First fish of 2009 was . . . - Fly Fishing Forum
Warmwater flyfishing Bass, pike and even muskies in your backyard

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2009, 08:12 PM
_

Talking First fish of 2009 was . . .

a humpbacked, cross-eyed mirror carp .

It's finally springtime here in the northeast and I got out for my first casts of the season last Saturday. I headed south to an early-season shore spot on the river to look for some carp. There were loads of carp around: some feeding, some lazing on the surface and some starting to chase each other around with that crazy look in their eyes . This one was searching for food in a faster riffle and I managed to drift and drop my black conehead woolly bugger right in front of it.

Anyone else glad to be fishing again??

Q
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	housy carp 032809.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	6901  
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2009, 10:05 PM
Fly chucker

Nice to see someone on the board for 2009!

I've taken a few pike from CT River backwaters, but my fishing hasn't begun in earnest yet. I want to get as many house projects as possible done so that when the fishing hits good I'll be able to give it the attention that it deserves.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:41 PM

I'm still looking for my first fish of 2009 (Grrrrr). Haven't even purchased a license as yet (house projects go on and on and my fishing buddies have dropped completely from sight).

Ah, well, later on this month I'm going to Captiva/Sanibel and intend to fish my brains out (which won't take all that long, considering)

Cheers, anyway,

Eric
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2009, 08:25 AM
Certified Fish Nut

First trip out for the year was Salmon River Steelhead on March 20th. Everyone was bitching about the cold temps and slow fishing. Personally, I was on an adrenaline high the first day fighting dozens of steelies, managed to land a couple too.

I didn't even notice the 34 degree water filling the left boot of my waders until we got back to the car and headed back to motel. Landed a new pair of waders that night too... shhhhh, don't tell my wife.

Also, got out for a couple hours last week for post ice out salmon and lake trout. Conditions were a little tough but Lake Champlain fishing will get hot over the next week or so!. Mid-April to Early June is my favorite time of year for fly fishing the lake.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:39 PM

Curve, that's a nice looking Steelie. Egg pattern, WB or Stonefly? Let me know how it goes on the lake; another week or two and its' Bass & Pike up in the trees.
Old 04-09-2009, 02:56 PM
Certified Fish Nut

VTLoon,
Didn't find any water temps above 40 in the trees last week when I went out. Hope warmer temps in the forecast will get things going... Can't wait to try the BIG pike flies I tied over the winter. Will be off most of next week making home improvements so should have some time to get on the water. Jope to get up into Mallet's creek...

PM me if you are around and interested in getting out.

FYI, small black stone fly nymphs was the pattern of choice on steelies as not enough spawn activity at the time to get the egg bite going. A few other nymph patterns (caddis pupa, mayfly nymphs) worked too but not as consistent. Stones were readily available, 5-10 flies per square yard crawling around the snow pack adjacent to the stream banks.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:57 PM

Quentin, you're ahead of me; that Carp is at least as pretty as it's mother thinks it is. Glad to see you didn't use one of the Tuna flies.
Spring melt is well underway in Vermont. Given all the surrounding mountains, the water level in Lake Champlain is up about 4' and rising. That puts the water back into the fields and woods. Bass and Pike will hold within inches of the big trees since, as they soak up the sun, they heat the water next to them. Consider it New England Snook fishing.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:36 PM
_

Glad to see that some of you guys are getting into some good fish . That's an awesome steelie!

Spring definitely has sprung in my area. I went out for a few casts after work tonight and got a little of everything: a couple pickerel, a few crappie, a couple of bluegill, a little largemouth and a perch. The big crappies are in the shallows now and the carp are starting to do their thing.

I haven't taken the boat out yet. Maybe this weekend. Then it will officially be spring in my mind .

Q
Old 04-23-2009, 10:53 AM
Certified Fish Nut

Found 55F water temp in the Lake Champlain shallows last weekend. Cold front and bright sun turned fishing off. however, spotted a lot of nice bass/pike glued to cover.

Lack of spring rains thus far keeping the lake low. Hopefully reduced spawning areas should be more concentrated w/ fish.

Hope to get first pike & bass of 2009 this weekend!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.