Fly Record Steelhead From the Hoh - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-17-2009, 02:50 PM

Fly Record Steelhead From the Hoh

Killing the fish started a bit of a controversy:

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/200...head-a-trophy/

Anybody here have an opinion?

Cheers,

Eric
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2009, 03:26 PM

What a fantastic fish! It sounds like the angler's heart was in the right place for C&R but the fish was in bad shape when it was landed. Talk about beginners luck!
Old 03-17-2009, 03:32 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I am fully against killing wild steelhead and I (legally) kept my last wild steelhead from the Snoqualmie 20 or so years ago, a river that's not really known for a native run like the Hoh, and not one since.

I think we need to go waay beyond release regulations and reach deep into things like replacing gill nets with selective fish traps and the ever-important habitat which is the primary cause of extinction but it all begins with conscientious sportsmen.

I get a lot more personal satisfaction from knowing something like this is swimming free than having it over the fireplace but, like ol' Bob Gooding says it's not my decision to make.

That being said, this is his first steelhead and if it's the last native he kills (as he will never beat this one) then I reserve judgement with one reservation - can you imagine what this beast would look like in 2010 or beyond? It could have been the new world record on any tackle class if it picked up a few more pounds.
and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 03-19-2009, 12:15 AM

There is a lot of stuff floating around the local web about this fish and the angler. Appears to be a bunch of BS, some pics show the fish hooked in the lip and it did not start bleeding until the rock struck its head. Without being there nobody can say with out a doubt what happened. That said it is a shame.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:36 PM

Another reason

that taking wild fish on the OP has got to go!!! What a waste. A picture and a moc mount would have been a much better choice.

Practice is about increasing your repertoire of ways to recover from your mistakes. Joann C. Gutin
Old 03-27-2009, 11:29 PM
Certified Fish Nut

Does anyone know if Nicholas English's Kispiox Steelhead last fall was released? Seemed to be implied in the article I read but was not definitively stated. That was even a bigger specimen although never weighed to cofirm (+~14% based on formula).
Regardless, these two monsters from the Hoh and Kispiox in a short time frame tells me there are more monster's lurking in the pacific. Still saddening the fish was fought that long and was killed.

A good trip to Pulaski last weekend and all these BC reports of monster fish is making me think a trip out west is in order!
Old 03-28-2009, 01:06 PM

I believe it was released, I recall reading about 50 or 60 something pics taken prior to its release. I saw some pics where the beast was laying on its side on some larger cobble. Not in my mind the best way to handle such a magnificent fish, but I am sure the lodge will pimp the hell out of it. I am hoping the land, pics, and release were done with extreme caution.
Old 03-28-2009, 07:57 PM

Please, get involved and support the Wild Steelhead Coalition, the Native Fish Society, the Hoh River Trust or the wild fish conservation organization of your choice.

Our fisheries and the future of wild fish depend on it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.