Early season nymphing - Fly Fishing Forum
The Quintessential Trout Trout angling is the core of flyfishing worldwide.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-20-2009, 09:55 PM

Early season nymphing

Its that time of year when we all get tired of being in the house. For early season fishing if you had to pick your favorite nymphs what would they be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2009, 02:06 PM
Certified Fish Nut

For the northeast the cold late winter/early spring waters limit fishing due to nearly iced over conditions on virtually every stream and river until at least mid march; however, during aa warm spell there are some good hatches of large black stone flies in March if some of the winter holding areas free up from ice. Salmon and steelhead will often come out of lake champlain and other lakes and into the estuary and lower river/stream sections.

Fish are gonna get a good look at the fly in crystal clear water. I like to use a a more realistic pattern. Although the pic below is a golden stone, I tie it in black as well. Works great on Landlocked Salmon, Trout, Bass, and steelhead.

Once the water starts to warm and snow melt driven flooding is over (early May +/- a couple weeks) I find that caddis pupae, pheasant tails, and a few other patterns work well fished behind the aforementioned stonefly nymph OR a wooly bugger. I probably use a black wooly bugger w/ orange cyrstal flash and black marabou tail 90+% of the time in may thru june if I'm nymphing.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:58 PM

winter/spring

I guess we are more fortunate than most in the northern climes but I have been getting out on the Bow any time the weather gets around or above freezing for a couple days straight and frees the river of floating slush. The stones are always a good choice as a point fly along with copper johns,prince nymphs,midge pupae and of course the many san juan variations. Trout have been quite active particularily on those days where the sun helps to get those midges hatching.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:29 AM
Certified Fish Nut

Yeah, w/ mean high temps in the teens/twenties for most of Jan-Feb our winter months are not so fishable on the local rivers... In January, we had a couple weeks where day time highs struggled to get above 0deg Farenheit, let alone anywhere near above freezing. Most winters we do get similar warm spells you describe and things fishing can be good on the streams.

Otherwise, ice fishing is the popular gig around town in the winter. If the winter is mild, I usually try and find some open water on Lake Champlain to target Lake trout and Landlocked Atlantics on the fly. On a bright sunny day ice-less flats will warm up significantly and some good fish can be had on the fly rod if you can get to the water. But, that's a topic for another forum.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:05 PM

I guess it depends on the types of bugs you have locally but caddis larva and pheasant tails have been working for me over the last couple of weeks.

Micro-eggs and San Juan worms always a good bet this time of year.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.