Guidance please? - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-18-2000, 09:38 AM

Guidance please?

Hello fly-people!

I may be heading back home for the weekend(Newburyport area) and would like some guidance if possible. How is Joppa fishing these days? Is the point crouded on the weekends this time of year? Any suggestions where I may be able to find fish on Saturday? I would appreciate any information you can provide - thank you in advance.

broche
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2000, 11:33 AM

RE:Guidance please?

broche,

Joppa, as well as the surrounding area, is going to be busy this weekend....some 1st Annual striper tournament of some sort. Probably going to be a mob scene.

To answer your question...it's been mostly small fish around Joppa. Usually is this time of year.

One of the other boards has some "up to date" Joppa reports.

Doug B.
Old 08-18-2000, 12:17 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I hear there are plenty of schoolies with occasional frenzies and a big fish once in a while. You might try asking Bob Desplaines over at Blue Northern (www.bluenorthern.com). The area is Sully's home waters, and if Terry gets back from harrassing the bronzebacks he plays up there a lot too. Bill Downing probably has a recent report as well, on anyplace in New England for that matter

Most years I fish the whole North shore hard including NH and sometimes ME - but this year I hit the early season rush of shorts up to 28" on the bottom of the tide at the mouth and then proceeded to focus on cows around Chatham and Monomoy. Frankly, the way the water currents have held the fish on Chatham this year I haven't looked back since.

With the whole refuge open to access now, I would recommend fishing around Sandy Pt, Sunset Beach, the rocks and the oceanfront for some quality fishing. There will be plenty of schoolies and I'll bet a few big bass when the bait is in the Ipswich mouth rips.

If you have a skiff, I would recommend Hampton's sandy shoals and tidal channels on moving tides - the area gets a lot more fish than people give it credit for and they tend to hang in the extremities of the tributaries making for some real estuary style flyfishing with some nice big fish spending the summer months.

Good luck!
Old 08-18-2000, 12:37 PM

I'm not going near the place this weekend. Tournament madness.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.