I did it ! - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-31-2007, 07:42 PM

I did it !

Just to let my old steelhead friends know I'm officially retired. A bit disapointed that it took till I was 56 as I hoped to be done with the BS of earning a pay check by 55. I think my old friend Moonlight may have beat me by a year or two age wise but he earned that honor. The wife and I now can work full time on the boat and should have her fully ready to go by July 5th. We plan on heading north up the inland passage and around Vancouver Island for the summer. Would be great to meet up with any of you who live up that way, we welcome you all on board for G&T's or a cold beer. Send us your e-mail address and where you live and we will get in contact with you when close by.

Been getting all my fly tying gear bagged and vacuumed sealed for our sail to Mexico, Central America, S. Pacific and beyond. It's the first time I have touched my gear in about two years. Last time was Striper fishing on our honeymoon with Fred A as our guide on Cape Cod. Sure have missed fly fishing but getting ready for the next four years or so has taken every minute of spare time. I sure have missed fishing and hanging out with Moonlight, Sinktip and some of the boys from the WSC. I need to get a hold of Juro so I can send reports back via e-mail to him and he can post them as we will be fishing some far out of the way places. Will be taking one 12 wt, one 10 wt and two 8's and bunch of reels and of course two surf boards, one for me and one for the kid.

God Darn it feels good to not have to work for someone anymore, no more yes sir no sir, keep my mouth shut sir! Hope to see some of you boys from Vancouver Island way this summer.

Steve, Tracy and Nolan.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:01 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

OC -

CONGRATS!!!

I PM'ed you my private email, it would be an honor to chronicle your conquering of the seven seas.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2007, 10:53 PM

Hey, OC

Congratulations on your retirement and I would especially congratulate you on retiring in the prime of life.

I'm looking forward to your posts as you voyage around various fishy waters.

Cheers,

-- Eric
Old 04-01-2007, 12:58 AM

Congrats OC! I'd love to take you up on the offer for a G&T (and Moonlight's too) should your voyage bring you further north. So it's a bit longer of a trip but, Hey! -it's not like you got to make it back to work.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:18 AM
Middle Aged Member

Congratulations OC! Are you going to get out this way before your departure? I'm working hard on convincing Donna that we need to visit you when you are in some place like, say, the Society Islands.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:16 AM

By all means congrat's...

Great news OC I know you three will have a great time on your go around cruise, it all smacks of a truly great adventure maybe epic! I look forward to an occasional post card from the edge.
On a more personal note I see that my river is about to be in shape so I am headed that way in a few minutes to fish and burn firewood for the next few days. It seems that I don't have anything better to d with my time.
Pescaphile has really good morage options a few blocks from his house in Klawock and I know the wet road from Van Isle leads right there.
Old 04-02-2007, 02:27 PM
Pullin' Thread

Steve,

You have no idea how much I'd like to be in your shoes of not having to worry about earning a paycheck. Enjoy the trip and may you have good winds and smooth sailing.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:41 PM
Token Gear Guy

Congratulations, Steve...I've missed you, bud...it's been about two years since I've seen you last.

I look forward to seeing you plying some streams around here again sometime soon!

Fish on...

Todd
Old 04-03-2007, 10:35 AM
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club

Congrats Steve, I doubt I will be able to retire anytime soon. Matter of fact I see myself working as a greeter at wally world when I am seventy. "Get your ass in the store lady and no I don't know where the freakin' underwear section is."

Are you going to be in the San Juans? My brother lives on Lopez and I owe him a visit. It would be nice to time it so I could visit with you and tour your vessel.

Good luck and calm seas.

Kerry
Old 04-04-2007, 06:43 PM

Hey this not going to work is kind of fun. Still up at 0430 but now a little coffee and breakfast even have time to read the news paper instead of tossing it in the recycle bin unread. At the boat at 0730 make more coffee and listen to folks on the SSB Marine nets for awhile then start a new project on the boat for the day.

Pescaphile, was hoping to meet up with you but I guess you are too far north. We were going to go up as far as the Queen Charletes but due to the July cast off date It will be cutting it too tight to make the September 1st holding for a weather window at Neah Bay for the trip down to San Fran.

Moonlight, If you are not up in upper BC in late August we will clear customs in PA and most likely hang out there till the 1st of Sept. So we will be looking you up for sure.
Fred, Yup we will be out to Cape Cod but it may be sooner than later as Tracy's mom is not doing so well. Tracy just got back from there yesterday. But if the fish are in when we are there we hope you will take us out and lend us some gear. It will be great to see you, Donna and Captin Carl if he is not off winning some world cup of sailing somewhere. But we will see you...

To the rest of ya thanks for the e-mail addresses it will be fun to meet you if everything goes right. We will supply the crab and drinks you supply good company and talk.
Later
Steve.
Hey Todd, I'll be back in about 4 years don't continue to catch so many fish!
Old 02-18-2009, 05:17 PM
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club

Hey, OC, are you still out there? Anybody got a 20 on this old sailor?

OC, if you are listening I hope your travels have been good.

Kerry
Old 02-20-2009, 10:43 AM
Middle Aged Member

OC and his bride are in New Zealand trying to sell the boat. They were in the states for a month over the holidays. I believe family considerations drove the decision to cease the adventure. Read about it here:

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/svhannah/
Old 02-20-2009, 10:52 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I like to think I can put the colors in mind into the words I write, but when I read Tracy's words I realize I am scribbling with a ball point pen while some can blend textures and hues with the masters.

I understand completely about family urgencies, but hate to see this end as I've enjoyed the adventure vicariously through this journal and it has been enriching to say the least, even exhilarating at times.

OC, Tracy and Nolan - next time you're on the cape let's get together I know a place where we can pick enough fresh oysters to skip dinner and the G&T's are on me.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 02-20-2009, 09:17 PM
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredA
OC and his bride are in New Zealand trying to sell the boat. They were in the states for a month over the holidays. I believe family considerations drove the decision to cease the adventure. Read about it here:

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/svhannah/

Thanks Fred. I forgot about the blog.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:48 PM

Thanks guys for the nice words. Yup we are done and very sad about the prospects of returning to the USA. Sometimes ya got to do what you got to do and dreams go by the wayside. On a brighter note looks like we will be renting a small farm down on the Hood River, Oregon in a small town called Dee. So at least I will be able to fish steelhead if there are any left to fish for in September and October. Other good news is we may be able to trade SV Hannah for a 5 bedroom house on 3 acres right near one of my favorite surf beaches on the North Island of NZ. We are too old to live in New Zealand as citizens but we can spend 6 months there in summer and 6 months in the NW sailing our other boat up in Canada and Puget Sound.

Just spent 3 weeks hiking and fly fishing North and South Island and had a ball. Just fished big rivers by walking in and used steelhead techneques and did very well with sinktips and floating lines. 7 pounds was the smallest did not see a fish smaller anywhere and not much way bigger, all fish about same. All browns where I fished. I think a lot of folks spend too much money on guides and sight fishing and just don't fish the big rivers. They are full of fish and fun to fish.
later
Steve and Tracy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.