New breathables - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2009, 10:08 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

New breathables

I'm calling upon the collective wisdom re: experiences with the latest goretex waders.

Since the ol' trusty guide weight Simms are no longer, I'm looking at a buying decision.

Anyone using the new models? How long, plusses / minuses?

Also the latest Patagonia, although pricey, claims to be their best (toughest) yet with good design features. Probably too new to review yet.

thanks in advance
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2009, 10:33 AM
LBFF Mojo

The new 2008 g3 guides (make sure they are the newest version with the orange zipper) are pretty fffing good. They corrected the issue in the first g3's that were leak machines but the newer g3s are what I am seeing most hardcore steelie guides wearing and mine lasted all season last year without problems. The most comfy waders I have ever worn. Moving the seams to the front seems to have fixed the issues.

I also have the g4 with the muck boots and they rock as well. The only difference is the 5 layer goretex goes up to your waist instead of thigh high.

With the new g3s I think they finally have a good replacement for the trusty guide models that are no longer avail.

Have a feeling the patagonias are good as well and their repair/return policy cannot be beat. No experience with them though.

-sean
Old 05-07-2009, 11:42 AM

I have to put in a good word for the 'old style' Orvis Silver Label waders. This may come as a surprise but mine are going on season #4 and get used fresh and salt pretty much year round. They are stained with mud and blood, smelly, have been scuffed by briars and hooks. The knee pads have partially ripped off thanks to some barbed wire and the gravel guard hooks have completely rusted away. Still - NO LEAKS. I don't bother to rinse them and frequently put them away wet. I have a replacement pair ready to go when (if) these one's fail
Old 05-07-2009, 02:54 PM
Flats Rat

Well Dave, you must have got the "good pair" or maybe I'm just "heavy footed"

I got through three pairs of silver labels in one week a few years back. The problem was the boots cracking across the instep. Other folks have also reported good experiences so I'm guessing a bad batch of whatever rubber mix in the boots found its way to Orvis.

Mind you I was walking from the causeway to the tip of South Beach and back each day. Ahh surf side action on the way down in the morning, sight fishing the outgoing on the inside coming back up in the afternoon. Those were the day's ......
Old 05-07-2009, 03:43 PM

Orvis Silver Label

I have two pairs of Orvis Silver Label bootfoot waders. I've gotten 4-5 years out of the first ones, but they seem quit porous now. They are a lot damper inside than just from condensation, but I detect no specific leak spots. I have taken to spraying the inside with Scotchguard to try to diminish the porosity - willing to give up breathability. Any recommendations for a different waterproofing spray?? The second pair of Silver Labels is newer and has performed OK, but is now starting to become damp inside. Also one of the boots just cracked along the top of the instep where the rubber thickness varies. I think my liberal application of AquaSeal has forestalled a leak there.
The Silver Label waders are not up to my Simms pairs, but then the cost differential is quite substantial.
Thanks.
GMflyfish
Old 05-07-2009, 04:00 PM

The good old days indeed - nothing was better than spotting migratory pods in the AM surf followed by world class sight fishing in the afternoon. Good times.

Adrian my SL's are stocking foots. All of the Bootfoot waders I have used suffered the same fate as yours (without the extreme milage)
Old 05-07-2009, 04:17 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

My Simms Guide Weights averaged 4 years of heavy use per pair - bummed they stopped making them. I am not concerned with cost if I can divide that cost over that many years of hardcore use / cost per trouble free year

How about Patagonia?

southway mention: pass the dynamite
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 05-08-2009, 10:35 AM

Juro, I got 3.5 seasons out of my last pair of Patagonia waders, and I'm on my 2nd season with my current pair. I had a pair of Bean's waders in between there, but the fact that I'm back with Patagonias should tell you how I felt about them.

My old pair had gore-tex booties, which was the eventual failure point, and the new ones have neoprene, so I'm hoping to get at least as much use out of these. I fish close to 100 days a year, so anything over 2 seasons on a pair of waders is great in my book.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.