Spring? where is everyone? - Fly Fishing Forum
Classic Atlantic Salmon No pursuit rivals salmon rivers, flies & legacy

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-18-2009, 08:13 PM

Spring? where is everyone?

Very quiet out there in Salar land...... Anyone getting cabin fever? Any Predictions for ice out on the mighty Miramichi ? (it's 30 days till spring fishing). Anyone create a new fly this winter? Where are Anne's "name the pool contests"? ! Maybe we are all working too hard due to global "conditions". Be well everyone, it won't be long now!
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2009, 08:06 AM
*** FORUM SPONSOR ***

Location: York-Dartmouth-St-Jean-Cap-Chat-Madeleine-Pabos-Grande-Rivière
Bonjour Green Ghost,

Well, for me, these days, I am cross country sking along the St-Jean River each morning.

Okay then...I do have a question.
(A topic I read on another site)

What are your thoughts about:

"Why fish jump?" -

" Will that jumper take your Fly?"

Ann

(is skiing over in your area?)
Old 03-19-2009, 11:01 AM

The snow pack in Vermont is lower than last year at this time. But I am still skiing. That is a very nice photo along the St Jean.

I have heard many reasons for fish jumping. Females shaking up there eggs. Males angry and frustrated. Especially later in the season.

Fish on the move often jump And moving fish are usually not takers. However,

My experience is jumping fish are takers during the right conditions. I once hooked two that were fresh in from the ocean in the Fallls. They Lept into the pool, making their presence known, then the next thing they did was take the first fly that came by them. Fresh territorial fish!
Old 03-19-2009, 04:43 PM
Venture

Send a message via ICQ to Venture
Its quite all right!

I think cabin fever is peaking right about now. Here on Long Island the Striper season should be starting in about a month or so and kick into high gear by mid May. Then its up to the Gaspe for fun and games.

Hmmm.....why do salmon jump? Probably to get a breath of fresh air. But the old timers tell me its to announce themselves. I would think it's because of their pent up energy.

Do they take? Most say no. Some say sometimes. I agree with the latter and with GG. I think I have hooked a jumper or two in my time.

Do rollers take? Some say yes and they are true takers. Some say sometimes. Here I also agree with the latter. I've taken a few rollers in my time.......and have been skunked doing so many other times...

Whether he is a jumper or a roller, one thing is for sure. Your odds vastly increase when your fly swings over a fish.

Thanks for keeping the board going!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.