Any reviews on G Loomis' Current Reels? - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-27-2009, 01:29 PM

Any reviews on G Loomis' Current Reels?

I am about to purchase G Loomis' Streamdance GLX (5wt) rod and wanted to put their 5-6 wt. Current Reel with it but I can't find a review out there anywhere for this reel. I'm new to this form, and to fly fishing for that matter but I would sure appreciate some help.

Kind regards,
Danny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2009, 06:39 PM

Hello Danny, I cannot help you on your reel question as this is the first I have heard of this model. However I can welcome you to the forum; Welcome Danny
I hope someone can come along & help you out. I can say this about 5 -6 wt reels, typically fish you would go after with a rod that size do not need a real fancy drag set up or an expensive reel. I find as long as it holds enough line & backing and I can use my palm if needed to apply some drag it will be OK. If the loomis reel looks to be of quality build with good workmanship it should serve you just fine.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:26 PM

Hi Warren,

Thanks for the warm welcome to the forum. I'm hooked on fly fishing and looking forward to learning as much as possible before my big trip in May. Just like taking up golf as a child, I look forward to doing this the rest of my life.

Kind regards,
Danny
Old 02-04-2009, 08:20 AM

No body has used a G loomis current reel??

Is it safe to say that nobody on this forum has bought, used or knows someone who has used a G loomis current reel..? I emailed the company and their only reply to this question was to copy and paste the website ad for the reel. I'm starting to wonder if anyone at G Loomis has used this reel... I did find a video of Mr. Loomis standing in a stream with a fly rod and what appeared to be a "current reel" on it... But,, he never made any cast,, he just stood there and talked to the camera... Was he afraid to cast for fear of the reel coming apart and falling into the water??? Strange indeed.....

Old 02-13-2009, 09:07 PM

It's the top-of-the-line Shimano fly reel

I've seen it and played with it at a shop in Japan last year. It's actually a very nicely built reel. Shimano makes great bait casting and spinning reels for small to medium games. This one is no exception. They have put the drag system used in their high-end spinning reel. Great reels for the money. I wouldn't buy one for serious saltwater use, though. I hear from friends in Japan that these reels have been very popular there since their introduction last year.

Hope this will help.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightcontrol
I am about to purchase G Loomis' Streamdance GLX (5wt) rod and wanted to put their 5-6 wt. Current Reel with it but I can't find a review out there anywhere for this reel. I'm new to this form, and to fly fishing for that matter but I would sure appreciate some help.

Kind regards,
Danny
Are you talking about the reel made by cortland?Current must be popular name.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:04 PM

current reels

Iknow cortland also makes a reel,called current.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.