Silver side - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Striper (etc) Flies Tricks of the trade

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2009, 07:48 AM
fish'n Hobo

Silver side

Here is a little different take. Body is palmered hackle over tinsel. Flatwing hackles. Polar Bear,
flash. Stripped peacock topping.
on mustad C70SD 2/0
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	siverside (Small).jpg
Views:	407
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	6904  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2009, 09:15 AM

Jim.. .I would think that the palmered hackle would give the fly a bit more fatter shape at the forfront which silversides have. Tje creativity of various tyers always amazes me. This winter on a trip to florida.....i found a whole bunch of different fly construction techniques....must admit, I stole from them all.
I noticed you used purple....that I found to be a very popular color while fall fishing in RI this past season...there is a whole clan of folks who swear by purple.
My most successful fly this fall in RI was a 2 inch all whiteshminnow snook fly...go figure??? Not sure how important color is.....but fishing Bay side i have found grey sand eels do far better than the typical chartreaous/olive over white. On cloudy days, even black produces. Then again, "my son", only uses chartreaous and have great success. Maybe if the fish are feeding...it really doesn't matter....it may matter more to me

Ron
Old 04-12-2009, 09:49 AM
President of CAC

Thumbs up

Jim, Thanks for that...I love the delicate look of it and in water I am sure it will take the bait fish shape....early saltwater flies took book from old salmon flies and this one reminds me of that type of combination.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:00 AM
fish'n Hobo

Thanks guys.
I enjoy the discussion.
John, you are right! I also tie Spey and Dee patterns for steelhead. Many of the ideas I try to copy/expand upon come from those vintage patterns.

btw: I'm hoping the tinsel give that tell tale "silver side flash".

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.