PBS's Frontline - Fly Fishing Forum
Our Environment We are stewards of wild places

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-20-2009, 05:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to highway61
PBS's Frontline

On April 21 PBS will broadcast a report by Frontline titled "Poisoned Waters". It is a report about the continuing damage done to the Chesapeake Bay and Puget Sound from multiple sources of polution. I am sure this is nothing new for many of you, but it is my hope that this program will alarm both Congress and the public to take action. What follows is from Frontline' home page describing the program:

"More than three decades after the Clean Water Act, two iconic waterways—the great coastal estuaries Puget Sound and the Chesapeake Bay—are in perilous condition. With polluted runoff still flowing in from industry, agriculture, and massive suburban development, scientists fear contamination to the food chain and drinking water for millions of people. A growing list of endangered species is also threatened in both estuaries. As a new president, Congress, and states set new agendas and spending priorities, FRONTLINE correspondent Hedrick Smith examines the rising hazards to human health and the ecosystem, and why it’s so hard to keep our waters clean".

As desperate as it may seem, it is my hope that with all the money being spent in the massive stimulus package, something will be done.

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2009, 07:46 AM
Middle Aged Member

Interesting and disturbing. Nothing you're not aware of but put some focus on the issues.

I'll think twice before I grab the Perdue chicken breasts when shopping.

Why do I always get mixed up in my minds eye when thinking about Frank Perdue or Ross Peroe?
Old 04-22-2009, 09:39 AM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Steve, thanks for the reminder. Political wrangling by the chicken farmers is not dissimilar to Omega Proteins' impact on the menhaden population.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:12 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

On cape the wild seafood is plentiful but I've shifted my shopping to Whole Foods while up in my city pad and find myself buying smaller day-to-day portions of organic foods.

Yesterday they gave out re-usable bags in honor of Earth Day (today). It's not the most economical option to shop there for general needs (that's what Costco's for!) but for stuff you eat it's a great place to find the good stuff thats good for mother earth.

When I lived in Seattle I ate a lot of home-grown vegetables and caught a lot of wild salmon and halibut. Here in Chatham I plan to complement the menu with cherrystones and softshells as well as fresh-caught finfish this year... summer flounder being one of my very favorites of all.

and Founder, Worldwide Flyfishing Forum
Old 04-27-2009, 10:11 PM

Excellent program, too bad the "masses" won't see it, too busy watching American Idol I suppose :-P
Old 05-14-2009, 10:03 AM

Send a message via AIM to highway61
I am glad to report this follow up to Frontline's "Poisoned Waters". The federal government has created an initiative to clean up the Chesapeake Bay which will be a model for other endangered waterways around the nation. President Barack Obama recently ordered the federal government to clean up the Chesapeake Bay. EPA chief, Lisa Jackson, has created a federal Bay leadership committee headed by her and will include senior representatives from the Departments of Agriculture, Interior, Commerce, Congress, and the Heritage Foundation.

The federal intervention will pony up more money, and for the surrounding states new goals, specifically ordering a two-year reduction in the levels of nitrogen and phosphorous found in the Bay. This is big considering that these nutrients encourage the growth of algae, which in turn sucks oxygen from the watershed and creating dead zones for animal and plant life. In regard to other sources of pollution the EPA also is creating a Chesapeake Bay "Total Maximum Daily Load," essentially a pollution diet, which will result in an allocation of pollution levels for each state by next year. The plan's goal is to have the Chesapeake Bay cleaned up by 2025. Good news indeed!

Steve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.