of May for 3 days of guided fishing. Thanks to everyone who has helped with recommendations and input.

The weather was pretty windy, but lots of sunshine. I fished the east end exclusively and caught a lot of fish and had a great time. I shared a boat with my dad and we averaged about 10 fish a day between the two of us. Fish were a pretty good size with about a 5 lbs average with a few bigger, a few smaller.

The wind made it pretty tough to see as well as i would have liked. I would say it was blowing 10 on average. I understand from the guides that normal for this time of year is much more calm. I'd be interested to know thoughts on wind from some of you bonefish vets.

Our first two days we fished out of McLeans town. We waded for half a day the first day and this is how i caught my first bone. we got back on the boat and caught several more. While heading in, we saw a bunch of bones spawning in a creek and were able to catch a few that way, too, which was fun and interesting. I also saw about a 40lbs tarpon there, but wasn't rigged for one.

The second day i was a little more dialed in to the fish, although it was still windy, and we caught about 10 for the day.

THe last day we fished the east end, but on the north side. the day started off with the guide taking us on a 20 minute boat ride to the flat. he was heading straight for dry land and i kept thinking he was going to either kill the engine or turn the boat, but he ran us aground. I rolled my eyes thinking this was going to be a long day. 10 minutes later, once the boat was free, the guide was polling and i was in to my first fish. we ended up having a great day on the flats. by my third and last day, i could see a lot more fish.

a few takeaways. I definitely blew more fish than i thought i would. the wind had a lot to do with this. i had really practiced my casting before going and was pretty dialed in. however, i had a tough time in the 15 mph winds. i also learned that store bought leaders are easier. i tied a bunch of my own before going, but my first leader had a bum knot and that shot my confidence in them so i switched and it was easier that way.

here's one tip that really helped that i haven't seen before so here goes. chew gum on the casting deck. it helped to slow down my casting stroke and keep my nerves in check. so there you go.

grand bahamas is great because you can stay in a decent hotel and still get an out island feel by going to the east end of the island.

all in all it was a great trip and i can't wait to go back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2009, 06:35 AM
In moderation

Hey JT
Thanks for the report.
Looks like you had a great time. Any pics?
Which guide did you fish with?

Pete
Old 05-15-2009, 12:54 PM

JTWG, you actually hit the wind just right. Northeast Grand is notorious for being a wind tunnel. In march and april it blew 25-40 consistently for weeks. In six days on the water I only had an hour window, after a storm, where the wind was down completely.

I had a buddy who went bonefishing for the first time this year and my advice to him was to forget about the 90' cast. We took him out on the windiest couple of days to practice. He threw inside 40'-50' upwind and across wind for hours practicing hitting a dinner plate. Those fish have a knack for offering fleeting shots right into the teeth of the wind . He agreed that was the perfect way to prep for the trip.
Old 05-16-2009, 01:57 PM

Pete, i'm trying to upload some pictures, but this seems impossible. will keep trying.

I fished with Capt. Perry Demeritte and with a guide from North Riding Point. They were both top notch.

Thanks too Pete for all your help and advice. It's much appreciated.
Old 06-06-2009, 04:45 PM

From a guides point of view Perry is very good and I have sent many of my clients his way and all have come back with great reviews. Perry has two other guids that work for him Dion and Willis and they are both excellant. Pete If you are interested I'll hook you up .
Old 06-07-2009, 08:58 AM
*** FORUM SPONSOR ***

Location: Western New York Steelhead, Bahamas Bonefish, Wild Western Trout
Great report! I've never fished GB but someday . . . .
I know from reports here and from friends that it is a great bonefishery.
God does not deduct from man's alloted time the hours spent fishing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.