Sarasota Fishin report - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-14-2009, 05:06 PM
2 handed Fly Chucker

Sarasota Fishin report

I was out poking around in the intercoastal around Sarasota, found a bunch of snook. Couldn't find the right recipe to get them to bite, ran out of time.

I hope to get another shot from the boat, hard to get to the right night spots without one, lots of company in the wading access areas...

Water is warming, spanish macs are offshore and the kingfish are on their way, spring fishing is heating up here...

Tight lines, Greg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2009, 06:08 AM
PhlyPhishing Physician

Greg- I'm flying down there Saturday to spend a week with the folks (they spend Jan-early May each year on Long Boat Key just north of Sarasota). Will be renting a kayak to use for fishing Sarasota Bay. PM me if you'd be interested in getting together sometime during the week
Flydoc
Old 03-15-2009, 10:58 AM
2 handed Fly Chucker

Hi Flydoc,

I'd certainly join you if I was still here.

I wish I was staying that long, But alas I return to the great white north...

The water is warming up nicely, might even see some snook out in the gulf soon, lots fish still stacked up in spots in the intercoastal.

Should be more active when you are here.

Good luck and tight lines.

Greg
Old 03-15-2009, 04:15 PM
PhlyPhishing Physician

Greg- Sorry you won't be sticking around- was looking forward to maybe hooking up with somebody down there I actually knew (other than my parents, neither of whom is into fishing). Any idea if/when you'll be down that neck of the woods next year? I usually go down the week of Saint Patty's Day, but my folks had some conference in Orlando they wanted to go to this week, so I had to postpone the flight down until the 21st- sounds like that might work out best for the fishing, based on your reports and the ones I've been reading elsewhere on the 'net.
Still working on my first redfish and first snook on the fly. Hopefully better luck with using the kayak this time. Should have stories/pics to tell/show at the Spring Clave- will look for you there.
Flydoc
Old 03-15-2009, 07:25 PM

Flydoc....tie up a few 'crystal schimows" on # 2 hooks for snook and or sea trout....just white estaz on hook shank with a large plump of white mariboo off the end the length of the shank...tie using bead chain or crustation eyes...a killer!
Ron
Old 03-15-2009, 08:43 PM
PhlyPhishing Physician

Ron- already done- got that recipe from the young manager at the shop here in Harwich (I keep forgetting his name...the Mayor knows who I'm talking about). Also some bunny flies in various colors, and some "Sweet Ernies" (basically the fly you recommended, but the tail is a short piece of Estaz the same length as the hook shank- found the recipe in the latest issue of FFSW). Also some crab and shrimp flies for the reds. Now if I can just stop grinding my teeth in anticipation
I'll post pics if I hit the jackpot!
Flydoc
Old 03-17-2009, 08:36 PM

Long Boat Key

FlyDoc,

I have parents in LBK as well. And zero luck catching snook. Can you post your location, catches and flies after you get back?

Thanks,

Marty
Old 03-17-2009, 09:26 PM

Flydoc...as an aside....late last fall when I fished RI, the stripers were hitting very small silversides in the surf....the only flies I had in my box that were that small were 2 crystal schminows I had left over from a trip to florida..........I tied one on and caught at least 30 stripers in less than 5 hours..........as my rod was bent almost continually, a guy came over and asked what I was using for a fly....I showed him and he said "you can't catch stripers with a fly like that"....I had to laugh.....afterall...the rod was consistently bent............don't quite know what other evidence he needed I gave him my last fly....he casted once, got nothing and promptly gave it back to me. Just goes to show you that geniious is not just limited to politicians
Ron
PS: Had my yearly physical last week....do you MDs really get a sick kick out of letting patients hear that loud snapping of latex gloves? Maybe he was just testing my hearing status. Hopefully next year I will be stone deaf!
Old 03-18-2009, 06:08 AM
In moderation

Hey Doc
I think the best redfish/snook fly is a red and white seaducer size 1/0.
I am off to Louisiana next week to try for some reds.
Good luck and see you at the Clave.

Pete
Old 03-28-2009, 08:50 AM
PhlyPhishing Physician

Pete- thanks for the suggestion- unfortunately I didn't see your post until today, my last day down here- will have to tie some up for next year. Bad luck again this year due to some unseasonably strong winds that made kayaking a challenge at best and a threat to life at worst. Took a dunk in the style of the Poseidon Adventure trying to paddle up the Gulf side of the island in rough surf on Tuesday- lost my Orvis T3 9wt and an old Redington 9/10 reel in the process- stupid me for not securing the rig better to the kayak. That experience made me a bit nervous about anything resembling a good swell over deep water, even on the more protected Bay side. Picked up a TFO TiCrX 9 wt at the shop on Siesta Key and tried the Bay side on Wednesday- by then the winds were howling, and casting was a challenge. Winds worse as the week progressed, so returned the kayak early so my folks would not feel nervous about it sitting on top of their car unattended in public parking lots. Fished from a dock yesterday and came up with a half dozen yellowtail snappers for my effort- better than nothing, but not what I was looking for. Winds today at 20+ mph from the South- actually looking forward to getting back to the Cape for some trout pond action with the 4wt, then the Spring Clave in May. May have to save up for next year so I can spend at least one day down here with one of the local guides.
As we Red Sox fans used to say- better luck next year!
Flydoc

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.