Travel to Cuba Revocation ? - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2009, 06:47 AM

Smile Travel to Cuba Revocation ?

I have been watching the news of Obama allowing US citizens to travel to Cuba..
........wonder if he likes bone fishing...I hope so.......I know a few folks from up north (Canada) and they rave about fishing there.....Call your Congressman !!!
Then line up and hit Cuba for Bones !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2009, 08:07 AM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Cuba has been on my radar as a fishing destination for a long time. As I understand, Obama will allow family members unlimited travel to, and transferring funds to family members in Cuba. Journalists from the U.S. have been allowed to visit. Lefty Kreh indicated it is one of the best fishing destinations he has visited. He was referring to the Jardines de la Reina area with Avalon.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:42 AM

No personal experience myself. have heard though that many of the better areas have been netted out by the locals.

CC Charlie
Old 04-04-2009, 11:08 AM
In moderation

I have fished Cayo Largo in Cuba 5 or 6 times.
There are bones, tarpon, permit, snook and everything else to make it on of the best places I know.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:44 PM

i too would really like to fish here. that said, im not convinced it is the right move at this time. Cuba still persecutes anyone who "disagrees" with the government and while the pressure from the US hasn't overthrown Castro and his brother, perhaps some support from the international community would help.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:25 AM

The reason Cuba is good is that Americans are not allowed to go. Did I offend anyone yet? Pressure kills any fishery. Imagine your best trout stream in Montana. Now imagine that same trout stream but only residents of New York state are allowed to fish it and they have to travel thousands of miles to get there. When and if your government opens the doors I suggest you hop on a plane that same year because it will soon be just another Carribean island with resorts, McDonalds and $600 a day guides fighting over sore lipped Bones. To be honest though I have only fished Cuba once, back in 2004, and have not been back since. It's not the shangrila it is made out to be. I have found other places just as good with better food and accomodations.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:05 PM

I don't see unrestricted travel to Cuba to immediately follow these rather small policy changes. It's only a slight ease of restrictions for Cuban-Americans who already are allowed quite a bit more than Joe Sixpack. Those with direct family ties will now be allowed to visit as often as they want (rather than 14 days every 3 years) and they may send unlimited funds (not capped at $1200 per year). That might not seem like a lot, but then again a good average salary is in the neighborhood of $250/year over there. Of course, your friendly Cuban government will help itself to ~30% of all funds, but getting the Castros addicted to green might very well be more effective than the blockade and hardball approach of the last 50 years. If Cuba responds with pro-American/democratic actions, however symbolic, it might just get the ball rolling to normalize relations (Cancunize the island of Cuba.) I realize this is a fishing forum and political debates may be best avoided, but I still find it a little awkward to focus on future fishing opportunities in this context, the suppressed Cuban people deserve a little freedom and basic rights a whole lot more than we need another Caribbean fishing destination (and of course, by "we" I mean you Americans). Not that they are opposed and preclude each other, but still.

I've also heard that the high-end fishing in Cuba is spectacular, but it is far from cheap. More affordable setups including DIY can be hit and miss. I'm not sure it would be a huge game changer for the fishery with easier access for Americans.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.